Can't get fuel in gas tank!?

A

Athens Disco

It's been a while since I've been on this board. Good to be back. I have a 98 D1 and have been all in all happy with it. This week the damn thing has refused fuel at the pump. I get about $6 in it and then it gurgles up and spills all over the station floor. After that I patiently squirt .50 at a time to get at least $10.

There doesn't seem to be any undue pressure when I unsrew the cap. The truck seems to run ok. At times lately, I feel I don't have full power. Obviously there is some sort of block. Anyone experience similar issues. It would be nice to run with a full tank!

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
You truck is on a diet.

Check the hose that allows the fumes to escape from the tank that go back to the filler opening, it could be blocked and the gases are causing the fuel to buble back up the filler hose.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
Is this ocurring at the same pump? I ve ran into the same problem with a rental car i had in Cali. Took 20 min to pump it in 50 cent increments at like two pumps, others worked fine.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
It sometimes happens with my D2... I usually just take the nozzle out and put it back in, sometimes turning it a bit.. occasionally ive had to turn it completly upside down for it to accept it.. it happens randomly..

enjoi1968

Aug 27, 2008
MD
trickle valve problem.. I have the same problem.. Sunoco gas stations are the only places I can fill up. That or a few 5 gallon blitz cans and a keen ear.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I have had the same issue with my D1.

I filled it up twice before with "issues" and my wife did as well.

On my trip up to Maine the other weekend it did it at a gas station in Va, but no where else.

I think it is gas station specific.

Have you tried filling it at another gas station?

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
enjoi1968 said:
trickle valve problem.. I have the same problem.. Sunoco gas stations are the only places I can fill up. That or a few 5 gallon blitz cans and a keen ear.
I can't even use fuel cans on my D1 any more, it will take maybe 1/2 gallon, then gurgle and puke up like a geyser! I lose maybe a cup of fuel eack time that happens. Still haven't looked to see where the damn trickle valve is.

JFD

Jun 20, 2008
Dominican Republic
Had the same issue and fixed it like that:

Disconnect the 6 or 8" long hose beetween filler
neck and gas tank, take it out completely, you
will see a smaller diameter hose inside the main hose.
That small diameter hose can get disconnected to a
goose neck form pipe that goes inside the tank and
it's a s simple as that. Just hook it again properly, there
is no clamp, i guess you can put a small stainless tie
(i didn't) and connect the big hose again, put your
hose clamp again and you're done. 30 mn job.
:victory:

Timmy!!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2004
Bourbon Street
www.facebook.com
I am starting to think it may have something to do with the AEL because I have never had a problem like this with any of my other discoveries. Oh and when I was filling up with my 5 gallon cans today I did notice it filled up faster if I lifted up the corner of the gas tank.

Last edited:

RonL

Apr 18, 2006
Hesston KS
www.flickr.com
I had the same issues with my wife's D1. but the small hose(vent line) was hooked up up like JFD's. here is what works for me and what I found. The small hose slides over a steel tube in tank. The was too loose and let liquid gas fill it and stop tank for vent. I placed a oring around the steel tube so the flexable smaller hose pushes/seals against it. This solved all my tank filling problem.

Disconnect the 6 or 8" long hose between filler
neck and gas tank, take it out completely, you
will see a smaller diameter hose inside the main hose.
Slide oring over steel tube and re-assemble
Just hook it again properly, there
is no clamp, i guess you can put a small stainless tie
(i didn't) and connect the big hose again, put your
hose clamp again and you're done.

Timmy!!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2004
Bourbon Street
www.facebook.com
Holy Thread Revivial!

I actually figured out the trick for my truck is when filling up if it only fills up partially to let it stop. Then go drive around for a day or two and then the tank will fill all the way back up. I actually haven't had the problem though it a long long time. I think it is from me filling the gas tank up all the way all of the time instead of the previous owners who would only put 20.00 or so at a time.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, old thread. Surprised no one mentioned putting a couple teaspoons of fuel injector cleaner in the two small vent holes at the filler opening. I started doing that about every 6 months quite a few years ago and have never had the issue again. I think filling the tank to full causes the vent mechanism to gum up and not work. The injector cleaner keeps it happy by dissolving the gunk.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Tom, I might try that.

Although my leaks so much during a fill-up that I think that one or more hoses is cracked due to age.