York OBA system done

Roxtar

I also finally got around to finishing my York OBA system.
Fitting the York under the hood is tight but doable:
1Untitled-1.jpg

2Untitled-4.jpg

Air runs to the main manifold with gauge, pressure and safety blow off switches, and quick connect.
3Untitled-1.jpg

From there it runs down to the first of two 6" X 20" air tanks.
4Untitled-1.jpg

5Untitled-2.jpg

Line running out the rear of that tank across to the second tank.
The two tanks give me just under 5 gallons of volume
6Untitled-3.jpg

From there we head back to the cargo area
7Untitled-4.jpg

8Untitled-5.jpg

Roxtar

From there we head up through the rear panel
9Untitled-7.jpg

10Untitled-8.jpg

To the rear manifold (where a gauge was too big to fit. (Smaller gauge ordered)
11Untitled-9.jpg

On wheeling days I add another 10 gal tank to the system to make sure there is no problems using air tools.
The York is the only belt driven compressor pushing enough cfm to run air tools well IMO.
12Untitled-10.jpg

The whole system is controlled by the switch next to the gauge.
13Untitled-11.jpg

lforgue8

Jul 23, 2006
MA
where did you source the hose and fittings and also the liquid filled guage? im build an oba sys as well and havent decicded the hose i want to use yet and yours looks good

alex

Apr 29, 2004
Libertyville, IL
Looks good. I have to say that's the biggest bracket I've ever seen!

BTW the stock AC compressor will run air tools just fine too.

What materials are your air tanks made of? it doesn't look like you have skid plates under them.

Roxtar

alex said:
Looks good. I have to say that's the biggest bracket I've ever seen!

BTW the stock AC compressor will run air tools just fine too.

What materials are your air tanks made of? it doesn't look like you have skid plates under them.
The bracket has to stretch to allow remounting of the PS on one side and get past the head on the other for the belt to line up.
The tanks are made of 1/8" wall, chrome ID, tube and the endcaps are 1/2" thick (and also chromed on the inside face) so they should take a pretty good beating.
They also sit slightly higher than the frame rail so the frame will still take the bulk of the contact.

Roxtar

lforgue8 said:
where did you source the hose and fittings and also the liquid filled guage? im build an oba sys as well and havent decicded the hose i want to use yet and yours looks good
Any hydraulics dealer will be able to get you that stuff.
Also, McMaster has most of it.
The hose and fittings are Gates push-on style.

McMaster has the same thing without the Gates name on it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Page 264 in the online catalog for both hose and fittings.

A

africanpete

Very nice, I'm currently trying to figure out how to get one of those into the engine bay of a TD5, not easy!

I just want to know why you need so many tanks?

pete

Roxtar

africanpete said:
Very nice, I'm currently trying to figure out how to get one of those into the engine bay of a TD5, not easy!

I just want to know why you need so many tanks?

pete
Thanks, I just wanted to get as much air volume in the system as possible while keeping things as out-of-the-way as I could.
The more volume, the easier it is for the system to keep up with supply demands.
The 5 gallons I get from the two main tanks is fine for most circumstances.
I add the extra 10 gallon tank on wheeling days in case there is a need for heavy duty air tool use.

"Nothing exceeds like excess" :D

A

africanpete

Cool, Do you know of anyone that has fitted a York to a TD5?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I'm surprised you were able to fit it under there. I think that bracket design has potential for the distributorless crowd.

I think you need to add an idler pulley between the compressor and steering pump, I can see the belt slipping when off road, and maybe even when running the compressor.

Last edited:

Roxtar

robertf said:
I'm surprised you were able to fit it under there. I think that bracket design has potential for the distributorless crowd.

I think you need to add an idler pulley between the compressor and steering pump, I can see the belt slipping when off road, and maybe even when running the compressor.
There is an idler pulley mounted to the bracket between the compressor and the crank pulley. Both the York and the PS have well over 50% belt wrap.
I've been using this for about 6 months now, on and off road (using just a temp 1 gal tank), with no slipping or belt problems at all.

A

africanpete

Roxtar said:
If you happen to have your truck around Chicago anytime... :bigok:

Er, a bit to far me thinks, I'm in Kent, England ;)

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Pete