BFG discontinuing certain sizes for KM2

Lucasd2002

Jan 7, 2006
Atlanta-ish
I just called discount tire direct and they told me that BFG informed them that 255/85-16 KM2 have been discontinued. Tire rack lists them as special order (haven't called them).

Even if tirerack could get me a set of 5, if they have really stopped production forever, I wouldn't want to buy them knowing that I could never replace a single tire if one were destroyed.

I thought the KM2 just came out in this size? How long was it available?

Is it a lost cause looking for tires in this size?

I think 285 is too wide and 235 is too small. I also wanted taller than 265/75. :banghead:

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
I dunno, the 235/85 was one of the more popular sizes on the recent tire poll. I bought the "old" style BFG MT's as opposed to the KM2's 'cause those weren't available in any of the sizes I was considering last August. Now they are already discontinuing some sizes? Weird....

While BFG may make a good tire, their marketing department is suspect. Loved the old Trac Edges, but they vanished...completely. Have no idea why, and a BFG rep couldn't explain it.

D

D Chapman

235/85 and 265/75 have the same height, only the width is different. But the 255/85 is a bit taller (33"). But honestly, the 255/85 is not a common size tire and it a bit of an odd ball. If I were you, I'd stick with the 265/75...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've got the "old style" BFG muds in 265/75's....again, discontinued. But there are enough still floating around out there where I can get a spare when ever I need it (for a while longer, anyway).

As for BFG's marketing, it's handled through the Martin Agency in Richmond, VA. They also manage the marketing for Budweiser, UPS, Alltel, Geico, Wal-Mart..............and a bunch more.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
the 255 85 16 KM has been discontinued the KM2 is the new tire.

I just installed some KM's on my truck and my buddy at discount tire told me that the KM has been discontinued and that the KM2 is not the same size tire.

I think they musta had it confused the KM2 can be had in all the magazines in the 255 85 size as well.

I found it kinda weird they would discontinue anything in that size, the 255 85 16 has become a very popular upgrade size in the jeep world just in the last few years. kinda like the 33x9.5x15 was before it.

Lucasd2002

Jan 7, 2006
Atlanta-ish
I hope the guy was mistaken but he said specifically KM2. It almost seems like 16" tires are starting to become a thing of the past...

Aug 20, 2007
Nashville TN
i have 255/85 KMs...love the size to death, but wouldn't be surprised if my only options for more are to buy used. there should be enough flaoting around, like dan said though...

Lucasd2002

Jan 7, 2006
Atlanta-ish
The same guy from discount tire direct told after the initial conversation that the KM2 is discontinued for 265/75 and 285/75 (in addition to 255/85).

I called tirerack and a salesman there said that the 255/85, 265/75, and 285/75 are all available.

Maybe the guy from DTD was high.

A

Austin3D

I just bought a set of 5 BFG KM2s in 265/75 from Discount Tires at a great deal last week and I didn't hear anything about them being discontinued. Though he did say he had trouble getting them. He said that they were on back order nation wide. He ended up finding 12 or so in a warehouse in New Mexico apparently and had them shipped here to Tennessee.

Hopefully that guy was just wrong. I'm defiantly loving the tires so far :D

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
D Chapman said:
But the 255/85 is a bit taller (33"). But honestly, the 255/85 is not a common size tire and it a bit of an odd ball.

I think they must be marketed to the Dually guys. I had 3 choices when I bought mine. BFG MT, Truxxus MT, and Bighorns. The Bighorns were the only ones I could find locally.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Years ago Discount Tire lied to me outright. Doesn't suprise me they would say something like this if it isn't exactly true. In other words, they don't have them in stock but don't want you going to someone else.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
just look at it this way...the multi station molding dies for these are HUGE capitol investments...why would BFG cancel a brand new tire before it really gets out to market in three very important sizes?

clarkwjackson

Oct 22, 2007
UT
i'll call their direct special order line when i go in this afternoon. This time of year they have a lot of tires not in production that include odd sizes and tires that don't sell as well in the winter. last week we ordered in and installed the 285/75/16 km2.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Loved the old Trac Edges, but they vanished

yep, agreed apg.

have had them on Blueboy now for 8 years and due to age more than wear, really need to consider replacing them.

we just travel with too much stuff meaning weight and the rack is always full so I don't really want to have the sidewall rupture at the highway speeds we go.

have no clue what I'm going to get.

Jaime

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
I found out for you guys. Straight from BFG:

The Mud Terrain T/A KM2 has been discontinued in an LT255/85R16. We do
apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Sherry Cooper

BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Care Department

Kind of sucks for people who want or run that size..