What springs for a DII? (And what changed in your ride when you got new ones?)

BlackAndBlack

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
So I have a 2004 DII ... on-road driving but I do like being able to go over bumps with some substantial suspension underneath. What springs do you recommend? (Also last time you got new springs how did you notice your ride changing?)

riceybean

Jun 29, 2008
Vancouver, WA
OME Medium or Terrafirma Medium, had both and they ride great on and off road. There is A LOT of info on this subject, search is your friend.

BlackAndBlack

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks, much appreciated. (Search was not working for me on mobile this a.m. ... tried about 5 times and the link never resolved. All's well, at home now and have advised shop to please look into the mediums of OME or Terrafirma.)

BlackAndBlack

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks ... will the lift on the OME or Terrafirma (mediums) look, uh, pretty normal? (I'm a novice at all that; all I know is my '96 D1 will go over big bumps and dips in the road like a champ and my '04 likes to play let's-bottom-out-the-front-end-I-want-to-be-a-sedan.)

(Shocks got changed last, so springs this time. Etc. etc.)

riceybean

Jun 29, 2008
Vancouver, WA
You should net about 2 inch over "stock" height with either of them. I think it makes the D2 look like it should have from the factory, imo.

mike97d1

Aug 13, 2004
Wilmington,NC
HD is too harsh in my opinion, unless you are completely loaded up.

Hey, you told me HD's weren't that bad when you were selling them to me???

It's all good. I actually like the ride on the HD TerraFirma. Firmer than stock for sure, but not too harsh for a daily driver. My wife thinks it a little bumpy, but she is a girl. Got just about 3" of lift over the stock springs. I do have a Rack, steel front bumper and a little bit of cargo in the back.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Hey, you told me HD's weren't that bad when you were selling them to me???

It's all good. I actually like the ride on the HD TerraFirma. Firmer than stock for sure, but not too harsh for a daily driver. My wife thinks it a little bumpy, but she is a girl. Got just about 3" of lift over the stock springs. I do have a Rack, steel front bumper and a little bit of cargo in the back.

You have a winch bumper though, on a bone stock truck I think HD is too harsh.

mike97d1

Aug 13, 2004
Wilmington,NC
You have a winch bumper though, on a bone stock truck I think HD is too harsh.

No winch, just the steel bumper.
But, I do agree. Without anything on the truck it may be a bit harsh for some people. I was a bit worried myself, but I'm ok with it.

If your worried a harsh ride and don't want the little extra lift that the HD's give, I'd go MD's for sure.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have the OME HD 3" lift. I ran it without any armor for a long time.. It is a harsh ride. Adding the steel bumper and sliders made it a little better. Adding the winch made it feel way better! Not surprised since I added 85lbs to the very front of the truck!

The truck rides great when its loaded to the gills with camping gear, friends and the dog.