Lifting Options with SLS???

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
I have an 04 Disco with the SLS in the rear. I would like to lift the truck 2 or 3 inches. I really would prefer to keep the SLS (and not convert to coils) --- what are my options?

Thanks.

GP

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
I'm not sure why you would want to keep the SLS. I had an '03 Disco with the SLS and coverted to coils when I added a 2" lift. More reliable, less things to go wrong, etc. I was also concerned about how the rear air springs would hold up in a full-time operating mode. My suggestion would be to convert to the coils. The cost is about the same - ie tricking the SLS to stay up or coils.

Here is a write-up Jess did on my Disco:
http://68.49.91.161/slstocoils.htm

J

JR Ewing III

I assume the G4 is yours. That's a sweet looking pumpkin.

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
Thanks JR -- I like it.

What stinks is, I spent what I spent to get her, and it is taking forever to stash away some cash to do what I want ? lift, tires, sliders, under armor, bumpers, etc ...

Would converting to coils be better than using the 2" spacers from RTE? I like the idea of the 2" spacers there and then a 2" OME lift in front.

Does anyone out there use this setup?

--Michael

S

Snwbord24

I think you'll find the general concensus is converting to coils is better. The airbags will fail eventually, if you do alot of offroading dust/rocks/mud are bound to get in there and wear down the bags until they fail.

I would recommend converting to coils. The main reason is that the 3" lift looks better than the 2" for a DII. My friend has a '99 DII G4 edition with the 3" lift and it just looks better than the 2" lift on my '03.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
dont convert

I have the 2" RTE spacers for a couple years now. so far everything is holding up fine. when the bags deflate, i clean the vavle and replace o-rings as neccesary and everyt continues to work fine. i think most people dont like sls becasue they dont maintain it. I am also NOT gentle with my d2. i have the spring seats to convert to coild but decided agaist it untill i go with a 4" lift. i have a 3" RTE front springs and bags with spacers.
i like the sls for moving things around, towing, etc. it helps alot.

J

JeffreyDV

I would listen to Lost In Boston. I have seen his truck and what he does to it. If it works for him it would work for anyone. Besides, why would you want to disable a perfectly working, relatively new system?

Jeff

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
Lost in Boston,

Where in NJ are you located? I live in Barnegat, which is on the mainland across from Long Beach Island.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I was wondering if there were any pix of your truck that i could see. I am really not sure what to do, but it sounds like your setup might be a good deal.

How hard is it to install the spacers? Can it be done at home with normal shady-tree tools? Ideally, I would like a 2-3" lift and want to install an ARB bumper (eventually with winch) in front, so I need a lift setup there to handle the extra weight of that steel bumper.

Thanks and keep the help coming.

--Michael

;)

S

Snwbord24

The spacers should be a very easy install. check out the conversion to springs tech page for some pics and how to remove/deflate the bags. Basically all you have to do to the rear is raise the body and support it then deflate the bags. Just support the axle with jackstands.

Look in the tech section for the front, there is at least one article there on changing springs.

Also, if you decide for 3" of lift you will have to modify the frame brackets that RTE gives you to maintain your normal air pressure inside the bag.

All in all you should be able to do it with no problems with normal shade-tree mechanic tools.

For a 2" lift with aftermarket bumper and winch you want OME779 springs. For a 3" lift you would need OME751's. I'm sure someone else will comment on the ARB so I'll leave that alone. I like mine.

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
Hey lost in boston ...

I left a post for you a while ago and thought maybe you missed it. I am curious about your truck with the SLS and 2" spacers.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
PUmpkin,
sorry i missed your post

Suspension install is easy. ive got it down to a science. Im on my 5th setup in 2 years. im pretty happy with this one now, but keep toying with a 4" and extended arms to fit really wide tires. maybe next year. the air bag spacer is the easiest part. deflate the airbags by loosening the vavle on the compressor, then unclip the pins on top, rotate the bag 90 degrees and it pops out. bolt the spacer on underneath and reataach the bag. its takes longer to wrtie this post then take out the bag.
here are some pics.

in my driveway to actually see the truck
http://xtremebeing.tripod.com/rover/

In action last fall
http://time4beer.tripod.com/rover/pinebarrens.html

In action this spring when i got my Boggers on
http://time4beer.tripod.com/rover/maypinebarrens/

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Great Pumpkin said:
Lost in Boston,

Where in NJ are you located? I live in Barnegat, which is on the mainland across from Long Beach Island.

Im in Avon-by-the-Sea,
more commonly referred to as Avon, not to be confused with Avalon.
im right on shark river.

do you know any decent trails by you? im always looking for new closer ones.

J

JeffreyDV

I wouldn't say rough. You just have that youthful enthusiasm. I am looking forward to wheeling with you again now that I have some new tires.

Jeff

D

DiscoII

Lostinboston,

With the spacers installed do you still raise the rear with the off road button?

Ronan

Apr 20, 2004
www.roxs.us
I have a similar set up. 2000 DII with SLS. For the past year I have run OME 751 up front and "tricked" the SLS sensor at the rear for a lift close to 3 inches. I have had no difficulty off roading or with articulation. The one thing I have noticed is that the rear of the truck rides quite stiff with that much stretch on the air bags. It is a little better with weight in the back. Also, the truck's rear end doesn't seem to lift when the SLS button is depressed (light blinks and pump tries to fill bag, but there seems to be no noticeable lift - mind you, I usually turn it off after a few mins for fear of blowing a leak. I recently installed the Rovertym SLS spacers and there is a noticeable improvement with on-road handling. The rear feels firm but softer than before. Also, the truck now will lift again with the SLS. I have set the SLS spacer to about 1/3 of the maximum possible lift on the provided brackets in order to level the truck out. In summary, I would suggest going for the SLS spacers if you plan on lifting the truck 2 inches or more. The ride is noticeably improved and imho lessens the strain the bags should see on articulation. Good luck bud. BTW install of the spacers is a snap.

Jason
www.roxs.us

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
With the spacers and the sensor spacer i can still lift the rear with the button. I actually have the front about .5" higher then the rear so it kinda evens out when i lift the rear.

mud ruts

Oct 25, 2007
Columbus,Ohio
What needs to be done to the SLS system when switching to springs? Can it just be disconnected or does it have to be reprogrammed?

Thank you