transfer case calibration

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Has anyone attempted the manual transfer case calibration procedure?

I got a new toy, nanocom license for LR3, and I started playing around with updating the firmware on different things. I updated the firmware on my transfer case module, and it seems to have wiped the calibration. The low range light is flashing on the dash, and there are some code stored for calibration. The service manual lists in multiple places to use the Land Rover computer to do the calibration, but in one place it says that you can do it manually:

Clutch and Range Change Mechanism Calibration
In order for the range change mechanism to function correctly, the transfer box control module must be calibrated to the mechanical dimensions of the transfer box that it is connected to.

This procedure will need to be followed if one of the following occurs:
* The vehicle is first assembled
* The switch is changed
* The transfer box control module is changed
* The transfer box or range position sensor is changed
* Vehicle or transfer box control module fault has caused the transfer box to revert to an undefined range.

Calibration can be carried out using the service tool or by following this procedure:
* Switch ignition to position II without the engine running
* Select automatic or manual transmission neutral
* Depress the throttle pedal fully
* Press and hold the range change switch for 5 or more seconds to allow calibration to start
* When the calibration is heard to start, the switch and throttle pedal can be released
* Upon adopting high range, start the engine and wait 30 seconds while the first calibration of the clutch in high range is done.
While this calibration process is in progress, no shifting is accepted
* Switch ignition off and wait 15 seconds
* Start engine
* Perform a range change to low range. Wait 30 seconds while the first calibration of the clutch in low range is done.
While this calibration process is in progress, no shifting is accepted
* Switch ignition off and wait 15 seconds
* Range and clutch calibration is now complete.

I attempted all of that, and the first steps where you press the throttle and hold the hi-lo switch didn't seem to do anything.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
All I have to say is Good Luck. I think I've only been able to program a TCCM once without any issues. Usually I end up spending an hour or more updating modules and reattempting the clutch calibration with SDD. I've never tried, or even heard of, a manual calibration. Every time I have an issue programming a TCCM it is because the calibration has failed. If your scan tool can do the clutch calibration, keep retrying it.

I also wouldn't recommend updated modules for the sake of updating them. You are just asking for trouble.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Yeah, I've heard that the modules go bad, too, because they are in a place where they can get wet.

Unfortunately my scan tool cannot do this function. At least not yet. I'm hoping they add this feature.

And I'm pretty much done updating modules for "fun" now that I've broken something. :)

Well, unless I can find the bluetooth telephone update. I'd really like bluetooth phonebook.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, I've heard that the modules go bad, too, because they are in a place where they can get wet.

They do go bad frequently, but they shouldn't get wet if the battery cover is fitted properly. The most common cause of failure is corrosion in the connector and module cause from the battery vent tube not being connected or being crushed by the battery. The module is directly behind the battery. Last week I had to replace the transfer box control module, the power train control module, and the entire harness from the transfer box. This was all because the owner tried to save a few bucks by having an independent shop do the repair. I think the repair bill was over $3k.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Good to know. Mine didn't have the cover when I got it, but I did get one pretty soon. It certainly is a snug fit.

Although its unlikely, it could have just been a coincidence that the module got messed up at same time as you programming it. You can remove the battery and unplug the three connectors to the TCCM to check for corrosion. I think it should be a big grey connector and two smaller connectors that are yellow and blue (i think).

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Somewhat related....

Is there a way to adjust the shift points on the LR3? Our 2005 6-Cyl HATES 6th gear. In and out, in and out, in and out. Annoying as fuck. I don't always remember it being this way, either. Seems it started after a LR service visit.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Somewhat related....

Is there a way to adjust the shift points on the LR3? Our 2005 6-Cyl HATES 6th gear. In and out, in and out, in and out. Annoying as fuck. I don't always remember it being this way, either. Seems it started after a LR service visit.

What did they do on the last visit? Do you have larger tires fitted? In my limited experience with LR3's with larger tires, they don't like it. I've seen larger tires cause the transmissions to do some odd things that are resolved by installing factory size tires.