99 D90

Discoinjapan

Feb 14, 2006
Yokosuka Japan via PA
OK Gentlemen.
Here's the scoop; I have found a White 99 D90, RHD, 70k KL, its a 4.0, 50th year anniversary badge # 410. NO Rust at all! I can get it for $16k. VIN SALLDVBM7WA159418.

Can this be imported LEGALLY?

Marty(drillbit), I see you are in the process or already have imported a 99; what did you need to do?

Thanks guys,

Mike

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
I know of no *legal* way. A '93 D110, or '94, '95, or '97 D90, can come in via a Registered Importer and be legal, but other years are not allowed via the RI route.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Yeah, there is no real legal way to import a 99, your best bet is to import it into a state that doesn't care what you title, find an insurance company that'll insure it and then hope the epa/dot doesn't catch you.

And the NAS years (93-97), while some of them are eligible to be imported by a RI, they still need to be modified to meet US spec.

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
Discoinjapan said:
Marty(drillbit), I see you are in the process or already have imported a 99; what did you need to do?

He bought it in Indiana so he didn't have to import it. I'm not sure if he's had problems registering it or anything though. But since It's in the US I'm assuming the vin doesn't go to a '99 TD5 D90...

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
register it as an off road only/farm vehicle. thats the only way.

why even waste the effort trying to import one that is a gas? a diesel would be much more worth the effort.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
While the paperwork is easy to register it as a farm vehicle, they are cracking down (at least in VA) on driving the vehicle more than the allowed distances from the farm. It's not like you can drive it to PA, MD from VA without getting pulled over.

If you have a dealers license you can import it (if customs will allow/even as a dealer vehicle it's questionable) and and keep it tagged as a dealer vehicle. Since it is a considered dealer inventory it never would have to be registered as long as it stays in the dealerships name. Varies state to state how long you can keep it this way though.

There are several ways it can be imported legally. None of them are particularly easy.

This truck can be imported by posting a bond. Once in the US, it can stay for 36 months. But, it cannot be registered here and must retain registration in its home country. After the 36 months are up, the vehicle must be exported, or the bond forfeited (and the vehicle, if it can be found).

It can also be imported for 12 months by a non-US citizen. No bond, but the rest applies.

I might have the times backwards, but that's pretty close.

Lastly, if you have LOTS of $, it can conceivably be "Federalized" and made legal.

JohnK

Sep 28, 2004
Maryland
Discoinjapan said:
OK Gentlemen.
Here's the scoop; I have found a White 99 D90, RHD, 70k KL, its a 4.0, 50th year anniversary badge # 410.
I thought 1998 was the 50th Anniversary.

D90DC

Nov 4, 2004
New Hampshire
Import as a parts car, buy a wercked NAS 94 through 97 and claim it was repaired and or upgraded with parts from your newer 99.... I would convert it to a LHD using the donor D90 and swap the vinplate..... Its not easy but it has been done many times... Most of the time its a 90 to 100 conversion, that works out better $$$ over a 90 swap

Also a nice residual all your left over parts can be eBay'ed to recoup some of the costs.....

Last edited:

D90DC

Nov 4, 2004
New Hampshire
If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a MOD D90 out of Canada and rebuilt... Ive sunk so much money in mine it would have been far less expensive and IMO more fun to start with a 110 2 door beater and build it up than starting with a pristine 97 NAS.

Discoinjapan

Feb 14, 2006
Yokosuka Japan via PA
D90DC said:
If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a MOD D90 out of Canada and rebuilt... Ive sunk so much money in mine it would have been far less expensive and IMO more fun to start with a 110 2 door beater and build it up than starting with a pristine 97 NAS.

Yea, I've been running through a lot of options, But this one is a beautiful virgin;)

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
You're bringing this from Japan right? Just FYI I heard that customs has recently started to seize the '97 trucks (same as NAS) coming in from Japan. I don't know if it's true but I think you should check on D90 source before you do it (I read it over there I think).

If I remember correctly there were people who recently tried to import them but customs wouldn't do it and would hold them until the importer sold them outside the country, so the importers had really cheap prices since they were for export. If I'm remembering the right thing that is, I haven't been on D90 source recently so I may be talking about the wrong thing..

Edit:
Might want to read this:
http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17391&referrerid=963

Last edited:

Discoinjapan

Feb 14, 2006
Yokosuka Japan via PA
Thanks for the info. I'll check that out later.
From everything I have now; it looks like its good for import. I'm still waiting on a couple of replies.

WillTN said:
You're bringing this from Japan right? Just FYI I heard that customs has recently started to seize the '97 trucks (same as NAS) coming in from Japan. I don't know if it's true but I think you should check on D90 source before you do it (I read it over there I think).

If I remember correctly there were people who recently tried to import them but customs wouldn't do it and would hold them until the importer sold them outside the country, so the importers had really cheap prices since they were for export. If I'm remembering the right thing that is, I haven't been on D90 source recently so I may be talking about the wrong thing..

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
ECR is currently working on a 1997 D90.

go here http://www.eastcoastrover.com/224.html

also on the site there is this:

"According to DOT regulations it would be 100% legal to import one of these 1997 Japanese Spec. Defender 90s through a Registered Importer, as long as the VIN on the vehicle you plan to import fall in the ones allowed by the DOT. The reason for this is that the Japanese Spec. 90 (and the Saudi Spec. 90) was built so close in specifications to the USA Spec 90 that they can be imported (not by you, but by a Registred Importer)."

it can be done - good luck.

Jaime