DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > Miscellaneous > General

General General BS

Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
knewsom

Default Kindle Fire

http://www.amazon.com/

$199??? Wow, that's cheap, and I like the size too. I don't need cameras or microphones in a tablet... I mostly want one for reading and web-browsing. If it had 3G, I'd be very interested.

Curious what you guys think. Not a replacement for an iPad, certainly, but looks like a pretty good device.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
ukoffroad

Default Re: Kindle Fire

Saw a bit about that on the news this morning. I am in the same boat, we have a laptop and a desktop but for sub $200 it could be great for trips and such. I did not any of the details.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
ukoffroad

review seems pretty positive here

Gizmodo
Old 09-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
mbs13

I heard they were taking a hit on the hardware as they were expecting to make all the profit on the streaming services, ebooks, apps, etc.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
akronk1

Wish I got my hands on the HP touch pad when they sold them at $99
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
paxton

With no 3G and no GPS, I'll pass.

I'm looking at the Archos G9 80 and some other 7 to 8 inch tablets.

"To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence." -- Mark Twain
paxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
hilltoppersx

i would wait on the fire. they rushed this one out in time for the holiday season to compete with the nook 2 color that will be coming out shortly. There will be a 10" fire coming in the Q1 of 2012 that will be the first quad-core processor tablet on the market.
http://www.NELRC.com
hilltoppersx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
adriatic04

You think all you will do is read. Then you get on a flight and sit next to someone with an iPad and they read, play games, have the paper, email, photos, and listen to music.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
knewsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriatic04
You think all you will do is read. Then you get on a flight and sit next to someone with an iPad and they read, play games, have the paper, email, photos, and listen to music.
That's the thing - this has all that, and basically infinite storage thanks to Amazon's free cloud storage for Amazon content. Pretty wicked.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
hilltoppersx

nothing is perfect yet... the kindle is the best e reader out there hands down. obviously the screen on the fire will not be as easily read nor will it be half as good on battery life. it's running android but will run amazon app store i wish it had both the android market place and the amazon app store. i have both on my samsung charge and the amazon app store can't compete. there is wifi everywhere around me and my job so the 3g doesnt bother met although i could see if i lived somewhere else in the country that wasn't as populated it might bother me.

im still waiting. because for me tablets are still just a tech toy. they don't serve a particular purpose for me as my 4g smartphone can do pretty much anything a tablet can. and i can carry my phone in my pocket.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
mbs13

Who knows what the best deal will be out these once the Fire hits the market and RIM decides to further slash cost on the Playbook.

Im still following the Twitter feeds to Touchpad and its still crazy for the scraps that are supposedly coming from that sell-off. I expect eBay will get FLOODED with all types of tablets once the bottom falls out from everything non-Ipad.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #12
rovercanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltoppersx

im still waiting. because for me tablets are still just a tech toy. they don't serve a particular purpose for me as my 4g smartphone can do pretty much anything a tablet can. and i can carry my phone in my pocket.
Tablets have been out for a long time and are a lot more than toys.
The windows os tablets are the same as a laptop without the key board.
That said, I see your point, I really don't see the point of a Droid based tablet with a 7" screen. It's no good as a computer, and it's not a phone. All it does is run apps.
rovercanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
LR Max

I'm going to look at this one heavily. A tablet is in my future as I travel for work. On the airplanes I look over and see a guy watching the movie he wants to watch while the rest of us are stuck with some friggen chick flick on a crapped out monitor bolted to the ceiling.

Also having Netflix and hooking it into the hotel TV would be HUGE for me. It seems like all hotels have flat screens with HDMI input. Even the TV in the old hotel in France (didn't use it but if it was raining, probably would've!).
LR Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
hilltoppersx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovercanus
Tablets have been out for a long time and are a lot more than toys.
The windows os tablets are the same as a laptop without the key board.
That said, I see your point, I really don't see the point of a Droid based tablet with a 7" screen. It's no good as a computer, and it's not a phone. All it does is run apps.
that's why I said for me. For what I do it is still a toy. A windows laptop without a keyboard and mouse is useless because i do graphic design. again, movies, music, books, gps, email, camera, it's all on my Android phone.

As for netflix. Don't get your hopes up. They block output on most HDMI devices because they don't want people ripping the video to a DVD.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
rovercanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
that's why I said for me. For what I do it is still a toy. A windows laptop without a keyboard and mouse is useless because i do graphic design. again, movies, music, books, gps, email, camera, it's all on my Android phone.

As for netflix. Don't get your hopes up. They block output on most HDMI devices because they don't want people ripping the video to a DVD.
I just use a USB keyboard when I need it which isn't often. Same with a mouse.
I'll agree, I think the new Droid tablets are little more than toys Are this point.
rovercanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
Buddy
Keyboard Pounder II

My biggest concern with the Kindle Fire would be that you are limited to Amazon content only. So just like the regular kindle you are limited to what Amazon has to offer.

So even though they are cheap and sound really cool for the money. They are not open platform and don't look like they will allow you to run other vendors content.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
chris snell
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewsom
http://www.amazon.com/

$199??? Wow, that's cheap, and I like the size too. I don't need cameras or microphones in a tablet... I mostly want one for reading and web-browsing. If it had 3G, I'd be very interested..
It's not cheap at all. You're selling your privacy to them. When you use the Amazon-provided browser, it routes all of the HTTP traffic through proxies in their compute cloud. This allows Amazon to optimize the HTTP streams; instead of sending many objects individually to the browser like how a normal browser works, Amazon packages all of the objects (text, images, javascript, CSS, etc) into a bundle and ships that to your Fire. The end result is that browsing speed is boosted but Amazon now sees every interaction you have with the Web. They know what sites you visited and what you submitted when you filled out a form somewhere. DWeb posts? They can see and analyze exactly what you post This collected data, when stored and analyzed, is invaluable. They act as an intermediary, cutting Google and other data miners completely out of the loop since those guys can no longer easily determine your physical location (your traffic appears to come from the Amazon cloud). They've essentially taken a Google product (Android) and turned it against them. Amazing...and scary.

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012

Last edited by chris snell; 09-30-2011 at 12:15 PM.
chris snell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
knewsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
DWeb posts? They can see and analyze exactly what you post
You mean like Kennith?

Quote:
This collected data, when stored and analyzed, is invaluable. They act as an intermediary, cutting Google and other data miners completely out of the loop since those guys can no longer easily determine your physical location (your traffic appears to come from the Amazon cloud). They've essentially taken a Google product (Android) and turned it against them. Amazing...and scary.
So instead of Google knowing my every move, Amazon does? Not sure how this is worse. Obviously I don't like the notion of either of them having so much access to personal information.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
LR Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
My biggest concern with the Kindle Fire would be that you are limited to Amazon content only. So just like the regular kindle you are limited to what Amazon has to offer.

So even though they are cheap and sound really cool for the money. They are not open platform and don't look like they will allow you to run other vendors content.
True but they ARE Amazon. They've got A LOT of stuff.
LR Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
Mike_Rupp

Quote:
It's not cheap at all. You're selling your privacy to them. When you use the Amazon-provided browser, it routes all of the HTTP traffic through proxies in their compute cloud. This allows Amazon to optimize the HTTP streams; instead of sending many objects individually to the browser like how a normal browser works, Amazon packages all of the objects (text, images, javascript, CSS, etc) into a bundle and ships that to your Fire. The end result is that browsing speed is boosted but Amazon now sees every interaction you have with the Web. They know what sites you visited and what you submitted when you filled out a form somewhere. DWeb posts? They can see and analyze exactly what you post This collected data, when stored and analyzed, is invaluable. They act as an intermediary, cutting Google and other data miners completely out of the loop since those guys can no longer easily determine your physical location (your traffic appears to come from the Amazon cloud). They've essentially taken a Google product (Android) and turned it against them. Amazing...and scary.

Is this any different than Facebook? Wasn't there an article recently that said that FB collects data on your computer's browsing history even when logged out of FB? Then, the little douchebag Zuckerburg had the stones to say he didn't realize that FB did that?

The simple fact is that the players on the net want to gather your history and use it in a way to sell you more stuff.
Mike_Rupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
jhmover

Fox no likee..... http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...le/?test=faces
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Is this any different than Facebook? Wasn't there an article recently that said that FB collects data on your computer's browsing history even when logged out of FB? Then, the little douchebag Zuckerburg had the stones to say he didn't realize that FB did that?

The simple fact is that the players on the net want to gather your history and use it in a way to sell you more stuff.
Facebook and you

Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
chris snell
Keyboard Pounder II

Google has to construct your browsing habits from your searches and from pages that you visit that are running Google AdWords. With this new tablet, Amazon will know every single page you visit regardless of whether you are using a search engine or loading their cookies. Way more visibility into your habits.

The idea of Facebook knowing your browser habits is silly. The only way they would know is if they are affiliated with an online ad company that has ads or suckerfish on every page you visit. Possible but unlikely.

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012
Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
chris snell
Keyboard Pounder II

http://mashable.com/2011/09/30/dunder-mifflin-tablet/

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012
Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #25
Mike_Rupp

Chris, you obviously know much more than I do about techie stuff. Please explain to me how Facebook recommends people to friend with whom the only way I've ever had any contact on my computer is by an email? Mind you, I run Apple Mail to access my email and don't do so in a web browser.

These people are not in my Yahoo address book, nor are they in my address book on my iMac.

In my mind, FB is a virus.
Mike_Rupp is offline   Reply With Quote