Britpart Gaz springs & shocks: who has used them?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The situation: my recently purchased 1998 Disco LSE has its original shocks and springs, handles like you'd expect. I want to replace them as soon as I save my lunch money for a new setup.

The catch: I want to keep my ride height as close as possible to standard but still have the benefits of improved performance suspension setup.

The only options I have found so far to accomplish my goal of improving the suspension setup without gaining more than 1" lift are
(a) genuine LR springs, i.e. stock but brand new ($160/4 springs)
(b) Britpart suspension kit ($520/4 springs + 4 shocks):
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8570.cfm

I've researched the options on all the major aftermarket parts retailers in the US (RN, AB, BP, DAP, RTE, etc.) and other than genuine LR springs I can't find replacements that retain standard ride height. A search of these forums turned up no mention of Britpart.

I'm sure I want a medium-duty spring. On my Range Rover I installed heavy duty springs which resulted in a 1" lift but I did not like the ride. Medium-duty springs claim to support a bit more weight than stock but still give a reasonably compliant ride when unladen.

Here are the questions I'd like input on:
1. Has anyone used the Britpart kit? Impressions?
2. Can you recommend any other manufacturer who makes decent springs that raise the ride height by one inch or less?

I'd like to focus on options within these constraints. There are enough threads on this board already dealing with lift and suspension height. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

jasonmk12

Jul 8, 2005
Portland, OR
Be a man and get a OME kit. I don't know why you want to keep standard ride height but 2" is not going to make it really tall and it will ride much better than stock springs.

Another option if you don't want to just nut up and get the OME kit is to look locally for a spring manufacturer (there are like 2 or 3 in Portland area) and have some springs made to whatever specs you want (some research would be required). Then you can go buy any stock length shocks you want (Bilstein for example has some).

My .02 cents.

Jason

slowNstdy

Nov 28, 2005
Mckinney, Tx
i agree with jasonmk12 my brother installed the ome kit. looks good, find your minerals and gain some altitude. the kit my brother installed was a little over an inch installed.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
what was the upgraded spring and shock set up on the range rover? The stock classic springs are much softer than the disco springs, so its not a fair comparison.

...but if you are if you are to be a whiny cunt about a slightly stiffer ride it then should stick with stock springs and woodhead shocks.

Britpart is a mass marketer of junky land rover parts, you dont want that shit... or do you?

crjcapt

Aug 7, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
x whatever its up to now on the OME. I put the meduim duties on my D2. It really wasn't that much taller than stock. but the ride was vastly imporved. Not much stiffer and the handelling was a huge improvement over the worn out stock springs that were on it.