Flowmaster Exhaust

rdoane

Oct 5, 2004
Houston, TX
Looking at getting a Super 40 and removing the resonator, is anybody running this setup? From the super 40's ive heard they have that low end rumble that sound so mean w/o that high rpm howl :cool: . Also, if your not running a super 40, then what are you running/have ran. has anybody removed the resonator in conjuction w/ a new exhaust? how much louder was it? any input would be greatly appreciated. :D

S

syoung

I've heard several Discos and Rangies with the main muffler in place but the resonator on the tailpipe removed and they sound great. They didn't seem too loud at all, but the drone might get old on a long trip.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
too damn loud. i put a flowmaster 40 on my truck with 3" pipe and no resonator, and the interior just rumbles. pretty cool to listen to outside, not all that cool riding around inside with it. around 2k rpm, that rumble is mind numbing. below and above that band, not too bad though.

MtclimberVT

Feb 27, 2005
Northern Virginia
Running NRP Exhaust just installed a week ago and notice better acceleration at higher RPM"S, easy to install using existing mounting points, lighter than stock, downside expensive ($650 Rovers North) no noticable changes in mpg so far.

Timmy!!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2004
Bourbon Street
www.facebook.com
flowmaster 40 series and a 3 inch tip it sounds great.
towingtim.jpg

I did have a glasspack and it was louder but the flowmaster has a better note. The looks I get going down the road are great. :D Although all of your buddys in High school won't notice the muffler because of there trucks with big v-8s and dual exhaust.

Alabama is better.

S

syoung

that big fartpipe is just achin to get slammed flat against the bumper

D

Disco-Kings

Joey said:
I have headers, a flowmaster 40 and no resinator, with a cold air intake... and I love it, but then again I do live in West Virginia :)

What headers ar you using? I'm looking at the Headmans #39800 for $277CDN or the coated ones #39806 for $380CDN... I've heard you use the stock manifold gasket with a thinker collector gasket??

I've heard the 40's are loud, which wouldn't bother me i'd just crank up the JBL..A buddy is running the NRP exhaust no resonator and she sounds pretty beefy... If ya still have the rear resonator cut it off and see how you like that...

Cheers

MTN_rover

Feb 17, 2005
kingsport, TN
running flowmaster 50series with 2.5" pipe no resonator basically sounds like a stock 4.6 mustang at least thats what people say, but it just enough tone for me. If you live in kingsport ,TN tony's pipe and muffler did mine and did a good job.

M

mudderducker

$50 for glasspacks installed from any muffler shop. the sound is similar to a freeflowing muffler like flowmaster, maybe a little louder. the performance 'gains' are similar. it will not make the rover sound or act like a hotrod, but you already knew that.

you might as well cut the resonator off before it gets torn off.

asurover

Jul 19, 2004
jonesville, nc
i don't think the 40 series is loud enough, i got mine and couldn't even really tell a difference until i removed to resonator. now it sounds real deep and mean but isn't that loud

C

Cherub Rock

cut it off at the cat and run it out the back.

vrooooom.

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
I can't speak for a flowmaster on a Rover, but I had one on my Cherokee that was pretty sweet. Made the Jeep straight 6 sound like a v8, but like Robbie said, at a certain rpm (unfortunately at residential street cruising speed) the sound was terrible, above and below just fine in the cabin. At the moment I'm running a flowmaster on my bmw and I can't stand it. Its another 6 cylinder engine, but this time the flowmaster just made it sound like a riced up 4 cylinder, its annoyingly loud at all rpms.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Disco-Kings said:
What headers ar you using? I'm looking at the Headmans #39800 for $277CDN or the coated ones #39806 for $380CDN... I've heard you use the stock manifold gasket with a thinker collector gasket??
Cheers

Same headers I am using, except I ordered them from www.jet-hott.com they are ceramic coated inside and out. I like them alot.... if you have a '96 or newer disco, you have to modify the headers to fit around the knock sensors and the steering shaft.

If you need any info, just let me know.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
cmoore207 said:
I can't speak for a flowmaster on a Rover, but I had one on my Cherokee that was pretty sweet. Made the Jeep straight 6 sound like a v8, but like Robbie said, at a certain rpm (unfortunately at residential street cruising speed) the sound was terrible, above and below just fine in the cabin. At the moment I'm running a flowmaster on my bmw and I can't stand it. Its another 6 cylinder engine, but this time the flowmaster just made it sound like a riced up 4 cylinder, its annoyingly loud at all rpms.
Chris, try the Ansa Sport catback for your e30. I,ve had them on my 86 325es when it had the 2.7 in it. Then put a 2.5 in it with the Ansa. Believe it or not, with that engine in it and a 3.43 rear end from a 5 series it was faster then a stock e30 M3! That car screamed!
Unfortunately BMW's burn well too.
I then got an e36 325, 92 before vanos motor and used the Ansa again and loved it. I know all the little rich boys on the intardweb didn't like em, but thats because they equate money with performance.
The non-vanos motors were actually beefier then the vanos motors. Bigger valves, dual valve springs, more agressive cams ect.

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
I am planning on selling the e30 in a couple months, but it could really use some of those 3.43. gears. Having a 6-banger eta engine hooked into the old gears from the 4-cyl 318 motor is a little rough. I presume they are 4.1's, but that car does not seem to like going over 70. Of course, its hard to tell what the motor is actually doing since the tach is busted, but that flowmaster makes it sound like its pegging the redline all the time!

RVRSRVC

May 7, 2004
Elizabethtown, PA
www.roverlab.com
4.6 with an RPi cam, 4.10 gearing 34" swampers, snorkel, NRP cats, 40 series, custom bent tubing in 2.5".
200 mile daily commute-loud, and you notice the silence when you stop! I may remake it with a 50 if nothing else wears out or breaks in the next three months!