Motor dies...

F

flabrit

I'm looking for ideas about where to begin diagnosing why why my 2001 Disco with 78k has stalled out three times in the last two weeks. Twice I'm driving along happily at 45mph or so and the motor just quits, twice it has stopped when I'm stopped at a light. It will not start right away - just turns over but fires up after about 3-5 mins and numerous attempts. Ater the 1st episode I changed the plugs and wires, and it was running great - much smooter than before but has stalled a couple of times since.
Fuel pump???
Any ideas would be appreciated...Thanks!

MontrealRR90

May 21, 2004
Montreal,Canada
Chris Browne said:
Battery dying? Poor connections to the battery?

i had the same problem.It would stall for no apparent reason would start back up.Would not start.Wouls start and run and would stall again:banghead: :banghead:
I guess you start with the obvious like coil,wires,gas filter,fuel pump connections,relays and such and if your not lucky mine was the spider unit malfunctioning was sending a signal to the ecu saying somebody was trying to steal it.
But like i said start with the basics.

F

flabrit

Thanks for the suggestions. My battery terminals were a little loose so I tightened them up but I don't understand why it takes about 3+ mins to start again - I can sit there cranking it and it turns over but doen't fire. After I let it sit a while it fires up again no problem. Wires + plugs are new and it had the issue before I changed them....anyone elso got any ideas?

B

barefoot

what is your idle at? should be 700...if its searching or idling lower do a search on here for cleaning the iac/steppor motor.

also, next time it dies, check and see if the check engine light illuminates with the key in pos #2...if not this would indicate a spider unit/alarm malfunction like stated above.

enjoy!

and do keep us informed as to what fixes it....

A

armydisco

I have been going in circles with a similar prob, see hard start. I have yet to get it taken care of. There is no help here in lower AL. I've got a crankshaft positon sensor on order. In the description of the sensor the repair manual (rave cd) states that the CKS can cause difficult starts (cranks but no fire), misfires, etc.

Let us know what the fix is. You'll prob get away easy and it'll just be a lose connection somewhere. check everywhere.

B

barefoot

from my experience....when a crank pos. sensor is bad the truck will run almost like a plug wire has been removed or a valve is burnt. very very obvious!

do let us know what the the results of replacing it are!

enjoy!

F

flabrit

Well... the truck did it again today, would not start for 20 mins, in traffic, very annoyoing then drove fine. The battery is good and the connections good. The idle is good and it drives + runs great untill it stop with no warning. The engine light came on the 1st time it did it but I replaced the plugs + wires and the light has not come on since. The local garage thinks I should carry a rubber mallet and if it does it again hit the gas tank in the general vicinity of the fuel pump...if it fires up after a couple of hits then it's the fuel pump...hmm...think I may use a sledge hammer. :D They also said that British cars look great but are extremely unreliable...who would have thunk it?

Last edited:

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
Wow your mechanic sounds top shelf if his wisdom is hitting your car with a hammer and that british cars aren't reliable.

A

armydisco

Just for info, I replaced my crankshaft position sensor today and my truck started no prob and so far has been good to go. I was having a very similar problem to yours to begin with. It would take me where I was going then when I came out it wouldn't start. A few minutes later it would start no prob. After a week of this it died on me a couple of times while driving. No sputtering, no noise, no nothing, just dead in the road. After looking into the fuel pump, fuel relay, starter and assoc wiring, master relay, ECM wiring, engine fuse box wiring, and just about anything else I could find I ended up going with the crankshaft sensor and it seemed to have worked. Hope that helps a lil, I had to go at mine from the hip for the most part.

A

armydisco

01 Disco is a DII, no fuel filter accept the sock on the pump. When it dies does it sputter/choke out or just shutdown? If one minute you're driving/it's running and the next it's dead with no signs it is probably electrical, i.e. wire or sensor.

A

anc

let me know when you have fixed your problem, i've had the same exact problem, replaced many parts and it still stalls!! near the end of my rope, might be time for an audi
thanx

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
If the check engine light isn't coming on I'd check the fuel pressure. Check it when it's running right, see what it is, then check it when it screws up, see what it is.

F

flabrit

Thanks for the help everyone. I thought I may as well take an $80 educated gamble and replace the crank position sensor yesterday. Drove the truck 20 miles today with no stalling!!! :D I'm optimistic that it's fixed but the problem was so sporadic that I'm not going to feel safe for a week or so....will keep you posted!

F

flabrit

Yep, 250 miles and engine has not stalled once! Crank sensor definitely the problem. Now I can try working on the 3 amigos, SLS + SRS lights...etc. etc. but at least it runs!

67cj

My 2002 that I have owned for 2 months has just started doing the same thing. If everyones is still doing fine I will start with the crank position sensor. Since I am new to this I dont have a repair manual. Where on the engine is it located?