HELP, Disco is broke down in the hood

S

sanger

ptschram said:
I'm not absolutely certain on colors, but the wires to jumper are both next to each other and one is purple (again, IIRC)

Green and orange/green:patriot:

Got the thing home at least.. now I just have to find a switch

UK 4X4

Jul 6, 2006
Planet earth currently Oman
Note that this little bugger of a switch is self adjusting.....and some times it just adjusts its self too far,

remove the switch by rotating 90 deg and remove- pull on the plunger
it should normally click out 3-4 times.

The remount with the peddle depressed and pump the peddle a few time and you will hear it adjusting....

If it still does not work....$ 15 from indy shop or $ 32 from dealer...typical ripoff

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
usually when it adjusts it self too far, it is in the cloesd positoin, so the brakes lights are always in on. in fact, i think its impossible for it to adjust the other way and not work becuase it would think the brakes were applied.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
StevieLBCA said:
......BTW dont re engineer the truck by removing the shift interlock. Rover installed it for safety reasons and the life it saves could be yours......

No they didn't they installed it because of ambulance chasing lawyers and stupid people that don't have brains enough to put there foot on the brake when shifting into gear! I imagine no one would have survived before the great shift interlock before. Oh how did we manage?:banghead:

Cheers,

Mike

ps you still have the lever lock to clue you in to put your foot on the brake, geesh

B

BarryO

I've had the switch go out on my D1 a couple of times. Since I have a 5-speed, the only sympthom is not brake lights.

If you disassemble the switch, you are likely to see two problems:

-- there are two sets of contacts in the switch. The one controlling the lights themselves is likely to have contacts that are pitted. Clean these up with some emery board or similar.

-- the little spring on this side will get fatigued. When this happens, the switch won't turn on and off properly. You can fix this temporarily by taking the spring out, squeezing it back together, and re-assembling.

-- Order a new switch, since the "fixed" switch will probably fail again in a few months (mine just did).