rovertracks axles vs GBR axles

T

TNdisco

i am thinking about getting a detroit locker in the rear of my 98 disco and if i do i will also get hd axles. Rovertracks and GBR (any others?) seem to be the most popular. The GBR are $599 but the rovertracks are $440 (for alloy wheels). any good reasons to get the GBR over the rovertracks?

Andrew Homan

Jun 7, 2004
Alaska
Cause Bill Davis is one of the coolest guys around!

I'm sure rover tracks is good stuff too Just have been treated very well by GBR. :D

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
I can't speak about the rovertracks, but I have nothing but good to say about Bill @ GBR. I bought the complete third members and HD axles and from him and everything went great from start to finish. Mine have been in for over a year with no problems what so ever. I admit the price savings is attractive but make sure you are getting the same quaility, knowledge and customer service/support.

D

discochris

I just got my new Detroit rear locker and heavy duty axles from Rovertracks in yesterday. The guy I talked to at Rovertracks was great. He said they have been running a pair of their heavy duty rear axles in a D90 on 37's and have yet to break one. I also know another guy who has them in a D90 on 36's and a Discovery on 35's. He also has never had any trouble out of them and they are both locked.

Chris

D

D Chapman

I've been running the RT stuff for several months now, and I have yet to break a rear axle. There axles are made by Moser, and Moser has been making axles for a long time. There are differences in the RT axles vs. GBR. I can't say if one is any better than the other, but the RT axles are bigger in diamiter between the "oil seal" and the splines. The entire length of the axles is the same size as the spline area. There are theroys as to which "style" is better, but both seem to be holding up fine.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
discochris said:
I just got my new Detroit rear locker and heavy duty axles from Rovertracks in yesterday. The guy I talked to at Rovertracks was great. He said they have been running a pair of their heavy duty rear axles in a D90 on 37's and have yet to break one. I also know another guy who has them in a D90 on 36's and a Discovery on 35's. He also has never had any trouble out of them and they are both locked.

Chris

Yeah and although the guy in the D90 is a very good driver, he does not necessarily take it easy on his rig. Its the red 90 on the rovertracks web site. However, he is also running salisbury hd and coil over as well (if it is who I am thinking of that is).

The Disco on 35's could be Brian Friend, who still has a gallery. He *definitely* put the axles to use. Not for sure though, 'cause I thought Brian had GBR axles. Anyway...FYI, FWIW...

D

D Chapman

Get er done........

Here is a picture at Rausch Creek with the RT rear axles. I was running 255/85/16 Interco MT's at 15psi on this rock. Pictures never do justice, but stock axles probably would have broke doing this irresponsible burn out. I broke a stock CV later that day......

After getting the tires tackey, I walked right up this rock.

Attachments

• Rcreek.jpg
    Rcreek.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 986

Revor

Nov 27, 2004
I had heard something was going on over here.. So I had to come have a look... We have sold many sets of the rear axles so far without a failure.. I personally have been running Moser Axles in most my toys for a loooong time... This is why I chose them to build axles for Rovers..
There are theories about an Axle being "Waisted" (turned to the diameter of the ID of the spline) Some think it good some don't. I am in the don't column. I figure the Moser family has been doing a good job of this, they are nationally known and they know more than do.. Maxi Drive axles are good don't get me wrong, but in the real world both of these axles are stronger than the diff that is driving them..
The Disco (well one of them) on 35" MTR's is mine. I run a "warmed" 4.6 an auto into the Salisbury rear.. It has a Detroit in it and 4.10 gears. I figure if I am going to try and break the axles I don't want to break the Detroit.. I can take this rear end to 35 splines pretty easily but I haven't just to see about the 24's..
Incedently The Blanks Moser uses to make these axles are the same ones used to build 30 spline Dana 60 axles.. I have had a set in my J**p for about 8 years now... It runs a pretty zoomy 401 CI engine, a low ratio T18 ****** and a Tera Low 3.15 t case.. It has more "ability" to break these axles than My Disco ever will and in those years of smoking 36's up slickrock nothing in the rear has ever broken..

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com

S

Sleestack

Go with the RT's. Good customer support with a smart guy. I also prefer the non-waisted axles.

Keep in mind on the rover Detroit, that if you snap an axle shaft, chances are the sidegear cogs on the locker will go as well. Seems to happen about 75% of the time with the rover Det.

Bill R.

U

upside down

Revor said:
I had heard something was going on over here.. So I had to come have a look... We have sold many sets of the rear axles so far without a failure.. I personally have been running Moser Axles in most my toys for a loooong time... This is why I chose them to build axles for Rovers..
There are theories about an Axle being "Waisted" (turned to the diameter of the ID of the spline) Some think it good some don't. I am in the don't column. I figure the Moser family has been doing a good job of this, they are nationally known and they know more than do.. Maxi Drive axles are good don't get me wrong, but in the real world both of these axles are stronger than the diff that is driving them..
The Disco (well one of them) on 35" MTR's is mine. I run a "warmed" 4.6 an auto into the Salisbury rear.. It has a Detroit in it and 4.10 gears. I figure if I am going to try and break the axles I don't want to break the Detroit.. I can take this rear end to 35 splines pretty easily but I haven't just to see about the 24's..
Incedently The Blanks Moser uses to make these axles are the same ones used to build 30 spline Dana 60 axles.. I have had a set in my J**p for about 8 years now... It runs a pretty zoomy 401 CI engine, a low ratio T18 ****** and a Tera Low 3.15 t case.. It has more "ability" to break these axles than My Disco ever will and in those years of smoking 36's up slickrock nothing in the rear has ever broken..

Thanks
Keith
www.rovertracks.com
are you one and the same on the pbb?
is this the wrong forum to explore the toy third swap and cromo front axle conversion?

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
upside down said:
are you one and the same on the pbb?
is this the wrong forum to explore the toy third swap and cromo front axle conversion?

there are a few of use here that would be interested in something like the toy conv. I may do that sometime, but most people here couldnt care less. Not to say that they wouldnt think its interested to learn about, but would never think of doing anything that extreme.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Ho said:
toy? extreme? :)
indeed.

dont you want extreme toys fro christmas?

cinsidering a full locker is too much for some people, yes a full toy conversion will be extreme for them. And its lots of work. I wonder if my dealer can perform it. Ill ask next time im there.

U

upside down

LostInBoston said:
dont you want extreme toys fro christmas?

cinsidering a full locker is too much for some people, yes a full toy conversion will be extreme for them. And its lots of work. I wonder if my dealer can perform it. Ill ask next time im there.
first off you guys need more adult smileys.
second, you can do the toy conversion. providing you are not afraid of a little drilling and welding. this is not a hard mod all things considered. its just not cheap.
3 years ago i didn't even know what a locker was and i thought 31" tires were HUGE.
now i have a rock buggie (full tube chassis) on a 4 runner platform, d44 front end, 4 link rear susp and 38.5 super swamper sxs (stock toy rear end mind you) all built in my drive way with a little help from my neighbor.
toy stuff is burly and can handle a lot. i am routinely seeing toy axle setups running 39.5 iroks, i think a rover on 35s will do nicely with this set up. however i may just sell out and drop in 2 dana 44s or fj 80 axles.
blasphemy i know, but i don't care if it says rover or not. i go for what works. oh ya and what i got.

edit,
i highly doubt a dealer will do this kind of thing.
the bulk of non driveway stuff will involve having the swivel balls bored to accept the 4340 bobby long cvs (bling, bling-for a toy front end $635 which includes inner axles and both cvs and 300m ball cages), and boring out the spindles for the toy brass bushings.
not too hard.

Last edited:

Ron

Jun 15, 2004
Main Line
What are the rovertrax made out of?

How many people have broken a stock rear axle? I have been thinking back and I can't think of too many, and the only ones I can think of were detroit related.

K

Kyle

When you consider that a lowered S-10 pickup is "Extreme" , na , I think I will pass myself.. Pretty much anything with that word related to it ends up funny as hell.... Its the love for the letter X.....

This should be an interesting thread.. Whos got the pics of the drilled up Rover housing ?

U

upside down

Ho said:
i love the rock buggies. they are awesome. but cmon now. no matter what i do to my disco, it'll never be a rock buggy. will it?

can you suggest some "Adult smilies?"
joking about the smilies (maybe some good natured pirate flip offs :D )
disco rock buggie......hmmm....i think its a great platform.
1. light aluminum v8
2. solid zf auto ******
3. lt 230 tcase(for which a $1000 under drive may be available for in the near future)
4. fully boxed frame.
5. link suspension geometry already worked out and works well. a few minor mods to dial it right in.
6. drop in an eaton rear end and a dana 60 front end, 42" tsl's and a whole bunch of tube minus some sheet metal and glass and..........vioala! rock buggie.

in all seriousness a 95 disco can be had for under 3k and it has a hell of a drive train for this kind of platform. even for a budget wheeler. bear in mind that i live in southern arizona and all we have are rocks and sunshine, so an all wheather wheeler is not needed.
also i have mixed in with the wrong crowd (guys who make fun of my 38s for being small).

K

Kyle

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh , there are rock Discos in "The works" eh ??? Veeery veeery interesting.. Can a Disco even go in the rocks ? Boy that sounds interesting :rolleyes: