Any issues with a 6.6 Duramax?

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
Duramax problems start and end with the fuel system. Injectors, lines, injection pump, injection pump driver, the list goes on and on. I would say that the duramax fuel system problems rival the ford 6.0 PSD problems.

The answer to this questions, and all your other questions is as follows- Cummins. At least when (if?) you have a problem you can fix it yourself. Engine problems on mine have been: intercooler pipe clamp came loose, leaking fuel pipe o-ring and a cracked AC compressor bracket. I fixed the clamp in a parking lot, I bought new o-rings for less than $20 and replaced them in about 20 minutes, and I just re-welded the cracked bracket.

LR Max

May 1, 2004
Hotlanta, GA
I've been hearing of front suspension trouble from the guys who lift and put on bigger tires. Like, A LOT more wear than putting bigger tires on a PSD (which apparently crap ball joints??). So as long as you don't need to jack it up for your frat, you should be fine.

That is all I got. I think they are nice trucks for towing and road use. But then again I'm a Chevy/GM kinda guy so my opinion is biased.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I just talked to a guy at a job in Sonoma who has an F450. He pulls about a 20' trailer behind it. I asked about his mileage - he told me pulling that trailer he was getting 5.5 to 6 MPG. My dad used to have a Chevy with a 454 in it that did that good pulling a 29' 5th wheel. I'm sure the Ford would leave it in the dust in a trailer pull uphill, but that mileage just sucks.

I had a friend had a Dodge with a Cummins who pulled a trailer with a Jeep on it one time from Paso Robles, CA to Fremont, CA and was getting about 18 MPG.

lgoldd1

Feb 24, 2005
Granbury, Texas
x2 on the Cummins, they are solid, just get one before the blue tech egr crap they put on them which was around 2005 or 2006 I believe. That system has been problematic.

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
lgoldd1 said:
x2 on the Cummins, they are solid, just get one before the blue tech egr crap they put on them which was around 2005 or 2006 I believe. That system has been problematic.

That was in 07 03-06 is the one you want. I have one with 225k on it, I bought it with 90 something and since i have had it it mostly hauls cars. Can't say enough good stuff about it. Gets 17-18 pulling a p38