Crank Pulley / Harmonic Balancer resurface or Speedy Sleeve

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I replaced my oil seal and it leaks less but the crank pulley, aka harmonic balancer, is grooved and I'm not happy that it still leaks a little.
The Speedy Sleeve from Chicago Rawhide is about $45+ shipping.
Mark at D&D(AluminumV8) has one but not for the Rovers. He said the sleeve is just a band aid and suggested taking it to a machine shop and having a couple thousandths taken off and then micro polished with emery cloth. I asked if he could do it and he said yes, about $50 plus shipping both ways. He said the sleeves can be brittle and you only get one chance. But I'be also read that the sleeves are actually more durable.

So Speedy Sleeve or resurface?

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
.... I'd leave it for fear of my truck not restarting again if I were you :D

Machine shop and have them take it down a bit. But first, how far did you recess the seal?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Jake1996D1 said:
.... I'd leave it for fear of my truck not restarting again if I were you :D

Machine shop and have them take it down a bit. But first, how far did you recess the seal?
Shut It!!!
I read that you can vary the depth of the seal but its not like there's two inches of room to work with. There's maybe 3/8" and the seal is 1/4".

brushogger

Sep 9, 2010
fishEH said:
I replaced my oil seal and it leaks less but the crank pulley, aka harmonic balancer, is grooved and I'm not happy that it still leaks a little.
The Speedy Sleeve from Chicago Rawhide is about $45+ shipping.
Mark at D&D(AluminumV8) has one but not for the Rovers. He said the sleeve is just a band aid and suggested taking it to a machine shop and having a couple thousandths taken off and then micro polished with emery cloth. I asked if he could do it and he said yes, about $50 plus shipping both ways. He said the sleeves can be brittle and you only get one chance. But I'be also read that the sleeves are actually more durable.

So Speedy Sleeve or resurface?

I'd have it machined. The speedy seals work but they are a bitch to get on correctly. They fit very tightly, and you do only get one shot. They are so thin, only light pressure can be applied to them. For the price difference,it's a no brainer for me.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
ptschram said:
Oil's cheap.
Hmmmmm...
There's three reasons I want it fixed for good.
1) I'm tired of the smell of the oil burning off the exhaust. At stops the cab smells like burning oil.
2) While the oil is keeping the undercarriage lubricated nicely it is also possibly masking other leaks.
3) It was leaking pretty good when I replaced it. It went nearly 100k before it started leaking so I figure fixing it right will get me maybe another 100k and I'll have one less thing to worry about or keep checking.

So Speedy Sleeve or resurface? :)