Roverunion / Gavin Asherson

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Anyone have any experience or knowledge of Roverunion or Gavin Asherson in LA / Beverly Hills area? Purchased a vehicle off him on ebay. Things were going well, now can't get a hold of him.

He has one post on Dweb trying to sell a DII, but that is the only online presence I can find for him. He just had another RRC for sale on ebay that didn't hit min bid. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coun...rg=1011&rk=1&sd=200860457701&&forcev4exp=true

Just want to speak with him and see what's going on. Called his number and left messages. Now it says his voicemail box is full. Emails and texts have been unreturned over the past three days.

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
I have sold him '95 RRC parts on a couple occasions but never spoken with him directly and it has been a couple years.

I will PM all the info I have on him.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Ok, so near the end of my rope with this guy and figure the whole story out there might do some good.

I bid and won this 1995 RRC LWB from Gavin Asherson/Roverunion on ebay back on Nov 13, 2012. Payment in full was made within 3 days by me. Initial contact and transaction process seemed to go fairly well and no red flags. Trying to arrange a date for shipping pick up probably should've clued me in, but it didn't.

So I finally nail him down for shipping date on Nov 23, 2012. Shipping date comes and I get a call from my shipper saying seller (Gavin) cancelled the pick up. I immediately call Gavin and he tells me the truck wouldn't start, something went wrong inside the engine, possibly slipped liner. I could either have a refund or he will tear apart the engine and give it a full rebuild or will swap in another good rebuilt engine (if slipped liner) or for $500 extra, put in a 4.6. I initially said refund. Then thought about it, and from the pics, the truck was just too pretty, the price was fairly good and he wouldn't charge me any extra for the work or parts. So, dumbass me, said go for it.

For the next three months (from Nov 23 - Feb 12 when the truck was finally picked up) it was like pulling teeth to get this guy to respond to emails, phone calls, text messages, etc. He actually used the excuse that he dropped his phone in a puddle and couldn't get to his messages, etc. for two weeks. Unfortunately, I am too damn trustworthy and just hoped things would all come together. All this time I still did not have title or bill of sale either. I finally received the title the same day the truck showed - 16 Feb. Bill of sale came over email about 3 days later.

Unfortunately, title is signed by his "mechanic" as he states - a Kenny James - and the bill of sale is signed by him. Apparently he and his mechanic are in "business" together to buy Rovers, fix them and sell them, or somesuch. I try to explain this to the DMV who won't accept it and say they need a Power of Attorney form signed by the two parties showing that Kenny signed the vehicle over to Gavin for Gavin's bill of sale to be legal. Otherwise, I can not title or register the vehicle in my name here in VA. I tell this to Gavin this past Wed (3/13) asking him to send me the Power of Attorney form, he says no problem. No word. I call him on Friday, he says he will have something for me over the weekend. No word from him since Friday and I have called, emailed and texted every day.

Is there any legal recourse I can take here? Unfortunately, nothing I can do through ebay since it's been so long since initial transaction. They recommended I file through ic3.gov. I am hoping he will still pop up in the next day or so. As this is last thing I need to finally get him out of my life, would hope it would be a no brainer. He does have access to fairly high level legal support - his dad is a big shot lawyer in LA area. So I am afraid to push that too hard as it may cost me more than I can recoup.

To add insult to injury, truck showed up and I have spent over $1000 in parts alone with Will just to get it to pass inspection and be a daily driver.
Dry rot tires
brake pads bare metal
rusted out exhaust
no front drive shaft
alternator is shot
fuel pump is whining

I will say the truck does look good outside and in though. And once all the parts have been replaced/installed, it should be good to go.

Honestly, this was probably as much venting as it is asking for advice.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Make your own bill of sale from Kenny Powers or whoever it needs to be from and go back to the DMV.

The less the DMV and government know the better. They don't know Kenny from Gavin from Joe Mamma. As long as everything appears on the up and up you'll be fine.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Above is good advice. Did the same to register my RR as the actual paperwork was somewhat difficult due to moves, time, and other oddities. And yes, if the paper is there, no problem.

Last edited:

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Why do you need both?

I would think that either would work alone unless it is a state issue.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Thanks guys. Actually good ideas. Honestly, good chance to vent, plus if he ever tries to sell a truck here, it's out there. Had one person contact me who was in the same situation with the guy. Thankfully his whole deal fell through and he didn't get burned except for time and aggravation.

Rover_Hokie

Jun 7, 2008
Roanoke Valley, VA
Once you get your paperwork so that it looks correct (assuming you do this on your own as suggested above) go to another DMV in a smaller town in VA. I have done this a couple times, and it is amazing how nice some of the smaller town DMV employees can be, and those DMVs can sometimes be pretty slow, especially mid-month.

Last edited:

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Drive to his house and beat the ever living shit out of him.

Then just forge your title paperwork.

No, wait, do the above in reverse.

galen216

May 2, 2005
State College, PA
Rover_Hokie said:
Once you get your paperwork so that it looks correct (assuming you do this on your own as suggested above) go to another DMV in a smaller town in VA. I have done this a couple times, and it is amazing how nice some of the smaller town DMV employees can be, and those DMVs can sometimes be pretty slow, especially mid-month.

x2

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
got it titled, registered and plated. thanks for all of the advice.

i will say, as much as the seller was a pain in the ass to work with, and while the truck does have a number of issues to still work through, the lack of rust on this thing makes it all worth while. changed out the fuel pump this weekend and the rear was rust free and unmolested.

37e03c98-23a9-403f-a08e-084ad569427e.jpg

20130406_112112.jpg

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
roverover said:
Yes that is a warning sign usually with a Borg Warner and no front drive shaft = seized Viscous Coupling

It's a bonus.

He's got CDL now. All he's got to do is install a drive-shaft whenever he leaves the road.

Cheers,

Kennith