For Geezers

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
What was your favorite thing from the 60's-70's?

My one thing I cherish is a card from the second time Nixon ran for President.

A card that says "Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw....vote for Nixon in '72":eek:

I have a bunch of Nixon memorabilia we found when cleaning out the old house.

My favorite was the "Feel safer with Nixon" sticker that used to be on my pedal-tractor.

Now that I think about it, the 60s and 70s were formative years with a lot of activity. As my dad had been in the Army from '43 to '60, the war in Vietnam was a big topic. I wish I had some of my trinkets from the space race and the run to the moon as well. I had the whole pile of those toys too.

2FUELS

You can imagine a young boys confusion when the TV said we were fighting the Viet KONG guerrillas. I though they were big, well armed monkeys akin to the more famous KING kong. Scary stuff!

D

Dan Ratcliffe

that hit of window pane and the 18 hour chess game when the pieces moved themselves. :D

2FUELS

The Best was the hit TV show "UFO" with Peter Graves. Love me some moon based interceptors!

singingcamel

Watching the news reels about Vietnam, the protests ,a scared high schooler knowing that I will be part of this scenario in time to come.
All in all I 'm glad I was part of this, what a time ! Eveyone had a cause ,good bad or indifferent ,we were all involved in some way.:victory:

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
I used to spend hours listening to shortwave radio on a Hallicrafters SX-99 and sending out request for QSL cards. On of the best catches was the local broadcast of Mozambique, while in St. Louis. Many of the countries and stations no longer exist.

After sending off a QSL request I remember receiving my very own little red book titled, "Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung, from Peking. Still have it, along with all the QSL cards. The nicest one was from Portugal.

Then the parties began, water skiing the Meramec river, parties at houses on stilts, joined the Army, off to crypto school in Ft. Monmouth, NJ and eventually M?nchen for several years. Great location for touring Europe. By the late 70s' I was in Colorado driving the passes in a chrome bumper TR6.

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
years ago I was given invitations to the inauguration of Kennedy, with seating up on the dais. Not sure what they are worth. I think I have one for Nixon as well.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
Dark Shadows used to scare the shit out of me. I saw it years later and realized how hokie it was.

Green Hornet was cool

The sixth sense

I remember picking up my cousin at the airport. He was in a wheelchair, had a colostomy bag and was recovering from a bouncing betty wound thanks to "Charlie". The dude has two bronze stars, one silver star, three purple hearts, pulled three tours before they told him enough. The guy has never complained, was a volunteer and is now the commander of our VFW unit.:patriot:

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
The best thing I remember about the 70's was Star Wars and Evel Knievel.

Everything else was just being scared shitless of the Russians and the Cold War. I used to constantly watch the skies waiting to be swallowed up by mushroom clouds. I still have a fear of Barbara Mandrell and lycra.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I saw Evel Knievel jump at the Cow Palace in SF one time. Was cool, some bikers started shit the motorcycle racers beat the crap out of them. Probably was staged, but when you're a kid it was cool.

singingcamel

Oh, Bomb Shelters and air raid sirens, our neighbor had a bomb shelter.Irelly felt my parents never thought much of us because we never had one , but I was ressurred there was one close buy.If I could only sneak in during all the ruckus, thought about that alot and how I would do it.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
LOL we used to have these retarded bomb drills where we'd have to get under our desk and cover up....like it would have done any good in a atomic bomb attack.