Water crossing gone bad...still doesn't start

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
To make a long story short, I stuck my truck in a nasty water hole. Aside from learning a valuable leason (always COMPLETELY walk the hazzard, not just 1/2 way), I now have a 97 Disco that won't start.

After doing multiple searches here, I've done/checked the following....

1) The engine cranks. The water has been cleared from the cylinders and oil/filter changed.

2) Fresh plugs but no spark.

3) No power coming to coil.

4) Cleaned crankshaft sensor.

5) There was water in the ECU. Opened to dry and cleaned with CRC electronics cleaner.

6) Cleaned MAF with CRC MAF cleaner.

7) Drained and replaced diff fluids. Transmission will be professionally flushed once I get her running again.

Any ideas on were to go next? I know she'll run again. I just need to find the right component that isn't working.

Thanks in advance!!!

Dennis

Oh yeah....I'll post pictures soon. It's too painful right now :D

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
ptschram said:
Is the fuel pump running?

I'd look to the fuel pump/EMS relay before going further.

Is that the black box that is just in front of the ECU? I have a RAVE cd but haven't had much luck finding the location in the RAVE.

Also...how do you "reset" the relay?

Lastly...why can't this be as easy are repairing a motorcycle?:D

Attachments

• The adventures of Dennis 070.jpg
    The adventures of Dennis 070.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
Dennis where the heck is your diver down flag!
I would go straight to the ecu & see if you have any output..ah after I pulled all the carpets out or that thing is going to smell like a hippie that is out of petruli.

dodge_mich

Feb 4, 2008
Wausau, WI
Lake_Bueller said:
2) Fresh plugs but no spark.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump relay if he doesn't have any spark. Start tracing from your coils back to the ECU to figure out why. If you get spark, but no fuel, THEN look to the fuel system.

:popcorn:

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
Oh man Dennis thats deep!!!

did you pull the ecu and let it dry in the sun?

was there power to the ecu when it was wet?

if the ecu is fully dried out and there is no power to the coils my gut says the ecu is going to be toast :(

stolenheron

May 1, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
nosivad_bor said:
we are going to need more pictures of the sinking to analyze the problem

roger that. i must say even though the truck is broke down at the moment that is one hell of a water crossing job you got balls, i salute you:patriot:

C

capntom

Dam dude, Sorry for your misfortune there.I've been a mechanic for 30 years now, but i just now getting my feet wet( pun intended) with Rovers. One of the things that i do when i get a wet car or truck is take all connections apart that got wet and spray them down with wd-40. I let them sit for a while, then i clean them with contact cleaner, and use some di-electric grease to repel any future moisture
This brings on a question from me, is there any available chemicals that would waterproof some of these connections?.I remember back in the day, my uncle would use this jelly that looked like vasoline, but it didn't melt, i don't remember what is was.

peter sherman

May 10, 2004
Fake Forest, IL
capntom said:
Dam dude, Sorry for your misfortune there.I've been a mechanic for 30 years now, but i just now getting my feet wet( pun intended) with Rovers. One of the things that i do when i get a wet car or truck is take all connections apart that got wet and spray them down with wd-40. I let them sit for a while, then i clean them with contact cleaner, and use some di-electric grease to repel any future moisture
This brings on a question from me, is there any available chemicals that would waterproof some of these connections?.I remember back in the day, my uncle would use this jelly that looked like vasoline, but it didn't melt, i don't remember what is was.
sterno! :bigok:

Steph

Dec 30, 2006
UK 4X4 said:
I remember back in the day, my uncle would use this jelly that looked like vasoline, but it didn't melt, i don't remember what is was

probably silicone grease

Super lube. synthetic grease won't liquify nor freeze and its clear like vasoline. In fact its clearer than vasoline.

Lake_Bueller

Aug 11, 2004
Beloit, WI
Okay...here's the story:

We are out on the trail and came to this crossing. My buddy got out and walked about half of the water. It didn't get higher than his knees so we figured there was an all clear. Entered the water at a controlled pace. Just past the halfway point, the bottom dropped out (literally!). There was a 2' cliff in the middle of the damn thing. I gunned it but the front wheels hit the 18" ledge on the other side. In the meantime, the water made it's way into the intake, thus killing the motor.

That was on June 21st. I've completely gutted the interior excecpt for the dash. I'd post some pictures but my digital camera was in the center console. Suprisingly, the carpets and rear seats came out fairly clean. The front seats are a different story. And the padding has already been carried away by my neighborhood waste collection agent.

I don't have time to get into more work tonight. I'll get back at it again tomorrow night.

My friend said it best...

Smart guys doing stupid things:D

And the best part....my wife is totally cool with the whole thing. She already has plans to make it even better:D:D

dodge_mich said:
I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump relay if he doesn't have any spark. Start tracing from your coils back to the ECU to figure out why. If you get spark, but no fuel, THEN look to the fuel system.

:popcorn:

Dude:
By chance do you know where the fuel pump relay for this truck is?

I doubt it.

OK, I'll edit this and be nice(r). The GEMS trucks, unlike your '94, the relay that controls the fuel pump also controls the ECU, ergo, if the fuel pump runs, we have presumptive proof of power at least as far as the control circuits for the relay/ECU/fuel pump, hence my question.

PT

Last edited: