What do you take for spare parts

Cadaver

May 22, 2004
Alabama, Kentucky
What type of spare parts do you take for an extended trip/trail ride?

I usually pack extra oil and filter, and ****** fluid. I am thinking about purchasing a new fuel pump and brake light switch to carry around just in case. Plus with 80k on the odo, the fuel pump may decide to crap out on the road. Just curious as to what you people take with you as far as parts, not tools.

LRNationals

Mar 20, 2005
axles, drag link and trac bar all ready to pop in with ball joints, coil, rotor, cap, high tension leads, ..... spars a plenty with the series.......

JeffM

Apr 20, 2004
New Hampshire
You did say extended trip

Here's what I took to Tuk (with the exception of the alternator - couldn't get one in time).

belts
filters (air, fuel, oil)
tie rod ends
cv joint
UJ's
wheel bearings
spark plugs
plug leads
starter motor
alternator
oil etc
pads
tire plug kit
hoses (radiator)
rad weld
fuses
bulbs
workshop manual
three gallons coolant
exhaust bandage, paste and clamps
relays etc
brake light switch
emergency windscreen material
duct tape
oil (sump)
windscreen washer fluid (5 gallons)
wire and connectors
Instant gasket
water pump
spare nuts and bolts
bracket making material
hose clamps
power steering box repair kit
brake hoses

Hope that helps

Jeff

JeffM

Apr 20, 2004
New Hampshire
Yep - I figured that out in the middle of the NWT in the dead of winter it would be worth the extra weight :)

Jeff

David Kronenfeld

May 27, 2004
Tampa, FL
Jeff-
What of that did you have to use? And if you had to limit yourself to, say, half or a quarter of that list what would you have left out? Also, if you were to do that trip again (my school break just didn't work out with the dates for Tuk) what would you add or subtract?

JeffM

Apr 20, 2004
New Hampshire
I think the only thing we used in the end was some bearings, tie rod ends and a thermostat (was that on the list). If I did it again - I may leave of the starter/alternator ...... but then again Murphy's law would dictate that the moment I left something off the list it would be the one thing that breaks.

I had all this stuff packed in a Hardigg case inside the truck and a couple of cheapo (from walmart) plastic case on the roof rack.

I think if I was to do the trip again I would probably leave out things like the screen washer fluid and some of the consumables since there were enough gas stations along the way to be able to replace most things.

Jeff

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
Currently in a case in the back of the disco:

starter
alternator
water pump
power steering pump
CVs
MAF
IAC
TPS
VSS
expansion tank
serpentine belt
AMR2010
timken bearings
u-joints
plugwires
spark plugs
brake lines
lug nuts
nuts and bolts
wire and connections
fuses
relays
bulbs
motor oil
ATF
90 wt
coolant
power steering
brake fluid
grease
octane booster
air filter
oil filter
hose
hose clamps
cable
ferrules

S

syoung

wouldn't this be easier? Then you don't have to install the spares... they're already all connected together.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 165
D

D Chapman

I carry everything but what I need seems like...

F/R driveshafts
Axles/CV's
hoses
belt
belt tensioner pulley
break lines
clamps
wheel bearings
transmission fluid (Quart)
Motor oil (Quart)
brake fluid
wire
duct tape
nuts and bolts
AAA Card

then I have a small box of junk that has plug wires, spark plugs, gaskets, plumers tape, and just some random shit.....

There is always bottled water in the cooler, if I need coolant....

Cadaver

May 22, 2004
Alabama, Kentucky
Excellent ideas. I havent accumulated that many extra parts yet. I usually try to hang on to the factory stuff if I upgrade or replace. Ie plug wires, belts, axles. The reason I posted this topic was that Im planning a trip to Colorado from Western KY with the family to do some sight seeing and hopefully check out the Solihull Rally. The last small excursion we had a truck in our group that lost a fuel pump. Fortunately, he had a spare. Got me to thinking... then worrying. Maybe I should start stockpiling some of these things before hand. I guess its a matter of knowing your truck and guessing on what could possibly go wrong. I dont have a roof rack, so space is rather limited. Im working on building a shelf type system for the cargo area to help with storage/organization.

D

D Chapman

Just think of the things you will need in order to get home. Like an expansion tank would be overkill because you can bypass the entire tank if needed. But, if your belt breaks, your stuck.

S

syoung

You can minimize the spares kit by replacing things as they age before they go bad. Water pump comes to mind- if you have a lot of miles and a spare Saturday morning- swap it before it goes bad. Same for fuel filters and pumps, belt tensioners, etc.
Carrying spare shafts etc is kinda overkill unless you are going to be WELL off the beaten path. Road tripping in populated areas doesn't require the full 'expedition kit.'

D

D Chapman

syoung said:
You can minimize the spares kit by replacing things as they age before they go bad. Water pump comes to mind- if you have a lot of miles and a spare Saturday morning- swap it before it goes bad. Same for fuel filters and pumps, belt tensioners, etc.
Carrying spare shafts etc is kinda overkill unless you are going to be WELL off the beaten path. Road tripping in populated areas doesn't require the full 'expedition kit.'

I don't know that I agree with that Steve. Yea, a water pump may give you a little warning before it goes, but even a new fuel pump may just quit, then what... But, something like a 6.00 belt tensioner bearing is priceless if you need it, and it takes up no room. With your theroy of thinking, if I just buy a new truck, I don't need to bring anything, right?

S

syoung

I'm not saying that- but then again I'd bet my 95 is more likely to break than my 04 simply because of age and wear.
All I meant was that SO many people wait till stuff breaks before they change it. Water pumps especially. If you rely on your rig to go WAY off the beaten path, it should be maintained at a higher level than the grocery fetcher where you just call AAA to come pick it up from Starbucks when the disgronifier breaks.

Cadaver

May 22, 2004
Alabama, Kentucky
Belt tensioner! Forgot that one. I had one go out on a pickup... what a mess! Add that to my list.

I agree with both camps. Because of cost, I probably wouldnt run out and buy a new alt or water pump for a spare. I just replaced both recently. However, the fuel pump is probably next in line. So, Im thinking about buying a new unit for the spare. Might be a good time to check with people parting trucks out.

D

D Chapman

Thats what I do. I just wait and buy stuff at a good deal, weather I really need it or not at the moment. Sometimes on ebay, you can get stuff crazy cheap. I got a front driveshaft there once for 20 bucks, in great shape! It cost me 10 or so to ship it, but even at 30 bucks, it's still a deal...

vabiro

JeffM said:
I think if I was to do the trip again I would probably leave out things like the screen washer fluid and some of the consumables since there were enough gas stations along the way to be able to replace most things.

Jeff

I was on the trip to Tuk with Jeff, and there are two things that stick out in my mind: The ODBII Reader and the Hub Tool . The latter is often overlooked, but there was no substitute when we needed it on Patrick's Range Rover and Jeff's Disco.

The ODBII reader is a nice to have in any case. It sure makes diagnosis easier. Sometimes being able to turn off the "Check Engine" light is important. For example, if the light is on for some inconsequential reason (mine turned on when the engine temp climbed while stuck in a snow bank), it isn't available to report something worthwhile.

Victor

Last edited: