Discovery II Alternator

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I've been searching around in an attempt to put together a picture of who makes what. The first thing on my agenda was determining the various part numbers of the factory unit in my Discovery Series II. Simple, I know, but necessary. Here are those part numbers:

Alternator, Bosch IR/IF, 130 amp, 12 volt, CW, 7 groove pulley:

Land Rover part number: ERR6413
Bosch part number: 0-123-510-073
Lester reference number: 13812

Some apparent specifications, based on what I've found:

Stator outside diameter: 142mm
Alternator SRE cover current rating: 115-150amps
Alternator SRE cover material: Plastic

My objective is to find some other damn vehicle that uses an alternator that will bolt in and work. Somewhere, in some dealership lot, there is a vehicle that uses an alternator that will fit. It may have a different part number, it may have a different output, and the casting for the case may look different, but somewhere, somehow, there is one that will fit. I refuse to believe that this is not the case.

If such an alternator is found, it will in all likelihood be associated with more options, alternatives, and aftermarket support. I believe that this potential direct replacement is erroneously and lazily not associated with the Discovery II platform.

Bosch was unable to help me, but they did try. Good bunch of guys, over there. They simply do not cross reference efficiently enough to find out what alternator uses which cast housing. They don't track them that way, unfortunately. I, however, intend to. I don't believe that they run these castings off for this vehicle alone.

I'm trying to trace the part numbers for the alternator's individual parts now. I did, however, find something else.

Bosch part number: AL0807N
Bosch part number: AL0807X

Both of these are listed at various sources as a direct replacement for the factory alternator I've listed. Both of them appear to match the specifications for the factory alternator. The N variant is described by Bosch as new, with new parts. The X variant is described by Bosch as re-manufactured.

The N variant, being apparently newly manufactured, sells for around 240 dollars on the web. That is MUCH cheaper than you can buy the Land Rover replacement for, and it may or may not be the exact same model.

If anyone has any information to add, or corrections, I'd be pleased to hear them. I want to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Kennith

helievacpilot

Mar 29, 2007
Denver CO
I replaced the alternator on my wife's D2 about a year ago. I got a Bosch remanufactured for around 140.00 I believe. I think the place was called Eagle Electric, or something very close to that, out of Texas. I've also taken alternators to be re-built locally if you have that resource.
- Bill

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I have verified with Bosch that the AL0807N, a new production alternator, is the exact same alternator as the Land Rover ERR6413, as well as the Bosch 0-123-510-073.

These are all the same alternator, and all new. This is according to Bosch themselves, verified with several of their employees with different phone calls. It may seem simple, but given the price difference, I prefer to be thorough.

I've ordered the cheaper model from Super-Will. Side by side, I'll make a comparison, as I have an ERR6413/0-123-510-073 on hand.

Bosch indicated that the longer number was applied as a fitting designation for the manufacturer, and that the factory alternator is, in fact, internally designated as AL0807N.

This may not seem important, but consider that in this case, cheaping out may not, in fact, be cheaping out. If it's the same damn thing, it's the same damn thing.

For those of you shaking your head at the futility of my obsession, consider that there are people out there who just don't know what to buy, or just don't know what is good to buy based on price. This information is now on Discoweb to be searched for by those with questions.

I'll update it when I learn more, or if I determine that there is something else out there that will work. Even if a direct match is not available. There may be something that will work with slight modification or with a simple adapter.

Cheers,

Kennith

kb3ejw

Oct 16, 2008
I had Wrangler NW build me an alt for my D2.it puts out 240@6k.
it took a little while to get it built right and installed.but i'm happy with it.
i did have to order the charge kit to go with it.larger cables and an inline fuse in the middle of red wire.
BlueSeaaux12curuitfusepanel010.jpg

BlueSeaaux12curuitfusepanel009.jpg

HPIM2114.jpg

Reactions: JUKE179r

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I have received the Bosch AL0807N.

I am now presenting an absolute. The Bosch AL0807N is the same as a Land Rover ERR6413, which is the same as a Bosch 0-123-510-073, which is the same as the alternator referenced by Lester as 13812.

These numbers all reference the same alternator. It is one hundred percent new, by any of these numbers, unless deliberately sold as a used part.

The Bosch AL0807X is a cheaper, reconditioned model. It is in every way the same, except it is not one hundred percent new.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Again, much of this may seem obvious to some. Parts for our vehicles, however, are commonly not cross-referenced as they are for other vehicles. Land Rovers fall through the cracks, and as such, it is not always obvious when a part for another vehicle is the same as a part for a Land Rover.

My research is not yet completed.

Cheers,

Kennith