superwinch sale at summitracing

quick128

Jul 21, 2008
Waynesboro VA
I was at sams club the other day and they had a pallet of 10K winches that were marked Champion, but the style and knob to release the cable looked very familiar. It was the T style that you pull up and do a 1/4 turn. I'm drawing a blank on who makes one like that. They were $299. Which seems like a deal for the size, even though they are champion. I have a champion already and it works for what I do, but isn't the same style as the one I saw in sams.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
quick128 said:
I was at sams club the other day and they had a pallet of 10K winches that were marked Champion, but the style and knob to release the cable looked very familiar. It was the T style that you pull up and do a 1/4 turn. I'm drawing a blank on who makes one like that. They were $299. Which seems like a deal for the size, even though they are champion. I have a champion already and it works for what I do, but isn't the same style as the one I saw in sams.

sounds like my superwinch EP9.0

http://www.all-about-the-home.co.uk...kg-9000lb-heavy-duty-recovery-winch-325-p.jpg

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Roving Beetle said:
Meh - OK deal but not really as stated above they sell for that pretty regularly.

Add shipping and that is not a great buy.

Find a used 8274 - best winch ever. :)

I'll be rebuilding an 8274 after the new year. Should be an interesting little hobby project.

Roving Beetle

Easy to rebuild. I have 2 of them and one is apart right now as it needed a new seal.

They are *in my opinion* about the best winch out there if you can fit it on the truck. :)

Most of the "cheap" winches are all made in the same factory, or with similar/same parts. For 95% of the people out there they are just fine. I had a 12K pound MileMarker (someone gave it to me as a gift) on my TDI D2 and it was just fine for the few times used it. I put a good synthetic line on and while it was SLOW it did the job well.

That said the next time i build a bumper I will be sure to make it fit the 8274 as it's simply a far far better winch. Fast, powerful, upgradable, easy to service and easy to rebuild even in the field.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I'll be selling my 8274. It's just too damn ugly to work on the D2.

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
I might like to be first in line if that 8274 comes up for sale. They sure do look great on a Series. That way when it's not running, I can just winch myself wherever I need to go. :D

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
DiscoJen said:
I might like to be first in line if that 8274 comes up for sale. They sure do look great on a Series. That way when it's not running, I can just winch myself wherever I need to go. :D

There you go Jen! They are the perfect looking winch on a Series truck not to mention they kick as as a winch. Blue give Jen a break on that bad boy.

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
quick128 said:

Damn man, that's a steal... Which Costco is this at? I never get fun toys like that at Costco around here.... :mad:

I need to do something about my POS winch, it does work, but its missing a crossbar (came that way) so I worry about using it for anything really major.

captwyo

Apr 17, 2007
Wyoming
Jen,

I have an 8274 that needs some work on it. I'm not going to get to it probably ever. Its yours if you want it.

Durt D1ver

Jan 14, 2008
Jersey Shore
Roving Beetle said:
Anyone that gives up an 8274 because it *looks* bad..... needs to think about that statement unless they own a show truck.

Just sayin'. ;)

Exactly, I've been debating, how can I cut and reweld my bumper to fit an 8274.

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
See, for me its more an issue of what will even fit on my Scorpion bumper, and beneath my grill. That big warn would never work for me, sadly, unless I bought a whole new bumper.

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
I know I couldn't fit a 8274 on my scorpion either, I'm going to get something that you can remote mount the solenoid pack.

quick128

Jul 21, 2008
Waynesboro VA
knewsom said:
Damn man, that's a steal... Which Costco is this at? I never get fun toys like that at Costco around here.... :mad:

I need to do something about my POS winch, it does work, but its missing a crossbar (came that way) so I worry about using it for anything really major.

It was at Sams Club in Charlottesville. It looks alot like the superwinch. I wonder if they are the same winch with a different name.

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
Wish my winch had a similar mechanism... The one I have has a clutch that you have to rotate to disengage, and the thing you grab to pull on and do so is located well down and inbetween the winch and the bumper, so I have to reach down there with a tool and actually yank it up. Total pain in the ass.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
knewsom said:

You shouldn't use it to tow a Barbie car with it like that. Just order a replacement bar and you're done. What kind is it?

Champion appear to be another crappy cheap winch. I don't think they are rebadged Superwinches. I will check with SW when I talk to them next time.