Jeep axles

Apr 24, 2008
upstateny
I know many will think this idea is a sacrilage but it beats using toyota parts. The new JK rubicon has D44s that are larger w/ bigger bearings and pinions than before. They're a little wider and have coil brackets that may be adapted. They also come w/ lockers and 4:10s. The axles are available as a MOPAR part from a dealer for $1400 each. There's said to be a D60 version coming soon from the mil-spec JKs sold in the middleeast. I know the axles are for a Jeep but you proud sensative types could say they're MOPAR axles. Damn , I'm gonna be hated on this board as a Jeep Lover, oh well.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
You can buy a shitload of axle iron for $2800...

Given with the need to hack all JK brackets off those Mopar 44s, and weld in all Rover brackets, and with the fact that JK's front diff is on the left side, and rear is centered, my guess is that your coin could go a longer way if you didn't buy them.

I'll repeat myself - if you have a D1, a 73-79 narrow-track Quadratrac Wagoneer D44s are within 3/4" in every dimension. Pick up a pair for $300 (a little more in SoCal when all baby jeepers took them apart already), and you still have $2500 left for the rest of the stuff.

Apr 24, 2008
upstateny
Of course you need to swap the t-case...I know no adapters. Okay so it a complete drivetrain swap, sorry. I just liked the e-lockers, strength and common bolt patern. How did you know my wife drives a Jeep?

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Better gearing? You can have 1.06:1, 1.22:1 (standard D1 ratio), 1.4:1, 1.6:1 high-range ratio, and 3.27:1 low range ratio in the LT230.
There is a part-time kit for LT230, too.

Apr 24, 2008
upstateny
I'll try not to mention Jeep stuff any more. SORRY. I'm just always thinking of changing out stock parts for cheap, strong, easily available domestic parts. It seams when ever you see a beefed up defender they've gone to danas and an Atlas etc. I'm thinking of improving not maintaining purity.

Bannon88

Nov 3, 2004
Columbia, IL
northcountryre said:
I'll try not to mention Jeep stuff any more. SORRY. I'm just always thinking of changing out stock parts for cheap, strong, easily available domestic parts. It seams when ever you see a beefed up defender they've gone to danas and an Atlas etc. I'm thinking of improving not maintaining purity.

Can you possibly post some pics or a link to all of these beefed up Defenders you speak of?

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
northcountryre said:
But if you want to replace engine, transmission, transfer case, and axles in a truck, all you will have left is a hacked body and hacked frame.

You have to admit to wanting to be seen in a Land Rover.

derrickalda

northcountryre said:

i don't think you have a clue of what you are talking about.

Bannon88

Nov 3, 2004
Columbia, IL
northcountryre,

I think everyone here is on to the fact that your ass has taken over the role your mouth used to govern. Enough of the trolling. Move along.

Apr 24, 2008
upstateny
Listen I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I think rovers are cool just like the rest of you. I've never had a vehicle I liked everything about. I'd love strong axles that you don't have to think about w/ lockers. The last Rover I saw in the media was a cut up yellow defender w/ 60s in last months Petersens. The original turtle expedition was a series w/ I6 chevy swapped in.

2FUELS

Here's a beefed up Disco with reliable domestic parts :ack:

Attachments

• ext_main_01.jpg
    ext_main_01.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 110

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
Oh god forbid you were to use toyota parts...they are just so bad and unreliable:rolleyes:

these same posts come back year after year...set up a disco and go break some shafts climbing walls then worry about upgrades

MilSpec

Sep 9, 2004
northcountryre said:
Listen I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I think rovers are cool just like the rest of you. I've never had a vehicle I liked everything about. I'd love strong axles that you don't have to think about w/ lockers. The last Rover I saw in the media was a cut up yellow defender w/ 60s in last months Petersens. The original turtle expedition was a series w/ I6 chevy swapped in.

Why do you keep talking about Defenders. You have a Disco. Go ahead an put those "better" 44's under it and see how long it lasts. Why not find some PS drop 60's (very plentiful in parts and aftermarket support) and be done. Or, go yota. That's proven in a rover.

And we're still waiting on the pics of a Defender with an atlas. Or ANY Rover with an altas. I think Justin only had what, 5 adapters made. And how many actually have one in their rig now.