G*$(#mn Centering Ball

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Any suggestions on how to get the centering ball out of the front drive shaft? Just go rent the slide hammer? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

BTW, the DPQ u-joints at Advance Auto have gone down in price - now $11.99 ea.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
SGaynor said:
Any suggestions on how to get the centering ball out of the front drive shaft? Just go rent the slide hammer? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

BTW, the DPQ u-joints at Advance Auto have gone down in price - now $11.99 ea.
I just turned the ball sideways and popped it out with an alignment tool. Some of them suck to get out, some don't.
If you get a slide hammer, buy it don't rent it. It's a handy tool to have.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Well, finally got it out. Bought a small prybar at Home Depot, hammered it in the ball (breaking part of the edge of it), and pried it out. The race was a PITA; had to nearly chisel it out.

FYI, the centering ball kit from Autozone is listed as a u-joint in their computer (even has a u-joint pic on the box), but use the part number and good to go. Centering ball was $29.99; PDQ ujoints were $11.99. - Thanks Antichrist for the PNs.

Rovercanus - This morning I decided I would just buy the slide hammer. I went to 5 different autoparts stores; couldn't find a smallish slide hammer. All were these massive things.:banghead:

Attachments

• prybar.jpg
    prybar.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Centering Ball.jpg
    Centering Ball.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 168