Cruise Control Vacuum Pump Fixed! Brilliant Repair

onewhippedpuppy

Apr 11, 2009
Wichita, KS
And when I say brilliant, I'm giving myself zero credit. The below quote is from a 2007 posting and I didn't see it repeated in my searching, hence I thought it was justified to repost it. I replaced my vacuum lines which did absolutely nothing, when I went looking for my vacuum pump I found it caked in mud likely from a previous owner's adventures. I used the below procedure and now it works great. Of course I'm sure that now something else will break (it is British after all) but I was very happy to have saved $100+ for a new pump. Hopefully someone else can benefit as well.

MNSUROVER said:
I was having issues with my pump as well and was able to fix it. There are two nipples coming off a diaphragm at the end of the pump, (one splits the other is straight, I think). At the base of each nipple is a one way valve. One only lets air in the other only let?s air out. In the case of my pump I found that one of the valves was stuck so it would not pump. I could tell by trying to suck or blow on each of the lines to the diaphragm. One only allowed air out the other would go both ways.

Not that I can recommend doing this but to fix mine I used a 9 volt battery across the terminals to make the pump run then stuck the suction hose into a glass of water. It took a little bit to get the pump to prime but when it did dirt came out with the water the first few pumps then it started to pump water pretty steady. Then I ran it dry and checked the valves by blowing into them and both worked. Since then the pump has worked fine.

It has been awhile since I have done this though so I can't remeber which terminals I went across with the battery. You might be able to see by looking behind the oval cover. One connnects to a relay to close a valve, one connects to the pump and the other is ground with both connected to it. The 9 volt worked good since the battery terminals lined up with the connections on the pump

Jan

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Have you checked the bypass lines or opened the case?

I just did this the other day, there is a bypass line that goes into the casing, one goes to a electrically operated plug the other goes into the case its self. The one that went into the case freely, its a little hole to the left of the electrically operated actuator, had mud in it, and there was some in the case its self.

I thought about taking pictures but my OCD/ADD kicked in and it was back in before i realised what i was doing.....

onewhippedpuppy

Apr 11, 2009
Wichita, KS
Nothing else was required. I did the water fix as Jan recommended (see quote above) and it fixed it. I only wanted to share Jan's fix, as I've never seen it referenced here since (and I did a lot of searching on the topic).