LT 230 vs LT 230

eliaschristeas

Jul 6, 2006
Beverly HIlls
did a search, couldnt really find this and I thought I'd post since other driveline/gearing noobs probably wanna know, too:

can someone compare an 87/88 rrc lt230 to a unit from a d2?

or if you know of such a link, paste it here? thanks - e

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The output flange for the front driveshaft is different, and some DII's do not have the "nipple" for center diff lock. I'm sure there are other differences, but those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Roving Beetle

Later have a thicker case and yes they did re-do the spline area and made for better oiling. The early ones used a shorter spline spud shaft so while you could put an older case on a D2 (or actually some later D1's but I forget the cutoff date) you can't put the newer case on the older transmission unless you swap out the spud shaft for the long spline version. The older spud shaft version is the same length overall but the splines only go up onto it about 3 inches vs. 4-5 inches on the later style so it will bottom out before it's in all the way. **Resists making crude comments about what he just wrote**

EDIT: And some of the early ones - again not sure what years etc - they had bearing issues, roller bearings vs. needle bearings or some thing like that ... there are a bunch of differences is the moral of the story. I have never seen a full out breakdown with pics or anything.