2000 Discovery II (can't live with them, can't kill them)

D

davidrod

I thought that I would post this to let people know about common problems with the Discovery II. After reading tons of stuff about these vehicles, and owning one for 5 years, I've come to find out that these problems will happen if you own a discovery II.
These will (will) happen in this order:

* First, you will notice a small amount of leaking (probably coolant). You'll start by noticing a sucking sound in the dash. I've seen a million posts about this sound (mostly when you accelerate). You'll read alot of posts that tell you it's hard to eliminate air from the coolant on these vehicles. Wrong (partially right), it's because your vehicle has started leaking coolant. It is the first signs that you have a coolant leak. Just add coolant. It will go away for awhile. (around 45000 miles)

* Next, your wife will tell you that she got burned when you took a left at a light. You'll think, she's crazy. She'll tell you that the floorboard is wet on the passenger side. You'll get online and read about the heater core o-rings leaking and you'll also read about how expensive it is to repair due to the amount of labor involved. You'll end up taking a better look as it gets worse and realize that it's the air cond drain tubes. Easy and cheap fix. (55,000 miles)

* Next, you'll need a brake job. If you let it go too long or if you happen to "touch" the ABS sensors the wrong way, or use the "wrong" brake pads (whatever that means)you'll have the "three amigos" (the hill descent, ABS, traction control) lights. This sounds easy, get it checked out and it will go away. This can be true, but I've noticed an "enigma" that some mechanics cannot repair in a way that it will "go away" for a long amount of time. I've read a million posts about people having this fixed and it starts again in a couple of weeks. Truth be told, I don't know why this is. I don't know if it's that most mechanics don't know how to repair, or if it's just a problem with the discovery. I would bet that it's just a problem with discovery's. I have had this problem first hand. (around 65000 miles)

* Next, you'll notice that the coolant leaking is getting worse. You'll think that you can just add coolant every few months and you're right. The sucking sound in the dash will let you know when you need to add. Just put some coolant in the storage bins and don't let it come close to overheating. Pay attention to the gauges. (70000 miles)

* Next, you notice a squeaking sound when you accelerate (chirping bird). It will start off just sometimes and get worse. You'll get online and read about the rotoflex going bad. They'll check out and tell you that it's your front driveshaft. (easy fix) This is due to the coolant leak that I mentioned before dripping on the front drive shaft. Most mechanics will tell you that it's going to be $900 to $1200 bucks. You can definitely fix this yourself. Remove 8 bolts and contact "Great Basin Rovers". They'll tell you how to fix and the part is only $400 bucks. Makes you Rover drive much better as well.
(75000 miles)

* Next, your leak will get worse. You'll start checking out the engine to find the source. You'll notice that there is a leak on the drivers side valve cover. Then you'll get online and check it out and find out that it's the throttle body heater gasket plate. You can fix this by either replacing or putting in a connector and bypassing this. If you bypass, you'll notice that on cold mornings, it feels like the gas peddle is sticking a little when you start off. It is. This is simple fix and not really expensive. You'll think, great, I've found the coolant leak. (80000 miles)

* Next, your coolant leak will get much worse. (probably cause you fixed the throttle body leak and added pressure to the system which finds the weak parts of your gaskets) You'll start adding coolant every two weeks, then every week, then every three days. Then you'll take it to a shop kind of knowing what they are going to say.

Bam, "you need head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, front seal, intake gaskets (upper and lower), exhaust gaskets, head machine work (since they are removed from the engine), water pump (since everything else is removed). Major fix. $2300 in labor, $500 in parts (and I ordered myself cause I could save money). This was an independent mechanic that I totally trust. Probably $4000-$6000 from the stealer.
(85000 miles)

I know that most of you will say "these aren't common, this guy has a bad land rover". Totally wrong, just get online and read about a million posts. Figure it out for yourself, don't trust me.

I don't know why, but I love this vehicle. I like the way it looks, I like the way it drives. This is crazy because if it were any other vehicle, I'd say it is a piece of shit. I also have a 1988 BMW 535is daily driver that I've had for 15 years that I have never done any mechanical work on (does not leak any (any, meaning none) oil. does not leak any (any, meaning none) coolant) and it has 235000 miles on it, plus everything works on it (cruise control,air, heater, power door locks, trip computer, etc...). It's like you have a double standard with these vehicles. It's like the vehicle is a "Pro-bowl" running back. No matter how many times he beats his wife and gets arrested for drugs, you love him cause he runs great when he is able to run. "Like a scab that you can't resist picking at, cause it feels good in a weird way"

Don't let "land rover" guys tell you that this is normal for "ALL" vehicles. "Everyone needs engine repair at 85000 miles. That's a lot of miles on a vehicle." Bull, I know a ton (most) vehicles that don't need this type of work this soon.

Just thought that I would let all the unsuspecting discovery II owners know that aren't sure if it's their vehicle or if it's common.

You'll also think, "why did this guy write so much about his discovery". Because, I have read a million posts and tons of them are just "dumb". I've wasted so much time reading these posts that I decided to waste more time writing this post.

hks3sgte

Apr 20, 2004
Los Angeles
NOt a DII but my dad's DI has over 100.000 miles and has needed nothing other than regular maintenance. Guess he got lucky!

D

davidrod

Yea,
Some do. I think that most don't. Don't get me wrong. I really love these vehicles. I just wanted to let people know.

pclawson

Apr 9, 2005
I have a 2001 DII with 215,000 miles on it. due to all the maintenance issues I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. the emissions system is a nightmare. every other week the light is on for a different failed part. this has been happening since the day I bought it. I love it to death, but I don't consider them very sound.

D

davidrod

Yea, honestly, the engines overall (if you take into consideration the maintenance issues and reliablility) suck.

Don't buy one if you don't want to deal with problems.

If you want another hobby and want to learn about vehicles, get one asap.

What else would you do on a saturday?

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
That's a very accurate post of things that go wrong with the D2...

Front U-Joint ... Don't need to spend $400 on a new driveshaft, just rebuild it, under $100 bucks... do a search.

Throttle body gasket -- Yup definitely goes

Air Conditioner Drain Plugs -- Clog up multiple times a year

Head Gaskets -- Cost about 2500 at dealer w/ parts & labor... thank god for warranty

Let see... you forgot the cup holders... but thats shared between D1/D2 ... don't try to use the in-dash cup holders, they will break.

Watts linkage -- bearing/bushing in this wears out after like 120k miles

Oh yeah... and another one you forgot

* You either decided you needed better gas mileage and added an overoiled K&N air filter, or you splashed a little bit in that puddle offroad. Truck stalls out and wont keep idle. Read codes, find out its Mass Air Flow Sensor... either try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner [sometime helps] or give Will Tillery a call to get a new one.

Oh, and one more

* Time for a tuneup... after figuring out that you either need the hands of a 3 year old, or have to take the upper intake cover off to plug the wires into the coil pack, you get back on the road.. all of a sudden misfires are thrown. You post onto your friendly Discoweb board saying "I don't know what's wrong, I used new wires and Bosch Platinum Plus 4's that the Autozone geek recommended" ... next thing you know, there are 10 posts of people saying "Wait until Chris-STL sees this!". Lesson learned, use the Champions next time.

Last edited:
M

Mudquest

Can I hear an 'amen'? Problem is, what on earth would I do with all my time if I weren't spending in on this bloody Rover? Mowing the yard? Painting the kitchen? Planting yard stuff? Fixing the deck? Taking the dog for romp in snow? Giving my little girl the hours of attention she deserves? Really? Makes me wonder....

Keeping all things in perspective, live, enjoy life, and love those important first. One ounce of time spent with my little girl is more valuable than four hours spent rebuilding the suspension on this blasted beast of a British mind fuck.

Gotta go now - u joints and maf need replacing.

jasonjj

Feb 14, 2007
OH
That was a very enjoyable post I must say! Sorry to find entertainment from your misery/love but I got a kick out of it. I have been kinda infatuated with Discoverys for many years but have yet to own one. Back in 01 when i finally finished up grad school i decided it was time to get one of the cars of my dreams...either a disco or the 95 mits montero. For whatever reason i went with the montero and have been driving the beast ever since with very little maintenance other the routine kinda stuff. From 40K to 140K this beast just keeps going for some reason, although not very quickly. I have once again decided to indulge and take the plunge into the land of the rovers. I think ive decided to go disco 1 since that was my first love and they seem a little simpler (realtively) to deal with. Here goes nothing, i guess im gonna give it a shot! I'm sure you'll see my posts soon!

Gearhed79

Nov 4, 2005
St Paul, MN
:applause:

Nicely done- and I appreciate the addition of the MAF. That was first to go on mine. Everything on the list I've done except the A/C lines and driveshaft... (I'm doing the this before I hear any squeeks or feel any vibes!)

67K Running rough=dealer tune-up, break job, MAF. $1200 (first and last trip to LR PDX)
68K First sighting of Three Amigos (come and go still)
70K wooshing sound in dashboard.
75K Coolant drips noticed, more and more frequently adding.
81K head gaskets, throttle heater, water pump etc.... $3000 (indy shop)
85K (current) random SES light for evaporative system failure. I keep my OBDII scanner in the glovebox.

My additions:
-not being able to signal a turn on cold mornings!
-hood release cable failure

jkmewright

Sep 4, 2006
TN
Are you guys sneaking to my house and driving MY truck? Did someone send you a copy of my repair history? So funny! And I too still love the d#%n thing. Great thread!

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I had those problems and more with the D2. Problem solved - I now have a D1 I've put 80k on it since June 05. Now has 199k on it. I just had it smogged yesterday it's very clean running still. I've had very few problems with it.

nrene

Dec 16, 2006
Lovettsville, VA
photobucket.com
...Great thread. I'm saving the details to save searching time when I get those symptoms.

I bought my '04 knowing there would be work to do, and money to spend.

That being said, is there any evidence on '04 issues yet, or are they mostly still too young?

Mine has 47k, and I have an independent (CarMax) extended warranty to 90k... but was just wondering if the '00 D2's issues differ much from the '04's (or like I said, is it too early to tell)?

KDamericano

Oct 16, 2006
Denver, CO
Gearhed79 said:
:applause:

My additions:
-not being able to signal a turn on cold mornings!

That's a pretty easy fix. You can either replace the turn signal switch (about $50 used) or take your old one out, take it apart, clean it up, add new dielectric grease, and you'll be good to go.

C

Capthook

It's like you have a double standard with these vehicles. It's like the vehicle is a "Pro-bowl" running back. No matter how many times he beats his wife and gets arrested for drugs, you love him cause he runs great when he is able to run. "Like a scab that you can't resist picking at, cause it feels good in a weird way"

ROFL!! Greaaat post. True Story too on all of your points - had to replace our crappy Wabco ABS Modulator *$1,200 part* to get rid of the '3 amigos'... but (knock on wood) this DII has been a very reliable truck - and 100k, with no leaks. Ever. But I got 2 admit, even if it did start leaking - i'd still love the S.O.B. ;) Go figure.

Last edited:

Raps

Jun 22, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wow thanks for sharing those thoughts because as my 2002 DII inches its way past 68,000 miles, i am starting to get worried......not because anything is wrong with it now, but i know that the wallet will probably be thinning soon.

I have been very lucky though so i have to knock on wood - 68k miles all driven by me since 02 and i have had nothing major go wrong, just scheduled maintenance. But i am hearing a sqeaking that seems similar to one in the original post so things might go downhill this spring.....

But like everyone else, i love it and i can't sell it - i could have last year and gotten an Audi A4, but how could i part with my rover?

Maybe i'll put a jar next to my bed and label it "The Land Rover 401k" so i can save up for the rover when it gets frail and old......

Oh and another rant.......everytime i save up to put som mods on it - i end up using that money just to service it.......like last time i had $1500 set aside for a rovertym 2" lift with BFG AT's and boom, had to pay $1500 for the servicing with all the plugs and such at like 60k..........

Why couldn't i be that guy from GA who just won the Mega Millions?

pjkbrit

Apr 23, 2004
hummm...my 99 d2 went from 43K to 88K with only the 3 amigos one time...the dealer fixed a wheel sensor under warranty. I replaced the front driveshaft joint at 60K myself before it could go bang! Otherwise it never missed a beat.
My 04 has been trouble free until it went in for the 30K at the dealer...got a tranny code after the service and they eventually replaced the MAF....I'm sure there will be more to come.
IMHO you'll always get the best out of these motors by being proactive and carefully making sure everything gets serviced on time by someone you know will actually do all the work. I always check it over VERY carefully after scheduled maintenence....and once that's over...it'll be me and no one else that gets to work on it.

dirtygas

Sep 10, 2006
Things to add:

- the heaters in the seats burn your bum off
- the garage you take it to doesn't know a Disco from a hole in the ground, so they try to make one but dropping your vehicle off their lift,

- After you sell your Disco you have withdrawal symptoms and keep checking out Discoweb to see how everyone is doing...

D

discoIImurf

Very informative thread! I find my addiction to Discos and excitement about my Dad delivering his '99 Disco II in the next month or two growing, even though I admit to being a bit nervous.

I notice them on the road a lot more. I find myself trying to catch up to them in Traffic so I can check them out.

Mudquest, I especially relate to your comments because I would rather spend time playing with my 2 year old little boy than anything to do with fixing a truck.

I know it is going to let me down sooner or later. I just have to treat it as good as I can, and save up some money for parts.

I often just think I should walk away from this monster while I still can, but then I think about only living once, and having the Disco experience. Not knowing would drive me crazy. It should be fun for a while. Then when it is no longer fun, I'll sell it.

D

discokelly

* Time for a tuneup... after figuring out that you either need the hands of a 3 year old, or have to take the upper intake cover off to plug the wires into the coil pack, you get back on the road.. all of a sudden misfires are thrown. You post onto your friendly Discoweb board saying "I don't know what's wrong, I used new wires and Bosch Platinum Plus 4's that the Autozone geek recommended" ... next thing you know, there are 10 posts of people saying "Wait until Chris-STL sees this!". Lesson learned, use the Champions next time.

My mechanic just told met that I need a serpentine belt & new sparkplugs... are you suggesting a brand other than bosch or am I misunderstanding? Any help would be great! I've been buying my parts through roverparts.com... anywhere else less expensive/better recommended?