Any experience with "BioBricks, Envi-Blocks or SmartLogs? Getting cold here.

Roving Beetle

So it's cold here in Maine and we bought 2 cords of "dry" firewood this fall....... well :rolleyes: bastard said it was dry - it seemed OK on stacking it but it's pretty wet. :mad:

Anyway - nobody has any dry wood around us. Has anyone ever used any of the compressed wood "logs" such as the ones I listed in the title bar there?

We bought a package of "SmartLogs" from the local small lumber yard and they are actually pretty nice but seem to burn too fast. Nice and hot though. In looking on the web it seems they are the lowest rated compared to the others such as the "BioBricks" and Envi-Blocks"

Any input?

Thanks all - off to bed. :patriot:

Doug

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I don't use fake logs, but for future reference, when you're looking at wood, you should see significant checking on the ends of the pieces to indicate they are seasoned.
Look on the bright side though, you'll have a good supply for next winter. ;)

bovw

Apr 1, 2006
Orange, VA
antichrist said:
Look on the bright side though, you'll have a good supply for next winter. ;)
SOP when I was a kid, we cut 12 months ahead of what we were using. We used wood only, Dad didn't want to pay the electric bill for baseboards.

Roving Beetle

Thanks - I know all the tricks and to be honest I wasn't that worried about it at the time. I was busy and the wood at least looked nice and clean so I didn't bother with much testing. The price was such that we got a decent deal even if it's wet. So next year we'll be good to go. :)

I *thought* we had a supply of TRUELY dry wood that a friend had stored in his garage - he ended up having to move and forgot to tell me to come pick up the wood so the landlord now owns it. In his defense it was a messy divorce thing and I can see why he forgot about it.

It's not a big deal really as our house only used $300 worth of propane and 3/4 cord of wood from september to april last year. And that includes the hot water and cook stove. Yes we have a VERY efficient house. :D

Roving Beetle said:
It's not a big deal really as our house only used $300 worth of propane and 3/4 cord of wood from september to april last year. And that includes the hot water and cook stove. Yes we have a VERY efficient house. :D

OMG! Our budget plan bill is $251/month and we only use gas during the winter.

When planning for heat for the shop, I got two hanging propane furnaces. Just as I was preparing to hang one, I did some math and discovered that it is much cheaper for me to heat with diesel. Once I get a tank for untaxed diesel, I can have it delivered for a dime a gallon less than propane.

Curiously, one of the guys who gave me one of the propane furnaces is STILL trying to convince me it would be cheaper to heat with electricity-LOL.

Roving Beetle

1500 sq/ft 1.5 story (cape style) timber frame with 20 plus inch thick "Straw-Bale" walls. About an R-50 wall - passive solar all day long and insulated shades at night.

Radiant heat (96+% efficient condensing water heater operating a direct in floor tube system) set at 60-62 deg. or so. Use the fire to take the chill off.

It's 11 degrees outside right now and been snowing all day - was about 4 degrees last night and our heat has not kicked on once in over 24 hours. Burned about 8 16 inch split logs. :D