AVIC-N1 NAV,DVD, MP3 allin1

L

LI-Disco2004

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in a all in one NAV,DVD,MP3 stereo replacement I just had this installed this week and it is really nice.

It is a 1 DIN unit that replaces the OEM stereo, it has a slide out 6.5 screen. Its brain unit replaced the CD changer under the passanger seat (in the US) and the anntena is routed to the roof.

So for I have been impressed.. Good sound, MP3 CD-RW and pretty nifty NAV.

look at www.avicn1.com if your interested.

Anyone want to buy a CD Changer :D

Lou

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Yes I'm sure that Ipod can be hooked up through auxilary port, but as to the point if you can actually see the songs on the screen or use the interface on the LCD.. I'll say I'm 99% certain you cant.

LI-Disco -- Got any pics of the install? Did you install it yourself or have it done? How much did installation cost?

C

campbell

That is an awesome piece of equipment. I am very interested in the installation process. Do you have pics? Is there a Land Rover wiring kit?

L

LI-Disco2004

Guys,

I had it installed... $1850 but I am sure I could have worked it a bit more but I wanted to have a Pioneer dealer do it. I found the unit on the internet for just over $1300.

They used Factory Amp with a harness they supplied. I am noticing some engine noise so I will see if they can add a filter. Not that you can really hear it witht he radio on and driving on the road :)

I added the Voice control option which was $100 and it seems to work very well also. I have tried DVD, MP3 CD, regular CD, NAV all work well.

I think Autotoys has a better fill piece: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=4721&cat=0&page=1

As far as IPOD the brain unit has AV inputs... I heard the V2 of the device due in spring will have IPOD support

Here is what it looks like:

10914116-M.jpg

10914117-M.jpg

10914120-M.jpg

C

campbell

Very nice install... I sent you an email.
I have read that fan noise has been an issue. Have you noticed this?

L

LI-Disco2004

Hmmm.. Strange did not get your Email to my MSN account

Anyway... There is fan noise but you know what it is not like the Disco is exactly the quitest cabin. I think it would bother me in the Benz but with the climate control on in the Disco it is not really noticable.

I rarely drive without the radio or CD on. I us a BT headset with my phone so that bit of extra hum is no big deal for me.

Lou

C

campbell

True about the Disco cabin noise...
I sent it to the email address in your profile... Didn't know there was an MSN email.

I have been battling the idea of a Car PC or this device. This would be a much cleaner, and believe it or not, cheaper install. I had the wife so pissed-off at me last night that she finaly said just go buy the damn thing. We all know what that means. Buy it and your ass is mine is kinda what I interpreted her comment to mean. We'll see...

Last edited:

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Do they make covers for the screen? The one thing that I have always hated about touch screens is the finger prints... After a while if you don't clean it every day those finger prints will be there perm. I'd like to see one with all the controls on the bottom half of the face so that you don't have to touch the screen at all... Can you do that with this one? Not touch the screen to work it or do you have to touch it at some point in time?

L

LI-Disco2004

Eric,

You can do most things with voice and the remote. been touching it alot learning the functions.

I am going to keep a microfiber in the truck just for the AVIC.. normally in the back anyway with my camera gear

Lou

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
What year DII is that? Is it just me, or are you missing your gas-tank door opener? At least on my 2001 is right under the hazards.

Anyways, nice install! How are the maps? Does it offer any sort of topographical maps?

C

campbell

2004 MY (maybe 2003 also), I believe, the gas tank door release is on the binnacle to the left of the steering wheel on a left hand drive vehicle.

L

LI-Disco2004

Mine's a 2004. Gas tank release is binnacle switch to left of steering wheel...

Firemanddc

Sep 20, 2004
Long Beach
hmmm...looks familiar!!

Pardon my dust.....Hey Louis, looks great...tried to email you some info and pics the other day but just realized the mail demons got it!!!! Enjoy the new system.....now you just need a GPS!!!

Attachments

• Avic N1.jpg
    Avic N1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 328

Firemanddc

Sep 20, 2004
Long Beach
...as long as you stay on the highway.....too bad it doesn't accept the coordinates! I can a Mick D's in a heartbeat though!.....Cha ching!

P

Peter-man99

campbell said:
I had the wife so pissed-off at me last night that she finaly said just go buy the damn thing. We all know what that means. Buy it and your ass is mine is kinda what I interpreted her comment to mean. We'll see...

Yup that's what it means, I have become somewhat accute at intrepreting "pissed-off wife".

But in case she doesn't really care my dad always told me that its easier to gain forgiveness than permission.

Let us know how that turns out for you ;)

Firemanddc

Sep 20, 2004
Long Beach
like I said though...unless you know something about the unit I don't.....the GPS is only used in its trackin system....you, unfortunately can't alter it!!