freeze plug block heater failure

Lucasd2002

Jan 7, 2006
Atlanta-ish
Who has had one of them fail? I have been using mine all winter. I usually plug the truck into a timer every night that warms it up for me before I go to work in the morning. This afternoon I had been using the same extension cord to run a grinder.

No big deal, I thought. I'll plug it into the truck and then go over and plug the plug from the wall and put it back into the timer. About 2-3 seconds after I plugged the heater in, I head a pop. I froze. Another few seconds later a second pop and then "drip, drip... drip."

I now had a coolant leak coming from the block heater.

ugh. :banghead:

Last edited:

sven

I did. Whole family packed in the D1 driving 300 miles. Block heater spewed out on I-80. Truck overheated within seconds. Luckily I coasted off an exit to a gas station. This was the first time I ever broke down. USAA towed my sorry ass home about 150 miles, free of charge.

Mine was a napa block heater, what brand is yours?

Lucasd2002

Jan 7, 2006
Atlanta-ish
sven said:
I did. Whole family packed in the D1 driving 300 miles. Block heater spewed out on I-80. Truck overheated within seconds. Luckily I coasted off an exit to a gas station. This was the first time I ever broke down. USAA towed my sorry ass home about 150 miles, free of charge.

Mine was a napa block heater, what brand is yours?

Napa also.

I should have seen it coming. I actually forgot this was my second block heater. The first one leaked as soon as the coolant was filled up.

If I do another heater, it will be a magnetic one.

I limped to work today, blasting the heat and staring the Scanguage 2 temp reading the whole way. I will deal with it this afternoon.

Sven- any permanent damage?

sven

Yeah this was about 2 years ago and no damage. It just sucked as I had no tools and there was nothing I could do to fix this.

I replaced the Napa with a genuine one and no leaks. Seemed to actually fit the hole better too.

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
sven said:
Yeah this was about 2 years ago and no damage. It just sucked as I had no tools and there was nothing I could do to fix this.

I replaced the Napa with a genuine one and no leaks. Seemed to actually fit the hole better too.

Come on Sven we both know the Ganuwine Rover Block heater is a Zerostart. LOL

sven

peter sherman said:
Come on Sven we both know the Ganuwine Rover Block heater is a Zerostart. LOL

I thought they were the same until I saw them side by side. I forget which was which brand but they were different makes. I didnt want to risk it again so I pony'd up for the genu-wine shit.

EDIT: Ok now I remember, genuine was zerostart philips-temro. Napa was Pyroil, made in canada.

Last edited: