P38 Christening

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
Well after tons of work/upgrades on my 1999 P38, I finally got it off the pavement today. Since there isnt really a RR general discussion here, I'm just posting a few shots here.

I went through a water crossing a few feet deep and quickly realized that I need to get rid of the stupid K&N cone filter (installed by the previous owner). That thing soaked water up like a sponge and got the Mass Airflow sensor wet, caused the engine to run poorly and check engine line came on. I managed to pull the whole intake tubing off and dump all the water out and let it dry and I was good as new. I know that if I had the original filter box, that no water would have got in there. If any one has an extra original air filter box they want to sell please PM me. ;)

Attachments

• 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 023 (Medium).jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 023 (Medium).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 029 (Medium) (2).jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 029 (Medium) (2).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 066 (Medium).jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 066 (Medium).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 213

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Good looking rig. Check Will Tillery for an airbox.

I love seeing the riced out hondas on the side of the road when it rains. Their cold air intake becomes a water suction tube :D

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
az_max said:
Good looking rig. Check Will Tillery for an airbox.

I love seeing the riced out hondas on the side of the road when it rains. Their cold air intake becomes a water suction tube :D

Thanks for the tip.....you got it right on the money, a W.S.T. not C.A.I.

K

keewaydinl

Your rig looks pretty kick ass. I am also a p38 owner I recently did some suspension work on it. I also made a swing away tire carrier. I will post some pics. Thanks to www.rockrover.com tech section on his website the suspension conversion/lift was fairly simple. Did you have to change your front drive shaft out? What kind mods did you put on it? Did you get the entire truck repainted including the bumpers or are they from a 2001-2002 model? The reason I ask is that my truck is a 96'Black HSE and I think the bumpers from the later models look better.

Last edited:

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
keewaydinl said:
Your rig looks pretty kick ass. I am also a p38 owner I recently did some suspension work on it. I also made a swing away tire carrier. I will post some pics. Thanks to www.rockrover.com tech section on his website the suspension conversion/lift was fairly simple. Did you have to change your front drive shaft out? What kind mods did you put on it? Did you get the entire truck repainted including the bumpers or are they from a 2001-2002 model? The reason I ask is that my truck is a 96'Black HSE and I think the bumpers from the later models look better.

Thanks for the props man...... I did not have to change the front drive shaft out, it seems to be OK. So far I installed 4" lift OME springs and shocks (custom shock mounts had to be made) on the Atlantic British kit, custom front and rear adjustable panhard bars made to correct the 4 wheel alignment, installed adventure rack (very hard to find), 4x Hella FF300's, 1x GoLight (wireless remote control 6.5 million CP spotlight), rear IPF backup flood light, custom billet aluminum switch panel in dash, Pioneer double DIN AVIC-D1 navigation with off road maps, 12" Rockford P3 sub, 16" steelies with 32" Cooper STT's, lots of fender trimming.... also in the process of installing on-board compressor for small air-ups and tools, power inverter with outlets in the front and back of the truck and 2 more lights on the brush guard I just bought. :patriot: All done in the past few weeks since I got the truck. The bumpers on the truck are how they were when I bought it, the original owner painted many of the non-factory painted items and I am not sure what exactly is supposed to be painted and what is not.

How much lift did you do? Did you have any problems with the axles shifting towards the left, therefore creating alignment issues?

Funrover

May 10, 2006
Colorado
Sweet pics...... The lights one is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about the water problem....... You rig is sweet man!

K

keewaydinl

Here are some pics of my truck. I have ome 751's in the front and ome762's in the rear. They sit on top of arnott industries conversion spring perches with and addtional 1 " spacer. What springs and shocks did you go with specifically. I stuck with the bilstein oem replacment shocks. I am thinking I will need longer shock in the near future. And if you could explain why you changed the pan hard rods. I do not really know what they do. Anyway any info you have would be great.

Attachments

• del mar1.jpg
    del mar1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 102
  • del mar2.jpg
    del mar2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 99
  • mirage1.jpg
    mirage1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 145

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
keewaydinl said:
Here are some pics of my truck. I have ome 751's in the front and ome762's in the rear. They sit on top of arnott industries conversion spring perches with and addtional 1 " spacer. What springs and shocks did you go with specifically. I stuck with the bilstein oem replacment shocks. I am thinking I will need longer shock in the near future. And if you could explain why you changed the pan hard rods. I do not really know what they do. Anyway any info you have would be great.

I modified the panhards because the axles both shifted over to the left about 1"+ after the lift . The adjustable panhards are designed to move the axles back under the truck where they belong. I used 761 in front and 781 in rear with the OME shocks.

A

AlanB

Great looking trucks guys. I seem to be seeing more and more people interested in modding and wheeling P38's.

Here's a few pics from this years National Rally in Moab, Poison Spider and Golden Spike trails:

Attachments

• 06LRrally_181a.jpg
    06LRrally_181a.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 06LRrally_173a.jpg
    06LRrally_173a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 06LRrally_172a.jpg
    06LRrally_172a.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 115
  • 06LRrally_159a.jpg
    06LRrally_159a.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 06LRrally_128a.jpg
    06LRrally_128a.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 06LRrally_124a.jpg
    06LRrally_124a.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 06LRrally_120a.jpg
    06LRrally_120a.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 06LRrally_115a.jpg
    06LRrally_115a.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 06LRrally_097a.jpg
    06LRrally_097a.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 122
  • 06LRrally_090a.jpg
    06LRrally_090a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 81

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
I've seen p38s off road since 96 and they have always impressed me. On one ride it bested a tricked out 90 on certain sections thanks to its longer wheelbase and etc.

K

keewaydinl

Well I can see what you were refering to on the axle being shifted to the drivers side. My truck will need some custom pan hard rods also it is shofted to the left about 1-1 1/2". What did you use to fix them. And also what ome shocks did you use.

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com
Good looking P38. Just finished installing a rear TrueTrac to replace the diff I destroyed in Moab. Next upgrade http://www.rockrover.com sliders.
The P38 is a great truck, i have had mine for close to 10 years and over 140,000 miles.
Off to Anza Borrego this weekend with the SCLR. Trying to figure out if a P38 will fit through "the Squeeze" on Pinyon Mountain Road.

Attachments

• 67949971.Q0UDWCwm.jpg
    67949971.Q0UDWCwm.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 67934911.miWJrQOV.jpg
    67934911.miWJrQOV.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 67934699.NPPQAVZQ.jpg
    67934699.NPPQAVZQ.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 61

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
keewaydinl said:
Well I can see what you were refering to on the axle being shifted to the drivers side. My truck will need some custom pan hard rods also it is shofted to the left about 1-1 1/2". What did you use to fix them. And also what ome shocks did you use.

I had the panhards custom made at a local fabricator here. Cost me $220 for each. I forgot which exact OME shocks I used, I will have to dig up a receipt....
Heres a pics of the adjustable panhards and the shock mounts...and just a couple other cool shots... :)

Attachments

• 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 009.jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 009.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3347 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3347 (Medium).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 007.jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 007.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 031.jpg
    10-22-2006 Azusa Canyon 031.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo_102106_003.jpg
    Photo_102106_003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo_102206_001.jpg
    Photo_102206_001.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
K

keewaydinl

I like how you have the navigation set up. I was thinking that I could possibly fix the pan hard rods myself with rod ends. I will keep you posted.

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
keewaydinl said:
I like how you have the navigation set up. I was thinking that I could possibly fix the pan hard rods myself with rod ends. I will keep you posted.

That may work, I wanted to have mine adjustable so that I can install spacers later for additional lift and also compensate for sag over ther years. Even after the panhards were installed, I'm still having a little bit of alignment problem. I had it checked by a computerized alignment place and they said my caster is 4 degress off. sooooooo..... Monday I am going to get my front radius arms extended to correct that...YAY! :banghead:

etcatmeat

Sep 20, 2006
West Covina, CA USA
etcatmeat said:
..... I need to get rid of the stupid K&N cone filter (installed by the previous owner). That thing soaked water up like a sponge and got the Mass Airflow sensor wet, caused the engine to run poorly and check engine line came on. I managed to pull the whole intake tubing off and dump all the water out and let it dry and I was good as new. I know that if I had the original filter box, that no water would have got in there. If any one has an extra original air filter box they want to sell please PM me. ;)

I managed to buy a factory air box today and this problem should now be eliminated......I bought it from this local Land Rover wrecking yard called "Land Rover's Land", a couple independent Land Rover shop owners warned me about these guys and their general business practice being "shady" and they were right. I talked with one guy on the phone and he started his "wheeling and dealing" and he said that he will sell it to me for less than $100 if I drive out there and pick it up for a cash deal. I then drive out there (35 miles in LA rush hour traffic...stupid idea) and they get the part out, clean it up a bit for me (only good thing I can say about these guys) and say..."ok, $150" Of course I get upset and say that I was told less than $100!! The guy proceeded to have a stand-offish attitude and said, "OK $100 then." .....I still stood there and said that it was supposed to be LESS than $100 and he was going to give me a good deal for driving out there for a CASH deal.....he then asked me what "a good deal" would be, and I said at least $80 and he said ok and took the money.
Man these guys dont know how to talk or deal with people and I can definatly see why they have their bad rep. At least I got the part I needed at an OK price.

I would only go to those guys if you absolutly have to, need it right away and have exersized all options.....ebay, roverparts.com, local dealer, stealing your neighbors parts, etc. (ok, maybe not that last one :cool: )

ckuhtz

Nov 30, 2004
Roswell, GA
keewaydinl said:
Here are some pics of my truck. I have ome 751's in the front and ome762's in the rear. They sit on top of arnott industries conversion spring perches with and addtional 1 " spacer.

Where did you get the spacer from? Got pictures?

K

keewaydinl

Got them from www.arnottindustries.com for 1' spacers they cost $39.95 I actually just took my 1" spacers off again today. I now have 751's in the front and 762's in the rear with no spacers. They give plenty of lift to accomidate the 275/65/R18 Cooper discoverer STT''s that I have. I am actually looking to sell the spacers now. I will sell them to you for $25.00 plus shipping lets just say $30.00 even if you want them send me a PM.