Choose your spotter carefully!

LuisC

Jun 25, 2004
Austin, Texas
Couldn't blame it on woman driver? LOL
The spotter did give a mixed signal there though. He was pointing to the obstacle that caused the rollover but the signal could have been interpreted as turn right.

clarkwjackson

Oct 22, 2007
UT
How, as the driver don't you FEEL the weight shift over, it seemed there were at least 2 or 3 points where she could either corrected or even backed out of the bad line. It was painful watching the jeep get crossed up sooooo slowly. I kept thinking, any second she'll correct the line but no she just crossed it all up...lucky that thing landed back on the wheels and didn't cartwheel/barrel roll all the way down.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Terrible spotting - walking backwards, un-clear hand signals, standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the truck that is heading TOWARDS you! When a spotter changes his/her position he/she should stop the vehicle, change position and then resume the driver. Absolute failure at spotting here!

Bad driver! No seat belt, not stopping the vehicle when the spotter moved, acting like a "servo" instead of a thinking driver(when she felt the wheel lift and awkward position on the hill she should have stopped and asked the spotter what his plan is instead of continuing), and not IMMEDIATELY pointing the vehicle down the fall line, and it appears that she was not using engine breaking in her lowest gear when things went south. (She wasn't prepared for the worst and paid the consequences for it.)

Wow!

Two Cold Soakers

Apr 24, 2007
At your mom's
Those hand signals were junk. It looked like he was shoooing flies.

My only comment to that idiot would have been "Put your hands in your pockets and get out of my way!"

Not to excuse the careless driver. There were at least two opportunities to correct and get a stable line. No seatbelt? Didn't read that.

I watched that with my 8 and 5 yo daughters and they could see the fail as it was evolving.

Last edited:

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
emmodg said:
Terrible spotting - walking backwards, un-clear hand signals, standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the truck that is heading TOWARDS you! When a spotter changes his/her position he/she should stop the vehicle, change position and then resume the driver. Absolute failure at spotting here!

Bad driver! No seat belt, not stopping the vehicle when the spotter moved, acting like a "servo" instead of a thinking driver(when she felt the wheel lift and awkward position on the hill she should have stopped and asked the spotter what his plan is instead of continuing), and not IMMEDIATELY pointing the vehicle down the fall line, and it appears that she was not using engine breaking in her lowest gear when things went south. (She wasn't prepared for the worst and paid the consequences for it.)

Wow!

100% correct. That whole video is what people who use MBA speak would call a teachable moment.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Unbelievable. All that's been said about it here is correct.

I never knew this place even needed spotting - I drove down it and up before I knew it was called "Heart Attack Hill."

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
yikes... time to hide this vid from the wife!

edit: PM, just saw the simupost...

p m said:
Unbelievable. All that's been said about it here is correct.

I never knew this place even needed spotting - I drove down it and up before I knew it was called "Heart Attack Hill."

That's awesome.

Big Papa

Jan 3, 2007
McKinney, TX
Turn that way, no no no, that way. Wait...turn that way, stop wait, turn your wheels the other way, wait no, the other way.....geez

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
I don't even know why she had a spotter in the first place. He was worthless and she wasn't following direction anyway. Spotter's lucky he didn't get smashed.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
In situations like this, a spotter must stop the driver and ask if he/she wants any help.
If the driver confirms, they have to go over the rules - which signs mean what, and the spotter must insist on driver following the directions.
It is a bit of a tough spot since a spotter somewhat takes responsibility for the following, but that's the only way it works.

In this case, the spotter had some laid-back attitude - I think he's pointed the climb at the right side as a danger to watch out, but the woman driver must not have heard his words and interpreted his finger gesture as direction, and followed it. He should have yelled "Stop" immediately when she proceeded towards the climb.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Speaking of the driver "acting as a servo" - I am not sure whether it's good or bad.
One time in Death Valley, Will Selden from NorCalLR gave an exellent example of being a "servo" - following exactly the spotter's directions. And it worked remarkably well - good spotting followed by exact execution of directions.
In this case, Will knew the spotter and trusted him 100%; a good driver should also have a feeling of whether the spotter is good or not.

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
I feel that when I accept a spotters help that I should follow the directions of the spotter exactly. I look at the spotter and not at anything else. As you mentioned, there must be an assessment of the spotters abilities prior to handing over the "con" and if I do not know and trust the spotter then I will ask them to move out of the way.

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
The spotter was clueless.

At 1:43 he directs her to turn right, up the embankment, diagonal across the hill and into a roll-over scenario.