Does 'loose liner' syndrome have to be accompanied by water loss?

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
I'm just curious that's all....

Our 'new to us' 2003 SE7 has what sounds initially like a bad lifter - and more recently, having read numerous horror stories / posts - a dropped or cracked liner.

I've checked the oil pressure - this is spot-on, so let's not go there eh?:patriot:

The noise is only there after 10 minutes or so, but it is definately here! It isn't an exhaust leak, and I've stethoscoped and am certain it is a lot more 'rattly' in the LH rocker box; towards the rear.

It uses absolutely no water - we've done 800 miles so far. It was serviced at a LR dealer up to 90K, after that I don't know - but It certainly 'looks' like the original engine and there is nothing to suggest it's even had the heads off or been overheated.

So, yes - we did get this cheap, and I initially thought (and still do) that the noise is valvetrain related; until I read posts on every board about cracked blocks/ loose liners. I've just put in an order to Turners in the UK for cam, tappets, chain/pulleys, seals/gaskets, etc - in the hope that I will find a bad lifter / lobe when i get into its heart between christmas and new year.

I just can't find a definitive answer of dropped/loose/cracked liners/block which makes the 'bad lifter' noise, when there is no water loss however. I'd have thought if thy were loose enough to make this kind of noise, there would be water loss?

Anyone able to confirm?

landrovered

Nov 28, 2006
In my experience with a slipped liner, the truck ran normally for fifteen to twenty minutes and then boiled out almost every drop of fluid from the cooling system. I would say that if you are not experiencing overheating problems and coolant loss, then you should look to another diagnosis.

stevo

May 4, 2004
make sure its not just a rattling catalytic convertor - they can make very ominous noises that mimic worse things.....

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
At our dealership we have done at least ten in the past six months that were slipping, but not leaking. In fact I haven't seen any that have been over heating because of a slipped liner, only because of cracked liners.

stevo

May 4, 2004
maybe a rocker assembly/pedestal is loose - might pull the valve cover and check the torque on the bolts....

Epsom_D2

Dec 27, 2004
Boca Raton & Gainesville, FL
Your description sounds exactly like what my 04 with 75,000mi has been in the shop since November 21 for. After a complete tear down it turns out that the cam bearings are worn allowing the camshaft to knock around after the engine warms up. Why the failure has occurred is not apparent, but Land Rover has recommended a short block replacement. LR says they have no procedure on the books for replacement of cam bearings despite the fact that a competent machine shop should be able to perform the work and check any other tolerances. As the machine shop will not warranty the work and the cost of a second tear down in the event that the engine continues knocking is prohibitive, a new short block is the direction I'm moving in.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if I can save you some of the hell I've been through it is worth it. Hopefully, your problem is simpler and less expensive to repair.

Best of luck,
S-P

robertofollia

Aug 3, 2005
My home is where my Disco is
Mine does exactly the SAME noise as yours. No noise in start-up when cold, no noise when hot after a highway round, only in city runs, but the noise is always there when warming-up. Oil is mobil1 fully synthetic 5w-50

singingcamel

landrovered said:
In my experience with a slipped liner, the truck ran normally for fifteen to twenty minutes and then boiled out almost every drop of fluid from the cooling system. I would say that if you are not experiencing overheating problems and coolant loss, then you should look to another diagnosis.
Sounds more like a cracked block or liner with this situation. I do not believe a slipped liner will cause a pressure issue.