CEL light with codes P1313 and P1314

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
I'm trying to get home and I'm at my wits end here. Had the transmission replaced after it started slipping, tech told me that the seal between the transfercase and transmission went out - killing the transmission. Anyhow, got the rig back and was packing/road testing and then all of a sudden the CEL light came on. First it started blinking, and then went solid, at some point it started blinking again and went solid. I went to autozone and pulled two codes P1313 and P1314. Does anyone know what these codes are. I've done a search and I can't get a definitive answer.

P1313 - misfire rate catalyst damage fault - bank 1
P1314 - misfire rate catalyst damage fault - bank 2

The rig is a 96 Discovery I and it runs like a champ now. Some posts say misfire in cylinder 4, and I can't see that - it runs perfect. Some say its the cats, are there 2? Are there sensors around it?

alex3324

Oct 19, 2004
Valhalla I am coming home!
I don't know exactly on the '96, but my '99 D1 NAS has two cats, with four O2 sensors; one upstream of each of the cats, one each downstream of the cats. The sensors are good for about 80,000 miles. I don't think the transmission problem and this are related. When you took it to the 'Zone, did they clear the codes? If so, did the codes come back or did it really clear them? If the light's still out, it's probably just a gremlin, but worth checking in to. IMHO: If youthink it's the O2 sensors, check the downstream sensors first, as the upstream sensors wouldn't know how well the cats are working to throw those codes.

Last edited:

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
Its been 2 years since the plugs have been replaced. I should take a look at them anyhow. Now, for the strange thing. I spoke with a LR tech and he said that I could drive it - as long as the check engine light was solid. If it was blinking, it means that something is immediately going, but otherwise its fine. Well, when I started the rig up to leave Portland - the light went out!! Disappeared...

A stop in Eugene for a few hours, and the light came back on. It stayed solid until Redding, where it disappeared again....

3 more fuel stops, and a 2hr nap, and the light was still off.

I drove it the 1000 miles back from portland to LA and it drove like a champ. Nothing leads me to belive that there's anything wrong with it.

Curious, I thought that once the CEL came on, it stayed on until the codes were cleared. Why would this light just extinguish out? I know the bulb is ok, because I see it flash on, on startup.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
the CEL will clear itself if there is no more occurances of the issue after a set period of time (I forget the time or instance number) It may be something as simple as the gas cap may not be tight...

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
Even with the two codes P1313 and P1314? The tech didn't think it was an issue, and that I could still continue to drive it down and eventually have him take a look at it (of course).

S

Stone Cipher

From Mitchell OnDemand-
If catalyst damage levels of misfire are detected the fault code is stored immediately. If misfire above the emission threshold is detected, then a code will be stored. The MIL will flash as long as catalyst damage misfire is present. The condition can be erased on intervening fault free driving cycles as allowed in OBD II regulations.
The flashing fault code indicated that the misfires were above the threshold level of catylist damage. then went solid as the mixture leaned out. It seems that the ECU was able to correct the mixture enough and for long enough to satisfy the OBD II that the cat was no longer in danger of damage.
I would change plugs/ wires, cap/rotor, etc- do a basic tune up and drive it to see if anything comes up.

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
damn - light came back on. Since there's no cap/rotor it sounds like plugs and wires are on the list. Its strange though. Other people who have the same codes also have problems with the rig running rough or idle problems, but mine is running like it came off the show room floor. Where are these sensors that record a P1313 or P1314? Maybe when they replaced the transmission - there may be a loose connection here.

Last edited:

alex3324

Oct 19, 2004
Valhalla I am coming home!
I wonder if they had to drop the Y-pipe when they did the transmission work? If they did that, they most definitley would have had to disconnect the O2 sensors. Check to make sure they're all plugged in properly. Maybe they didn't get one plugged tight enough?

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
This afternoon, the blinking CEL light came back. I ended up disconnecting the aft O2 sensors and reconnected them. They seemed fine, the connections were solid so nothing obvious here. Nonetheless when I started the rig back up - light went off.

I'll have to drive it a bit to see if it comes back on...

When it rains it pours. Someone hit my Disco yesterday - caused my headlight peeier to be smashed. Wasn't a big deal to replace it - but it urks me either way.

Oct 27, 2004
A Blinking check engine light means the the Rear o2 sensors are seeing a overwhelming amount of fuel and exhaust going into the cats.

When its blinking, the cats are likely melting internally.

I cannot think of a example when this hasn't been a fuel injector.

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
I'm going back to Autozone to have the codes read again just to confirm what the problem is. I had the injectors sent out not too long ago and they came back perfect and within spec.

Porter

Apr 20, 2004
The saga continues...

So, a few days ago I went back to Autozone, and got the codes read. In addition to the P1313 and P1314, I also got a P0300 - a multiple misfire error. I was so fed up I bent over and took it to the dealer for $200 diagnosis.

They came back with a 3200 valve job. My jaw just dropped, only 2 weeks ago I had to have my transmission replaced at a cost of 4500. Today, after picking up the rig I ran over to NAPA and got some Seafoam. It was hard for me to belive that its a valve problem becuase it runs perfect - nothing to suspect such an issue, but then again I'm not a mechanic.

Put in the seafoam tonight. Near the end of the bottle, I noticed a huge smokescreen coming out that engulfed the disco. I was considering trickling water through the same port, to help clean out the valves some more - has anyone tried this? Any recomendations?