Stumped?-DII no start

OK guys, I've got a conundrum.

DII, '03/'04, less than 100K on it.

Client tells me for a week or two, it would intermittently not start. OK, no doubt CkPS...

Famous last words, hook up the Vantage, has signal from CkPS.

Start poking around, find the control circuit to the fuel pump relay isn't doing its job pulling the ground side to ground.

Fire up the Rovacom, tell it to fire the fuel pump relay, no problem, ground side goes directly to ground (this circuit is controlled through the ECU).

Removed the engine compartment fusebox to take it apart to see if there was a problem there, nope, everything intact (probably didn't need to do that given the RCL's ability to draw it to ground).

Put it back together, it starts! Woo Hoo. Repeated it 18 more times. Fired it up one last time, moved it outside and prepared to call the client and tell him he owed me a case of good beer as I fixed it but didn't know why.

next morning, I go out to start it, no dice.

Grrreat! Figured that maybe like Dmac and Roverbyproxy's truck it might be a bad fuse box, I try a different passenger compartment fuse box (thanx Marty). No dice!

I've tried three different ECUs, two of each fuse boxes. I've ohmed out all fo the pins from the ECU that lead to ground, found one bad one, correcting it made no difference. I've worn out a high-lighter going over the circuit diagrams and am very nearly ready to throw in the towel and say that this is the third truck in ten years I just can't fix.

Anybody got any suggestions for me?

Doesn't happen often, but it happens-GRRR!

toadermcgee

Sep 26, 2007
Newburgh, IN
This maybe too simple but... Have you check the tightness of the power cable to the starter? I had the not staring off and on thing and that was all I found and I havn't had any issuses since.

Last edited:

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
Check the ignition switch harness for tampering, swap inertia switch with known good unit, clean underhood ground junctions...

crown14 said:
Check the ignition switch harness for tampering,

Done. I doubt this is it though as the power to the fuel pump relay comes from the main relay and that one's fine.

crown14 said:
swap inertia switch with known good unit,

Known good as I have 12 volts at the fuel pump relay when the main relay is triggered. Also, this is on the positive side of the circuit and the problem is on the ground side.

crown14 said:
clean underhood ground junctions...

Done. The only one that didn't show continuity was for the CmPS and I cleaned the ground up and got continuity, no change.

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
Spark????

OR

I went round and round with mine to find out that it was the MAIN relay that was the problem. it was getting fuel pump (intermitently), spark, CKPS but no injector fire. something was jacked with the main engine relay. swapped it out and it was fine. the CEL blinked until I cleared the faults though. WIerd. (but my truck is a wierdo...)

brushogger

Sep 9, 2010
ptschram said:
Well, wouldn't you know, now I have no brake lights and can't shift it out of neutral.

I think you may be able to figure this one out.:smilelol: Those intermittent problems can really get you sometimes. At least you don't have to add this truck to that extremely short list of unfixables.

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
crown14 said:
Check the ignition switch harness for tampering, swap inertia switch with known good unit, clean underhood ground junctions...
grounds is a bitch.
does the truck have any 'customer supplied' electrical taps?
jumper the inertia switch.
do you have a scope? we get burned by 203 chassis benz's because of crank sensors.