Nice bumper

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Just sharing a bumper some guy made. IMHO he nailed it on the design. It follows the lines of the truck and appears to have good approach angles. Hopefully it's built as well as it looks.

http://gitout.com/showthread.php?1250-Joe-s-Landy-build&p=29137&viewfull=1#post29137

131C633C-F67B-4923-96AF-348845B39D23_zpsnyk4r2oc.jpg

29E0AC69-C7F4-4224-8ABB-0C44A72DC0E6_zps9efrvev8.jpg

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Well done. Only thing I'd change is making it flat on the front with a hawse fairlead and angle the sides more to follow the fender curve. Nice work though

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
Well done. Only thing I'd change is making it flat on the front with a hawse fairlead and angle the sides more to follow the fender curve. Nice work though

agreed. I'm probably gonna build one soon and this is definitely what I'll be copying.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
One big glaring problem is the lack of recovery points on it. I agree on the lines not really following it. There's a few spots that could be cleaned up, like where the side meets the front of the wheel arch. Could have cut it at an angle to follow the wheel arch line.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
One big glaring problem is the lack of recovery points on it. I agree on the lines not really following it. There's a few spots that could be cleaned up, like where the side meets the front of the wheel arch. Could have cut it at an angle to follow the wheel arch line.

It has ARB style recovery points.. look underneath.

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
whats the preferred mounting for these things? i've seen plenty of pics of bumpers but none of how they mount

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
whats the preferred mounting for these things? i've seen plenty of pics of bumpers but none of how they mount
The D1 utilizes 3 bolts on each frame rail. Basically the bumper slides over the end of the frame rail and the bolts slide through horizontally.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
On a D1 most folks drill a hole vertically for an additional bolt so the bumper will resist twisting.
I think you are thinking of ARB, which tend to suck anyway. Neither my HiCountry nor my RockStar Fab bumpers have had a vertical bolt and neither has shown even the slightest hint of twist under heavy winching at all angles and impacts.

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
The D1 utilizes 3 bolts on each frame rail. Basically the bumper slides over the end of the frame rail and the bolts slide through horizontally.

that's what i figured, looks pretty simple.

On a D1 most folks drill a hole vertically for an additional bolt so the bumper will resist twisting.

that isn't hard to do.. tapping the frame should be pretty easy.

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
The best looking bumper I've seen was from a fabricator/welder when I was living in the UK. He had a company that built hospital carts/storage solutions for the NHS. Very skilled guy. Bumper looked great. He took the stock bumper and re-fab'd the middle section for a winch and reinforced the whole thing. Looked stock, plastic end caps and everything with a built in winch mount. He took time to design.

The tradeoff is that once you start designing it for the purpose of offroad and increasing strength to ridiculous levels you start to lose the good looking lines because you have to.

JustAddMtns

Jun 22, 2007
NC
Here are some HLC bumpers for reference. Mine is the Bonnatti one. I still think the bar is a little high. I designed that model and Denny did a good job interpreting what I wanted. I think form and function is all there, just depends on what ya like.

lzUe5IYl.jpg

QRuvaoUl.jpg

2AYb2DHl.jpg

aBZfAVtl.jpg

Last edited: