Door Lock Spring

vaden87

Aug 26, 2004
Alabama
Mine broke, does everyone just fab their own or is there a known source for replacement of just the spring?

attachment.php

attachment.php

-Ryan

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
i'm ordering a set from the UK off ebay. hopefully will fix my issues without having to buy new assemblies.

vaden87

Aug 26, 2004
Alabama
Yea, I saw that auction before I posted, but was unsure because of the location.

Have you already purchased them? How much was shipping and all?

-Ryan

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
vaden87 said:
Yea, I saw that auction before I posted, but was unsure because of the location.

Have you already purchased them? How much was shipping and all?

-Ryan

i bought 5 springs, one for each door, for about $30 usd shipped. hopefully get them in a few days and install them in a couple of weekends. i'll report back how they work.

vaden87

Aug 26, 2004
Alabama
YAHOO! I FIXED MY DOOR LOCK WITH ELASTIC STRING!

After the little spring broke, I just decided (for the time being) to use elastic string. So I tied it to the frame and the lock lever. Works the same way as the spring, just on the opposite end. I provided a photo. So for any of you that have the same problem, here is a temp/perm fix. I believe it would hold perm but its just temp for me.

Happy Trails,

Ryan

Attachments

• IMAG0148_edit.JPG
    IMAG0148_edit.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 560

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
finally was able to install the replacement rear spring I bought off ebay uk. worked perfectly. taking everything apart to get to the mechanism was a bitch, and i didn't take it apart enough to actually remove the mechanism, so i replaced the spring in-situ. all in all, about 2-3 hours to replace the rear door spring. going to do the driver's side door this week hopefully.

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
I'm doing mine right now and need some help

Finally got my spring from the UK, thanks Robbie for the link. I found a remnant of my old spring all busted inside the mechanism. My old spring appears to be installed reverse of what the installation pic shows. The first pic is of my mechanism showing the spring facing more towards the mechanism itself. The second pic is from the guy I got the spring from showing it installed more towards the outside of the mechanism. So which is it?

Thanks in advance for the hopefully soon to be working door,
Jen

Attachments

• DoorSpring.jpg
    DoorSpring.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Door Spring2.jpg
    Door Spring2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 219

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
Thanks!

Thanks again Robbie! Boy that little spring is a real frustrating little pain in the rear to get in. I tried in vain tonight with no luck, so I'll take it to work tomorrow to see if some muscle and some better tools can get it in. Of course, by tomorrow I won't remember how to connect all the arms back! LOL

I know the springs are "handed" but I sure can't tell which one is supposed to be for the cargo door. Guess it will be obvious if I put it all back together and it doesn't work. hehe

Door bungeed shut and ready to try again in the mornin' light,
Jen

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
the rear cargo door is the same as the driver's side in terms of the handed. so as long as you have those straight should be cool. no idea on just eye balling them which is which ;)

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
Can you see me dancing for joy?

I did it! My spring had rusted apart due to a leaky window seal allowing water to drip down inside the door. Had to get some muscle at work to get that little spring in, then miraculously reinstalled the mechanism and all those little levers and legs rather quickly. Ya'll weren't kidding about 2-3 hours total time...I think I landed just shy of 3 hours.

Well worth the effort though! Thanks for all of the help and photos from all the guneia pigs that have already performed this little task. :)

Jen

rrefx

New question on an old thread, tore apart my rear door latch today, and yes the spring it bad. My question is instead of having to order a new one off e bay, and waiting for it to come in so I can put it back together, I noticed the Latch says GM on it. Does anyone know the GM application for this door latch, and if thier parts dept. would carry replacement springs?

Thanks,
Ryan