Rover Gear... What do you bring?

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
I'm getting ready to take a little trip and do some wheelin while I'm at it. But I thought I would ask what do people bring with them or even leave in their rig full time.

All the time:

Tool Bag
large number of metric box wrenches and some standard
large number of .25" and .5" sockets & ratchets (metric)
Plyers
Needle Noses
Wire Cutters
Channel Locks
Vise Grips
Hammer
Screwdrivers
Duct Tape or Gaffers Tape
Bailing Wire (18 guage)
Electrical Tape
Soldering Iron & Solder (have inverter in cab)
Zip Ties
D-Ring or Shackle
Serpentine Belt

For Off-Roading:

Tree Strap
3" Recovery Strap 20'
3" Recovery Strap 30'

That's all I cary with me. Believe it or not that tool bag only weighs about 15 lbs. But I'm wondering what other people bring, so that I may add to my arsenal. I believe that some of the peculiar things like bailing wire and zip ties are sometimes more important than any of the "tools" that I bring with me.

So... Whatcha got?

-Steven

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I've got a pretty well setup tool bag. Everytime I work on my truck I note what tools i use and write them down on a list. This way I don't have tools that I'll never ever need. I'm also big into spare parts.

-Front axles with CV's already on
-Rear axles (maybe a spare carrier)
-Front and rear driveshafts (with extra hardware)
-2 sets of wheel bearings with seals
-serpentine belt
-misc nuts and bolts

As far as fluids go, I carry plenty of gear lube, some one shot, grease, brake fluid, etc. It seems that Murphy's law usually works with me. If I have all of these things, I won't need them. Although others might and usually need some of my parts :rolleyes: Although if you wheel with me in a DII, you're screwed.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I pretty much take my entire tool set and a shit pile of food. :D

Wish I had the $$ to spare front HD axles and CVs, that will come with time. I do take one stock spare spindle, axle/cv in case.

I definitely take upper/lower heater hoses, belt (mentioned below), brake switch, thermostat, air/oil filters, rear axles, stock front drive shaft, fluids and so on. There are a pile of lists. I started with Bill Burkes and grew from there.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I would just add an extension to the socket wrench for hard to reach places, first aid kit, toilet paper, propably another shackle or two.... if you don't have a winch get a Hi-Lift w/ the winching kit,,, jack base (either Hi-Lift's plastic one or a well-made home-made with a small length of rope attached to get the base out of the mud),,,good flash light w/ extra batteries,,,,extras of all fluids,,,tire repair kit,,,quick deflators with a quality gauge (not those pen gauges),,,a length of electrical wire & caps,,,a fire extinguisher,,,a small back-packers water filter pump,,,depending on the climate where you live some of those quick fire starters you can buy at the supermarket,,,,something to make fire with,,,,first aid kit. If you smoke always have an extra pack or two of cigarettes!! Extra tie-rod & related steering stuff,,,drag link etc.

Ho

Staff member
steven, you have a D1 right?

a hub nut tool, and a long ass magnet to fish out broken shafts perhaps? and pray to god you'll never need them.

oh, and some extra black tape, to patch up the zebra stripping that could get damaged. :)

Ruppsrover said:
Although if you wheel with me in a DII, you're screwed.

come to papa. :)

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Ho said:
and a long ass magnet to fish out broken shafts perhaps?

Yeah this is a VERY useful tool. Didn't think about this but have one in my truck & one in my garage. It's a tubular magnet on the end of a telescoping rod. HUGE for finding dropped screws, nuts, bolts, etc

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Bailing wire and steel strap. Hose clamps.

Also take some threaded rod and connectors in case I hammer the track rod and need a rough toe adjustment.

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
Walterroverdoghound said:

Lets keep it civil here ;)

Axels, hubs & shafts will become part of the parts list as I upgrade them :)

I forgot to mention that I do have a 3 cell Maglite, First Aid Kit, Tire Guage. But I have not yet put in a fire extingiusher. I don't have extra fluids, but will add to my list.

-Steven

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Go get the fire extiguisher, then call you insurance agent and tell them what you did.

I have a hilift, large bottle jack, small bottle jack (for bending stock track rods and rear links).

A

agro1

I am apoligizing to the whole board.
(Raising right hand) I Walterroverdoghound hereby promise to cease and desist my baiting of said Agro1. It is fun but I realize that others on this board don't want it to continue.

Seems you can't keep your word, huh Walter ?

Last edited:

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Steven,

if you've ever broken down on a long trip in the middle of nowhere, you already know what to bring. If you haven't, you'll find out :)
There's no universal recipe for what to bring and what not. There will always be a tool and spare part that you don't have; keep your head running, and you'll be fine.

It always cracks me up when I read some story about a trip from UK to Tibet or such in some LR mag, and guys get stranded for weeks somewhere in Turkey or Pakistan just because they couldn't find a distributor cap or rotor.

stevenr

Apr 19, 2004
Cleveland, TN
web.mac.com
It's like Steve Rup said earlier... Murphy's Law. No matter how you prepare or what you bring, the thing that breaks or the tool you need will be the one you didn't bring. How do you think Zip ties made it to my Bag O Tricks.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 230
E

EricSiepmann

Always in the car are basic tools, 10 lbs Power tank (Thanks John!), safety seal, Recovery strap, 3/4 shackels, 2 pair of gloves, mag lites. I will also add a Hi-lift and additional straps, shackles and snatch block for wheeling trips. As well as one shot grease, and fluids, electrical supplies and more tools. I also a spare 6' dog lease, spare cycling shoes, and I think even some spare Innova dog chow in there as well. All in a large Pelican.

And a major credit card. And the repair manual.

On the way are better sockets from snap-on, and a snap-on impact driver...Damn you Ho and John, Damn you!

EwS