My Oil Pressure/Water Temp setup

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
L.I.N.Y./Daytona Beach Fl
I did my homework and asked alot of questions on this board before finaly up grading from stock information system (idiot lights and oem temp gauge that never went above half)to AutoMeter Gauges

i used electric as i wanted reliability from capilary tubing wich could crack and leak.

the temp gauge was easy.
sender went into same hole in manifold near thermostat as original.
it was same thread and everything.just had to run the sender signal wire and ground .(as close to possible as sender.)
i picked up a hot lead from the fuse box.

Attachments

• discoweb1 (Medium).JPG
    discoweb1 (Medium).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 461

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
i mounted the oil press sender remotely to the fire wall as ther was no room down below and i did not want a sender sticking out to get snagged by a branch or something off road.

the hose is free floating for engine flex ,its clampless hose with 3/8 npt on one end and AN flared on other end , where it goes int SAE o-ring fitting on block.
i used a brass threeway fitting for sender on top , and press switch on side.
the press switch is required as i learned on this board.it signals ecu for running conditions.i had to extend the wire for the switch from down under block to remote switch.

jim

Attachments

• P1010368 (Medium).JPG
    P1010368 (Medium).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 431
B

barefoot

nice work jim! i wonder if you could just replace the factory temp sensor and still use the factory guage. im not really a big fan of the muscle car looking guages but would like a more accurate reading!

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
barefoot said:
nice work jim! i wonder if you could just replace the factory temp sensor and still use the factory guage. im not really a big fan of the muscle car looking guages but would like a more accurate reading!

thanks it took a while to finaly getting it all together to do it right.

i have seen kits that replace the in dash gauge and sender together.

the oem stuff is garbage.

jim

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
came accross this thread in a search.....

Jim I think you might be using the wrong fitting. I believe the rover uses a british straight pipe thread. It has 19 teeth per inch and the fittings you used are 20 tpi. Close enough that with aluminum on aluminum you'd never know the difference, however a 1/4" NPT is also off by 1 tpi (18) so the only benefit to using the SAE fitting over the NPT is the parallel threads.

I've found a bunch of BSP fittings through swagelok that I am going to order and try out when I move the sending unit for my aftermarket gauge. The sending unit was mounted in the cooling lines and I don't think its reading the true pressure.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_partnumbers_results.aspx?RPR=90&PS=4RP&PG=0

Last edited:

jmoore

Oct 7, 2004
Clifton Park, New York
interesting! I would love to install an aux oil pressure guage. As critical as oil pressure is to an engine, it seems stupid to rely on an idiot light.

M

mkronmal

So, what size is the oil pressure port? 1/4" BSP, 1/8" BSP (my best guess)?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2004
jmoore said:
interesting! I would love to install an aux oil pressure guage. As critical as oil pressure is to an engine, it seems stupid to rely on an idiot light.

The trend to lights is silly, but I can see why.

When you have a actual Guage, a measurement, there are people that want a replacement engine because they see there readings w end of spec.

In fact, Ford has "Guages" but they are simply On-Off switches... If the car has pressure, the gauge goes to middle.

M

mkronmal

ptschram said:
The size is 1/8" BPPM.

Grrr. PT, have you actually measured one? I've got 2 opinions here and trying to get to the truth without pulling the darn sender until I have to. Yes, I'm being lazy, but this should be fairly common knowledge out there.

Thanks!

P.S. Happen to know the size for the fan switch in the water elbow?

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
Chris-St Louis said:
In fact, Ford has "Guages" but they are simply On-Off switches... If the car has pressure, the gauge goes to middle.

So
is this what my 04 has.
Because
Im back to square one.The photos above are my 98.

My 04 goes 1/2 way as did the 98 and the reason i went to gauges.
every time i see that temp gauge in the middle im ready to go gauges.
im just not ready to screw into my new dashboard.

jim

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
When i did the mod on the 98 i bought a new sender (L.R.) and had it all matched up at Moreland hose and belting.we deal with them for or Aviation needs.

he measured the threads and size with a thread gauge and came up with SAE O-Ring.

jim

Last edited:

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
Chris-St Louis said:
04 Discovery? Do they have factory Gauges?

I meant FOrd Products liek Mustang,Powerstroke,etc.

yes chris its the same dash on the 04 as the 98 other than all the amigo lights.

The gauge never goes above 1/2 like the 98 and i hate this.

other than trying to overheat it (cardboard in radiator) i dont know if it works.

The 98 did not work.

jim