Rr07

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
here are some shots from Rover Rendezvous - not a whole lot, we came really late, and took off really early.
Thanks Kevin and the rest of the folk!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I thought it was $4.59 for premium - but I may be mistaken. Didn't have to fill much, though.

XD - it was in Panamint Springs in Death Valley.

kellymoe

Banned
Apr 23, 2004
Burbank
Peter,

It was great meeting you and running Big Four Mine trail with you. Thanks for posting the pictures, I got lazy on this trip and took very few pictures.

Kevin

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
pleasure's mine, Kevin!

We've walked the rest of the trail - it was actually about 1/3 to half a mile. For about 1/4 mile, we'd have to fight each yard of the way - a couple of two-foot ledges, and a lot of steep and very loose gravel climbs between them. There were some old tracks - but they looked almost like those of a tracked vehicle, no tread pattern.
That's some place where you don't want to be should a freak rainstorm hit!

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
Ahhh Rover Rendezvous...

what a circus.

Weather was beautiful and Death Valley is always enjoyable.
Lots of interesting trucks.
Even more terrible ones.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
How come I missed you there?

We came late Friday night, and the only social activity I took part in was bumming a lighter from Jim Newman, in the middle of his storytelling. I don't think he recognized my face!

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com
That last step on the Big Four Mine Trail was interesting on Sunday. I thought that cactus looked familiar.

Jack - www.madmaps.com

Cheers

Attachments

• P1010277.JPG
    P1010277.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010151.JPG
    P1010151.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 121
  • P1010158.JPG
    P1010158.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 127
  • P1010244.JPG
    P1010244.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 132

reelpain

Apr 23, 2007
Over all the RR7 was indeed a great time! Thanks Kevin for a great event. However, Check-in seemed somewhat unorganized. Three people with laptops and all you got was the trail lists. I had brought my print out of the RR7's info because the "planners" didn't send out any confirmation e-mails. (those IT guys) All the info on my paperwork said participants were to recieve 5 free raffle tickets. I asked around to some of my SCLR comrades about this...Some got them some didn't. (At the raffle they announced no one recieved them....Conspiracy!)

I went to the tent and asked about the tickets, They said it was a misprint.."Go ask Nathan from SCLR Group". He was the IT guy who made the online registration. I track him down and show him my paperwork. He said "nobody got free raffle tickets". "Can't Help you". And Disappeared (or avoided me) into the Death Valley night. Being a NEW member of SCLR I found my experience with the very people we are suppose to turn too for logistics condecending and rude! If I ran my practice in that manner I would be opening myself up to litigation.

In short, The rover community is great! Club members pay thier due's and event fee's expecting everything that's "ADVERTISED" during the event. I don't want to come off as sounding cheap, but, "do what you say, say what you mean". If you hold a position of responsibility in the "Club" than you should treat the PAYING members with more tact.

Thanks for the into into SCLR Nathan!

Last edited:

nwoods

Apr 1, 2006
SoCal
www.nextstepdesigns.com
Wow dude, I'm very sorry you harbor such a bitter angst about this event, but I feel that you aren't being fair or truthful in what was told to you and what occurred, nor are you being fair with what you observed.

1. You saw three people attempt and fail to access the web to d/l the registration info from the registration coordinator, Sam T. We had no internet, thus we did not have the info we were relying on. Did that make the check in process seem uncoordinated? you bet it did! It totally threw a major wrench in the works. I thought the Las Vegas guys handling check in did an admirable job in a very difficult situation. You have no idea how much effort went into registrations. I have over 700 emails from people requesting changes and so forth. It was chaotic right up the very end.

2. When you found me, you found someone whose job was done. My job was to create the registration website. Period. When you approached me, I told you something like, "Wow, you are right, it's not a misprint. The LV guys had lots of opportunities to correct the text on the website, so telling you they never saw it was no excuse." I also said that I couldn't imagine how to resolve it because NOBODY got 5 "free" tickets. You say people did, but almost everyone actually bought extra tickets, and probably forgot about what was supposed to be free verses what they bought. Doug Carden even mentioned that some people said they were expecting 2 tickets, or 3 or whatever. There was a lot of confusion on this issue, but it was FAIR for everyone, because no one got the 5 free tickets.

3. I also promised you to talk to the LV organizers about it and I did. We realized that we didn't even have enough tickets to be able to give everyone the 5 extra, and since no one got them, the status quo was about as fair as we could get. We contemplated to have a special item for the raffle to award to the group randomly by using registration numbers, but there were gaps in the registration because some people registered 4 or 5 times to update or make changes, so we only keep their original number. With gaps, it was just logistically to hard in a very short amount of time (within an hour of the raffle) to put it all together, so we stuck with FAIR and decided against it.

4. Regarding the registration confirmations, we did not realize that the confirmations were not getting emailed out automatically, until about 1/3rd of the way through the 100 trucks. We corrected this as soon as we realized it, and posted this information on the public side of the SCLR Roverboard. Additionally, we posted on the SCLR website the registration information so that people could confirm what we had on file for them. Your data is still there should you wish to look (albeit after the fact).

Again, I'm sorry that this issue spoiled the event for you, but i would ask that you put yourself in our shoes and tell me what we could have done differently. And hey, if you still have the passion about this, we could use the help next year with more volunteers!