XYZ Switch

skrach77

Nov 2, 2007
Oklahoma
Hey everyone,

I am having some issues with my truck not wanting to go into park fully, causing some starting issues. The red lights next to the shifter do not light up when in park unless I push the shifter forward pretty hard- and its getting worst.

How do I adjust the XYZ switch? And would I need to adjust the cable at the shift lever on the tranny? The rave doesn't seem to talk much about the XYZ switch so I am assuming it is technically called something else but I have never heard another name for it....?

Thanks for the help, truck's stuck in the driveway tonight...

-Skrach

Urban Panzer

Feb 1, 2008
uk
www.discovery2.co.uk
Make sure the lever is in "P", then climb under the truck and you'll see the switch / cable for the lever on the side of the autobox, simply undo the adjuster nut on the pushrod / cable "thingy", then make sure the switch is fully home (cannot remember if its fwd or aft (aft I think) moving it by hand, you can "click" it through the gears quite easily, then again check the auto gear lever is still in P, re tighten the adjuster nut and see how it is then.......should take no more than 5 mins to check / adjust.

ashtrans

Dec 15, 2006
Hi this is quite common, usually caused by the shifter cable flexing away from the auto box as you push intp park. DO NOT ADJUST the xyz without a setting tool. Before doing anything get someone to shift (engine OFF) into park whilsy you or your nominated mechanic watches the cable ,if it does flex out, as I suspect, then add a clip to the end of the cable outer. There are two M6 holes in the autobox you can use, this clip was fitted to early V8 autos as the heat from the exhaust made the cable outer more flexible. Hope this helps. Regards Ian Ashcroft

skrach77

Nov 2, 2007
Oklahoma
So that is one vote for adjust it, and another vote to not touch it...

I am fairly mechanical and not affraid to tear into this, but if I do not have the right tools then "thats that".

Urban Panzer-> what clips are you refering too? Are they on the cable already?

Disco Mike-> where you at? What advice can you give me?

Anyone else who has done this before have any input?

-skrach

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
X2 about not adjusting it without the tool unless you are able to very very very carefully adjust it.... I had to do this once in the parking lot of a wal mart on a road trip. the switch came out of adjustment and wouldnt read prnd in the right place.

it is also wise to check the cable to make sure it hasnt slipped.

ashtrans

Dec 15, 2006
Hi the xyz switch only tells the ecu where the lever is positioned. Please let us know the outcome. Regards Ian Ashcroft

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
ashtrans said:
Hi the xyz switch only tells the ecu where the lever is positioned. Please let us know the outcome. Regards Ian Ashcroft

If it is not in the right place, it wont allow the trans to shift right and will end up in "limp" mode and do all kinds of goofed up stuff.:ack:

skrach77

Nov 2, 2007
Oklahoma
Well it only acts up in Park- starting the truck usually means having to push the selector forward with some force, or easier and more commonly just putting it in nuetral and then starting. P is the problem, RND21 all work fine so far. Does this even sound like the XYZ???

The brake switch is only about 2 years old, and I'm not getting any other symtoms related to that.

Also- since its my daily driver still, she doesn't get wheel'd much at all, and this problem has been slowly growing over the last few months, so it would make sense that something has just slowly slipped out of alignment...

Thoughts?

skrach

skrach77

Nov 2, 2007
Oklahoma
bump

still looking for some direction with this. I can drive it, but its a pain and since I drive this truck all over the state for work, I'm scared I'll get stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere so would like to take care of this soon.

thanks,

skach77