How to test teh BW T-case

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Allright, so I did some hardcore off roading this weekend, and i think I might have blown my t-case, since I lost my 4WD towards the end going up a hill.
\
Anyway I was going up a hill and I heard a clank, and then power shifted to the rear wheels and I almost went off the cliff. LOL

I would like to know hopw to test to see if it is the T-case that blew up or if it was a CV Shaft.

I lifted the front left wheel and I can spin it freely while the truck is off in Park.
Also, If I remove the 5bolts on the flange on each front wheel I can spin the flange freely.

I was able to drive the truck in rear wheel drive off the trail and back to the camp site, but near the camp site after about 20 minutes of driving on the road, the truck was barely able to do like 60-70KM.
Why did it do that? It was fine earlier. I would mash the gas pedal and it would bot accelerate, just keep the speed.

The next day, I did a quick drive around the block and it seems to rev freely when driving.

Anyway, enough rambling, how do I know what I fucked up?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2007
Nashville TN
it was under my impression that a BW transfer case is unable to drive the car on one shaft due to the fact that a vicous coupling does not lock completely...

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
I can personnely vouch for the BW's ability to drive with one drive shaft removed. Mine was front wheel drive for a week.

I didn't drive it far(+-500 feet) and I wouldn't recommend doing it for a long time as the vc tends to not like that.

Oh and if you park on a incline and the rear shaft is removed use a wheel stop otherwise your truck will roll off.

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
This still doesn't answer my question of how to test it if it is good?

I mean I drove off the trail and back tot he camp in rear wheel only, so I think it locks up, but I'd like a way to definitely find out.

I was thinking of lifting all 4 corners and seeing if the front/rear d-shafts spin when in gear?

There is gotta be an easier way though?

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
I know I have seen the test procedures somewhere either on here or lro.

If I recall correctly though they die in a locked position if the vc is bad. So if you can spin a front tire with the rear on the ground the vc should be fine.

Gordo

I dont think you should be able to spin a front tire. Im betting you broke a front axle or cv but Im not 100 percent sure. To test the Vicious in the tbox, simply remove a driveshaft, in your case the front probably and see if it drives. If it drives fine w/o the front driveshaft it should be fine. If it is hard to make power (like you say) then its getting worn but still has some life in it, if it sounds like marbles slamming around in your tbox and wont move, its toasted. (this is in the WSM btw) I guess it is possible that it could lock up too but it would likely chirp around corners. I had the marble sound and it wouldnt move when mine went out, but with the driveshaft hooked up no sound at all. I noticed it when I got stuck once and only had power at the rear wheels.
While you have the driveshaft out, jack the front end up and spin a wheel, is the other one spinning the opposite direction? Maybe someone more experienced in broken axles can help but Im thinking if you lift and wheel and it spins freely you busted an axle, or cv. Gordo

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Ok, so I did a little investigating yesterday, and need all your expertise.

To check the TC, I lifted both Fr and Rr of the truck on the left side(since it is open diffs), and put it in drive. Only the REAR spins.

When the rear on the ground, wih the truck in Park, I can turn the front Left wheel.

I pulled the CV's, they look good. Not broken, shattered.

When the front is lifted, I can spin either the left or right front wheel/hub without the opposite side moving. Shouldn't it spin backwards of the way I am spinning the tire?

I have a feeling I broke the diff?
Opinions would be appreciated.

cptyarderho

Apr 23, 2004
Va
rear diffs go pretty quickly. I went through three in just over a year. If you turn a left wheel and the right does not turn the opposite direction, it is the diff. You may also have an excuse to swap for the 230. :)

luvs2getmuddy

Oct 1, 2006
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
This is actually a front diff.
When turning the left wheel, the right doesn't move at all.
I will pull the diff in the next few days. and report back.

I like the BW, I rally don;t want to change it.

repete

Feb 4, 2008
Alaska
If you say the cv's look good and your axle shafts look good, then it's going to be the front diff.
if the vc fails open there will only be power to the front. If it fails closed (more common) there will be full power to the front & rear