If you ever thought...

rdoane

Oct 5, 2004
Houston, TX
if you ever thought your rear diff was on the way out, or even had a slight inclination...check it...dont let this happen to you. :( had to replace the entire rear 3rd member... :rolleyes:

Video: http://www.4x4grace.com/photos/albums/userpics/10006/ouch.wmv

diff7gw.png

diff22mb.png

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Been there done that. Check out the avatar.

What caused it? Did you hit the drive shaft?

Last edited:

rdoane

Oct 5, 2004
Houston, TX
what i think happened was that i was to hard on the throttle and got the rear spinning way to fast, and when it came down, TC grabbed it and send all that energy into the diff, not for sure though. btw the drive shaft is fine, as well as both axle shafts.

edit: btw this rear end only has 3000 miles on it, had it replaced after a wreck in august, and LR wont fix it even with the extended warrenty. peices of crap.

A

agro1

a little Duct tape and it'll be good as new :)

I had that happen in a Yukon I owned a while ago...The dealer said he had never seen anyone destroy one the way I had. There was nothing but pieces and the entire R&P were shattered...Sounds like putting forks and knives in the clothes dryer...

rdoane

Oct 5, 2004
Houston, TX
agro1 said:
a little Duct tape and it'll be good as new :)

I had that happen in a Yukon I owned a while ago...The dealer said he had never seen anyone destroy one the way I had. There was nothing but pieces and the entire R&P were shattered...Sounds like putting forks and knives in the clothes dryer...
yeah, if you watch the vid, it sounds reallllllllllllllllly tasty :D

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I saw your post and did not respond, cause I thought it was the infamous drive train clonk.

I slipped off a rock and hit the rear DS flange had the same results. Ugly.