My new headliner...

n8thgr8

Dec 6, 2006
Colorado, Guam
It's not perfect, but the photos are far enough away to hide the ugly details.
Thought I'd show off my new years day project.
I had read, on one of my many searches about headliner replacement, that jo-ann fabric had headliner material, I searched online, and thought it might be kind of cool to do something completely different. SO I ordered this indoor outdoor fabric from Tommy-Bahama, and here we go!
If anybody out there is doing a search for headliner replacement, here are a few tips I learned along the way...
make sure your fabric is at least 60 inches wide (54 is not 60, and is not wide enough notice the tan "patches" on the very side up front?) Order 3 yards of it.
Get 3M high tack adhesive. It's awesome. 1 can will do it.
Regular headliner fabric stretches a bit. This stuff does not, you will have to really be careful not to get any wrinkles.
Pull all the necessary side panels off, try not to break the fixtures as you do it.
Take out the headliner, use a wire brush to scrub all the decayed foam and glue off of it.
put the new headliner on. Trim the holes.
Get your girlfriend to help hold it up while you plug everything back in, and viola, your done.
Then, take your girlfriend out to dinner to thank her for her help.
It's not that hard, and yes, you CAN do it yourself.

Attachments

• bahama 3.jpg
    bahama 3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 695
  • Bahama 2.jpg
    Bahama 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 534
  • Bahama1.jpg
    Bahama1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 742

superpowerdave

Apr 1, 2006
Idaho/Iraq
While I'm going to do something more traditional ... looks great.

What was the final cost on the whole smash? I may need to get this done before I deploy.

Last edited:

n8thgr8

Dec 6, 2006
Colorado, Guam
superpowerdave said:
While I'm going to do something more traditional ... looks great.

What was the final cost on the whole smash? I may need to get this done before I deploy.

I think I paid close to $100 or so for the fabric (shipping to Guam sucks) and the adhesive spray.

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
Did you put a foam backing on the fabric or just glue the fabric straight to the backer? Looks really good by the way.

Last edited:

BTALBERT

Jul 6, 2008
fayetteville
good job and damn sure original. shoud have used the extra fab to finish the sides while it was out. but i still like it

Last edited:

n8thgr8

Dec 6, 2006
Colorado, Guam
ArmyRover said:
Did you put a foam backing on the fabric or just glue the fabric straight to the backer? Looks really good by the way.
I thought about putting a foam backing on it, but I didn't. I was concerned about the weight of the fabric, and the adhesive. After it's all done, I could have put a foam backing on without too much problem.
Glad you guys like it. It was a lot of fun to do.

n8thgr8

Dec 6, 2006
Colorado, Guam
BTALBERT said:
good job and damn sure original. shoud have used the extra fab to finish the sides while it was out. but i still like it
When I got the fabric, I noticed it would not be wide enough, so I took some other headliner material, and stitched on about 6 inches on each side, so it was all put on as one piece. But you're right, if I had to do it over again, I would have used some extra of the brown. OR gotten more of it, and matched it together like wallpaper.