headliner just starting to Fail

RickM

Jan 2, 2010
My wife's 04 is just starting to give some indication that the headliner is starting to fall down a little bit. I realize replacing it is probably the way to go but, anyone have any ideas on how to possibly repair or halt the failure of the existing one? Thanks.

Brett E. Snyder

Feb 26, 2006
Satellite Beach, Florida
Just get some plastic body panel fasteners in an acceptable color and push into the overhead as needed to secure fabric. Done asymetrically it almost loooks factory and you'll spend no more than 15 minutes on it. I used a dozen or so with a pan head in black and it doesn't hurt to use a punch to start the hole.

jacg123

Jul 18, 2006
Ada, Oklahoma
They sell at Walmart something like thumbtacks that have screws pins and you can anchor the fabric into the panel in the roof.. I've had to do that with my 03... They were around $3.00 for 12 pins...

jeffro0502

Aug 22, 2006
Navarre FL
Just let it fall it will act as a blanket and keep you head warm.

Seriously....either pull it down or replace it. DIY is not that bad.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Just let it fall down further and you can sleep in it. After all it would be better than ratchet strapping a hammock to the roof.

RickM

Jan 2, 2010
I appreciate all the ideas about the headliners including the idea of sleeping in it but I think replacement sounds like a fine idea. Any hints on where you can find a fabric close enough to the current headliner material? Is that something a local fabric shop will have or am I going to need to go to AB or something like that.

Thanks.

GDA

Jan 13, 2007
Dallas, Tx
My 03 started to peel back right where the roof starts to stairstep to the upper deck this past spring. I called around and got over a half dozen quotes ranging from $800 at LR Dealer to several quotes between $350 and $225 on the low end at a interior shops.

I went with one at $250 and had to leave the truck with him for a day and overnight. I got a 2 year warranty on the work and new factory headliner material was used.

Cozy41EF

Apr 24, 2005
Aiken, SC
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/headliner-kit-for-land-rover-discovery-and-range-rovers-p-95.html

Was the supplier offered in another thread here. I bought mine from them in Beige, is lighter color than the original by a shade, but it very closely matches the color of the a, b, and c pillar posts now. The cloth is wider than what is available in most places.

Buy two cans of their own brand of glue, and buy the brush from them. Took me about an hour with a friend to get it out, two hours to get the old glue off and clean up, an hour to install liner, then almost 2 hours to get it in and clean up again. Buy a box of latex gloves, wear gloves as you do it, so that when, not it you get glue on your fingers, you can change gloves and not get it all over the new liner. Buy a box or straight edge razor blades, not sure why my triming all of the materials around the holes will dull blades quick.

Lots of ideas here, leave it out, spray it with bedliner stuff, creative clothes.

If you post your location, I'm sure someone near you has done it, and for the right amount of.... beverages.... offered would be willing to help. You really need help to get the thing in and out, and remember where all the damn clips go.

Chuck

Jake

Apr 20, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
GDA said:
My 03 started to peel back right where the roof starts to stairstep to the upper deck this past spring. I called around and got over a half dozen quotes ranging from $800 at LR Dealer to several quotes between $350 and $225 on the low end at a interior shops.

I went with one at $250 and had to leave the truck with him for a day and overnight. I got a 2 year warranty on the work and new factory headliner material was used.

You could have driven west to Mineral Wells and got it for half that, with a warranty.

brianhoberg

Apr 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
www.brianhoberg.com
Jake said:
You could have driven west to Mineral Wells and got it for half that, with a warranty.
Damn I haven't heard of that city in a long time. I had an aunt that lived there for ~30 years. Only memory I have of being up there was the terrible smell and the locust that I kept trying to catch so they would chomp down on a stick. YEah they were huge.

n8thgr8

Dec 6, 2006
Colorado, Guam
brianhoberg said:
Where's the dude that did the exotic animal print for his headliner?

I've always said when my headliner goes, I'm going to replace it with a plaid :D

That's mine. With the Tommy Bahama print?
Still holding up well, with a little sagging where I didn't spray enough glue. I'll get around to fixing that one of these days...

Jake

Apr 20, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
brianhoberg said:
Damn I haven't heard of that city in a long time. I had an aunt that lived there for ~30 years. Only memory I have of being up there was the terrible smell and the locust that I kept trying to catch so they would chomp down on a stick. YEah they were huge.

yeah we lived near that place for about 3 years. out by the Brazos...nice BIG BUGS BIGGER SNAKES...and meth labs....thats why I live in OKC now...