crankshaft harmonic balancer

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
I am going to be installing my long awaited 4.2L into the 1990 RRC soon, but I have hit a snag. I can't buy a crankshaft harmonic balancer for a 4.2L. Can I use the 3.9L one or will that cause problems down the road?

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
hard to say I just ran into a similar snag.

I was swapping a Vbelt engine into a serpentine truck

the serpentine crank shaft has a longer key way cut into it then the vbelt crank.

5min with a cut off wheel and I was back in business :D

lforgue8

Jul 23, 2006
MA
MUSKYMAN said:
hard to say I just ran into a similar snag.

I was swapping a Vbelt engine into a serpentine truck

the serpentine crank shaft has a longer key way cut into it then the vbelt crank.

5min with a cut off wheel and I was back in business :D

i dont see it being a problem with the 3.9 one.....im using the 3.5 vbelt with my 4.6! Really you wont notice a difference

The harmonic balancers should be interchangeable within engine groups, ie serpentine and non-serpentine. In Thom's case, a shorter woodruff key probably would have done the trick, but his method worked just as well, I'm sure.

FWIW-the harmonic balancers are available from RN, but I could think of much better ways to spend the several hundred dollars they want for one.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
ptschram said:
The harmonic balancers should be interchangeable within engine groups, ie serpentine and non-serpentine. In Thom's case, a shorter woodruff key probably would have done the trick, but his method worked just as well, I'm sure.

no sir

the shorter woodruf key and key way on the v belt crank would not have had any key way in the harmonic balencer of the serpentine style harmonic balencer/pulley.

so to get the key into the balencer I need to cut the keyway longer and use the longer key.

seems to work just fine.

yes I am old school:D

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
ptschram said:

FWIW-the harmonic balancers are available from RN, but I could think of much better ways to spend the several hundred dollars they want for one.
ALl of the balancers are available from RN except for the 4.2L. I have heard from other sources that using a 3.9 balancer on a 4.2L engine will result in a broken crankshaft. I know there are lots of people out there who have done 4.6 conversions and are most likely using their old 4.2 or 3.9 balancer with no issues, but this may be something thjat takes 10 - 15 K miles to surface.

Paul Grant

Sep 8, 2004
CT
I may have a 4.2 harmonic balancer. Let me check the shop tomorrow. I've taken apart several '93 LWB's this year.

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
a short bit of research has turned up that the same balancer is used for the RRC 3.9L from '87-'95. Could one safely assume that the 4.2L balancer would be the same for '93-'95? I realize the '95 engines are serpentine belt, and the earlier ones were V-belt, but all the pulleys just bolt to the damper.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
this suprises me?

the front covers are different as the 94-95 has the crank mounted oil pump and the v-belt engines have a distributor shaft driven pump.

I am looking forward to learning more about this

agbuckle98 said:
Could one safely assume that the 4.2L balancer would be the same for '93-'95? I realize the '95 engines are serpentine belt, and the earlier ones were V-belt, but all the pulleys just bolt to the damper.

No, the serpentine balancers for distributor engines are different from those for V-belts and those for distributor-less engines.

Thom:
I've read and re-read your posts and still don't understand what you did, nor why. I have put serpentine engines into vehicles that originally had V-belts and did not need to do any modifications other than to the fan shroud.

I sure hope my new 4.2 (if it ever gets built) doesn't explode from my using my 3.9 balancer on it:D

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
ptschram said:
Thom:
I've read and re-read your posts and still don't understand what you did, nor why. I have put serpentine engines into vehicles that originally had V-belts and did not need to do any modifications other than to the fan shroud.

ok picture this.

the block I used came out of a 1994 defender. the crank only had a 1" key way cut into it and that keyway was cut so the only thing it would engage with was the oil pump drive gear once the serentine cover way slid into place.

so once the serentine front cover was installed with the oil pump drive gear in place the crank left exposed was just a bare round shaft with no key way. so then the harmonic balencer would not have anything holding it indexed to the shaft.

to remedy this I extended the key way on the sahft to the full length that the serpentine block had buy cutting the crank shaft and using the longer woodruff key from the serpentine engine. It was really a pretty easy fix and took me less time to do then it has to explain to you Paul:smilelol:

Had you said that you were putting a serpentine balancer on a non-serpentine crankshaft, it would have been understood the first time around. Go back and read what you wrote, you'll understand my confusion.

You also have a good bit of the balancer unsupported as the crankshaft is quite a bit shorter. How long has this setup been running? I've been curious about the long-term implications of doing what you did. I bought a serpentine 4.2 crank to avoid having to worry about what you did.

PT

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
ptschram said:
Had you said that you were putting a serpentine balancer on a non-serpentine crankshaft, it would have been understood the first time around. Go back and read what you wrote, you'll understand my confusion.

You also have a good bit of the balancer unsupported as the crankshaft is quite a bit shorter. How long has this setup been running? I've been curious about the long-term implications of doing what you did. I bought a serpentine 4.2 crank to avoid having to worry about what you did.

PT

nope...cranks are exactly the same length...only difference was the length of keyway.

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
ptschram said:
Er, are you sure of that? I have measured them as I was of the same opinion until I measured a couple of crankshafts and found those from serpentine engines are quite a bit longer.

I'll take some pics.
So are the GEMS and Bosch engine crankshafts even longer still? I was standing in the observation deck of a 4.2 - 4.6 conversion (didn't get to get my hands dirty) done on a '95 and the new crank was about an inch or so longer than the old '95 4.2 and required the use of a spacer over the nose of the exposed crankshaft so the bolt would tighten everything down. Are there then 3 different lengths of crankshaft to deal with?

4.6 GEMS 3.5" from first journal to end of crankshaft
4.2 Lucas (serpentine) 2.75"
3.9 Lucas, (V-Belt) 2.75" short keyway
4.2 Lucas (V-belt) 2.75 short keyway

Goddamit! I'm wrong again!

OK, this is twice in the same day. I'm going to go hide in the shop and read and measure and observe and not say another freaking word until I can go back to being a right (er, correct) as Rush Limbaugh!

Apparently, I did not need to buy the serpentine crankshaft for my 4.2 project, I just needed to have the key way cut longer. Oh well, they both needed to be ground anyway so no big loss.