03 pump - is it the block ot the front cover that is bogus?

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
Can anyone confirm if it is the pump or the block that was out of alignment on 2003 discovery's. To be honest, the LR TSB suggests it's the block - but is this becuase if an engine was in the service centre because the pump 'failed' it'd likely have damaged many other parts like cam, rockers, mains, etc...

Here is the words on the TSB:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
Discovery Series II (LT) 3A771801 ? 3A808362
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]
Situation:
[/FONT]
Oil pump failures on 2003 Discovery Series II vehicles may be the result of a manufacturing error. Locating dowel pins may be slightly misaligned permitting assembly of the oil pump to the engine block, but placing stress on the pump housing which can ultimately lead to leakage or failure.
[FONT=Arial,BoldItalic]

Resolution:
[/FONT]
Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range the
[FONT=Arial,Bold]only effective repair [/FONT]currently available is [FONT=Arial,Bold]replacement of the complete engine [/FONT]assembly including the front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances.

Anyone know the real answer?

NVRover

Apr 20, 2004
Broken Arrow, OK
If I remember correctly the block is where the misalignment occured. The front covers and oil pumps did not change with the then new 4.6 block.

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
NVRover said:
If I remember correctly the block is where the misalignment occured. The front covers and oil pumps did not change with the then new 4.6 block.

I thought the block was the 'same' for the 4.6 as the 4.0 - or is this a 'theoretical same'?

The pump seemed to be one part number from '99 to '02 and another part number for '03 to '04... I don't know what was different between the two though, but it makes me think the 'newly introduced' pump might be the one that sucked?

Big Papa

Jan 3, 2007
McKinney, TX
Check your VIN# - Discovery Series II (LT) 3A771801 ? 3A808362[FONT=Arial,Bold]. I'm close to 95K, and my 2003 hasn't had this issue, not to say it won't, but my VIN# didn't fall between the ones that were effected.
[/FONT]

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
Well, reason I'm asking is that I had good oil pressure prior to pulling my engine down (yes, I'm in the VIN range) and had thought ahead and also purchased a replacement pump rotor.

On removing the side plate from the pump gerotor, I was greeted with an outer rotor in four nice pieces. It has clearly been broken for some time - but worked just fine (I will post my oil pressure readings shortly). I was not expecting to find this - just a scuffed up gerotor set.

So, I'm in a quandary - Is it JUST the pump assy, or is it the block that is mis-aligned. I'm going to get a DTI on the crank snout and check the run-out of the oil-seal bore, but I don't know if this'll tell me the answer as the oil-seal bore would have been machined from the front, not the back as per the gerotor pocket. Sadly there is no witness machinining or similar to pick up from on the rear face - which is the area that is dubious...

Our '03 has got 108K miles on it btw.

EDIT - see this post:
http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55265

Last edited: