where is my coolant coming from?

tim e

Mar 1, 2006
Portland, OR
Hello,
I have an 2001 DII with 63,000 (yes 63,000) miles that is leaking coolant from the back of the engine. This may be due to parking on a street uphill for two years. Is there a way to determine where the coolant is actually coming from (head or intake)? It looks rather hard to see, but I am hoping someone knows of a good confirmation spot. I just do not want to start the job thinking it is the lower intake and not have the stuff for a head gasket, and I want to avoid the head gasket head ache if possible. Thanks!

enjoi1968

Aug 27, 2008
MD
tim e said:
Hello,
I have an 2001 DII with 63,000 (yes 63,000) miles that is leaking coolant from the back of the engine. This may be due to parking on a street uphill for two years. Is there a way to determine where the coolant is actually coming from (head or intake)? It looks rather hard to see, but I am hoping someone knows of a good confirmation spot. I just do not want to start the job thinking it is the lower intake and not have the stuff for a head gasket, and I want to avoid the head gasket head ache if possible. Thanks!

light source, shop rags, and engine degreaser.

clean around where the leak is, and then start tracing to the source.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
My bet is the valley gasket. My DII leaked there. Not a difficult problem to fix.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
just had my D2 in the shop and they found coolant leak in lines at the throttle body

and leaking valve covers gaskets, oh joy