Old Dogs

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
My wife & I have been having the euthanasia discussion about our 14 year old schipperkee. When the dog was younger, she was grossly overweight until we put her on a strict diet and has been at a healthy weight for years. But it seems being overwight may have been the cause for an enlarged heart. She (she=the dog) has begun to pee in the house without letting us know she needs to go out. She is either loosing her hearing or has developed selective hearing. And, she has always been a panter/heavy breather, but she sometimes seems like she may be breathing heavier than usual. The dog has always had the best veterinary care and we respect our vet. However our vet seems to me to be very proactive regarding euthanasia and has been ready to do it for a while. My wife is on the fence and I think it is premature. To me it seems like she still mostly has a good quality of life. Obviously at the first sign of significant diminished quality of life, I will be ready.
She just came trotting out of the other room with the spring of a puppy in her steps.
Anybody have any words of wisdom?

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
You'll know when it's time.

I had to put down my cat last winter and it broke my heart. It was time, though.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I don't think anyone who had to deal with this problem would give you any advice. You'll be the judge.
Our dog had a pretty major cancer surgery at an age of 12 - it did dramatically improve his life quality, but it caught up with him less than a year later.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
My mother had that problem a while back, and asked me how to identify the right time. I did consider the problem carefully, and came to what I thought was a logical conclusion. My response was this:

When in physical contact, Foxy no longer displays any recognized manner of pleasure, nor is expected to in the predictable future; this would be an acceptable time at which to end her life.

Eventually the requirement was met, and Foxy was euthanized.

That's not to say I am an advocate of one practice or another. I simply had a question to answer. The decision had already been made, it was only a matter of timing.

Cheers,

Kennith

rnewman

Apr 27, 2011
Unionville, Va
My wife is a vet and way toooooo many times we have been called for pre mature at home jobs. Her biggest concern is the animals quality of life. Too many times we find it is a way out for the owners, and we decline the service. If your dog is your friend..buddy....you will know when. They will give their all to the end. It is a hard thing to do....but again...it is your best buddy. He/she will let you know....
It will suck ass....sorry....

ChrismonDA

May 2, 2004
NC Johnston Co
I just went through this in late May when my younger lab developed abdominal cancer. Then his father a former drug k-9 has had issues with hip dysplasia they both went down hill so quick. Buck the father lost all of his lower control was dragging his legs could not control his bowels etc I took both of them to the vet and you will know when it is time. But putting down two dogs at the same time was the hardest thing I have ever done. I feel your pain group I do. Here is a something that may give you comfort. It is called the Last Battle.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
What can be really tough is when the dog seems totally fine some of the time, and others it seems like its dying. My family's walker hound developed some breathing problems (15 y/o) and it got to the point that he would be so out of breath he would pass out. Twenty minutes later, it was as if nothing was wrong. Its a tough call to make, but sometimes its for the best.

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
my dog is so gawd damn annoying right now, I think my wife would have him put down now. I am sure she wants to send him out for adoption.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
To love dogs is to know death and to accept that there's never a time we are more morally obliged to speak for them than when they face the end of their lives.

Hold the press, this is the absolute best answer anyone could give. I commend you on the thought presses. I literally could not have said it better.

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
jymmiejamz said:
What can be really tough is when the dog seems totally fine some of the time, and others it seems like its dying.

That is the problem; much of the time she seems fine, other times she seems like she can't breathe, or she doesn't know where she is, or she is pissing on the floor.

ChrismonDA said:
The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown <!-- / message -->
That's pretty touching. I'll have to save that for the day.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
We have a 14 year old Chihuahua/rat terrier mix and she has some of the same symptoms.
Heart, breathing, deafness, peeing on the floor when she never did that before.
We have resolved that problem by keeping a puppy pad in the same place and she will use that now if/when she goes in the house.

However, I HIGHLY recommend a home visit vet if/when you have to euthanize a pet.
We had to put our 18 year old cat down a few years ago and the vet came and did a home visit euthanasia and it was calm and peaceful.
Our dog hates going to the vet office and it's always an anxiety filled trip---I just wouldn't want her last moments to be fearful in a cold, sterile office. JMO.

Ed Cheung

Aug 23, 2006
Hong Kong
That is the problem; much of the time she seems fine, other times she seems like she can't breathe, or she doesn't know where she is, or she is pissing on the floor.

That's pretty touching. I'll have to save that for the day.

She is not having a seizure, right?

Edited: The reason I asked is because my Husky will have a seizure once in a while. And during the seizure, he can't breathe and after he wakes up from it he wonder around, looks a bit disorientated and pee in the house, looks kind of like he lost his memory or something.

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
try to get dog outside as often as possible onlead so it doesnt go inside. once the dog cannot enjoy a quality life with you its time. see what meds can help. would only put a dog down at home unless it were emergency. its rough, sorry.