Help! Info on Stuck Accelerator Pedal Discovery Series Two

F

farrdg

Help! Info on Stuck Accelerator Pedal Discovery Series Two

Does any one have any info on accidents or circumstances that are a result of having their foot stuck between the brake pedal and on the accelerator causing the vehicle to run-away out of control? I have heard of this happening to people on numerous occasions? with possible catastrophic results. Has their been any recalls or lawsuits filed in reference to this? I was injured (hit) by a Disco 2 that had this problem. I drive a Disco Series 1 and have not experienced this problem. Any knowledge/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Land Rover says this is not a problem, and yet I know of several people who have sold their Disco 2's for this very reason. I would like to file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Board

Thanks for your time.

Dale Farr

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
farrdg said:
Does any one have any info on accidents or circumstances that are a result of having their foot stuck between the brake pedal and on the accelerator causing the vehicle to run-away out of control?

that sucks cut i dotn think that qualifys as a factory defect, i think the driver just didnt know how to drive. I do have experience with my D2 continuing to accelerate AFTER my foot is completely off the gas pedal and pressing the brakes. another thing that LR denies, jackasses. That incident happened in a dealer parking lot and resulted in a few grand damage to a new rangie, although the cop and dealer blamed sandels, more jackasses. if thats what happened then you have a suit against LR.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Chris Browne said:
The problem here in both instances was not the vehicle but the nut behind the wheel.

Not if its a defect. having the engine continue to accelerate while your foot is off the gas pedal and on the brake does not make anyone a nut. having your foot caught between the gas pedal and brake, causing the truck to continue to accelerate is another story.

Last edited:
F

farrdg

lostinboston,

I found a service recall for the problem that you mentioned (sticking accelerator cable) for Discovery's. This was initiated in the UK some time ago; I believe that it is also in effect in the US. This could be the beginning of a class action lawsuit if enough people have had the same problem (accidents due to a defect). L/R will not admit it, but ford has issued a recall notice to that effect since they now own L/R. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Dale.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Seems to me that you are looking for someone to sue. I am not going to pass judgement on that one way or another; however, I will say that if this is your intent you should contact a good lawyer bfeore blabbing your mouth off on a BBS.

Yes - there was a recall (if I recall) on a sticking throttle cable issue a while back. Whether this was handled correctly by the "at fault" driver, previous owners, dealers, or LRNA is an issue that is left to countrys judicial system. Either way, if you were not at fault it will probably not make much difference at the settlement table. Why something went wrong is not nearly as important as the results of the incedent.

J

Javelinadave

farrdg said:
lostinboston,

This could be the beginning of a class action lawsuit if enough people have had the same problem (accidents due to a defect).
Dale.

Great idea! Go to a web site and threaten a lawsuit to the binding glue of every member here! What is next, a Knights of Columbus web site to find people to file lawsuits against the Pope! GET A LIFE! I am sure that the distance between you gas and brake pedal are exactly the same as in any other car or truck.
When I was in college a guy ran into my car. I remember being so mad that I could hardly speak. This "moron" has run into and damaged my "pride and joy". The Cop made a comment that it was called an accident because it was an accident. If it wasn't, they call it something else like reckless driving, vehicular assault... etc.

Farrdg, do you really own a Disco or are you some lawyer out trolling for some business? This thread leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. If I am off base, flame away. If I am on target please let it rip at Farrdg.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Dave,
Yo have a good point, Farrdg shouldn't have threatened a class action suit against LR right away, although i doubt that it will have little affect, if any, on most of the members here. If he was hit because of a known defect in D2's then i think he has every right to sure LR. and there is a knows defect. if there was a person in front of my car when it accelerated, the person may be dead, but luckily it was a rangie there instead. if the driver that hit him however just didnt get his foot off the gas, then that driver is a moron and should take all responsibility for it and not blame LR for their mistake. We should really get the side of teh driver of the D2 that hit him.

-Rick

F

farrdg

Yes I really own a disco series one (1999) and I have spent a lot of time getting it just the way I want it for off roading. No Poser here. I am not threatening a lawsuit, just looking for information. My right knee was damaged when a Disco 2 crashed through a wall at a L/R dealership after the driver (L/R Tech) lost control of the car while backing it up for delivery to a customer. Unfortunately it was my knee that was damaged, unfortunately it is my professional career as a commercial pilot and the future effects of damage done to my knee as I get older that are at stake. I certainly hope that you are never in the same situation. Dave you are pretty quick to judge without knowing facts. When was the last time that you had to have surgery done for something that was not your fault? I am not a shyster, and I am not looking for big bucks, just information so that a complaint can be filed with the National Highway and Transportation Safety Board! They can figure it out from there. I know of four other people who have had the same run-away problem and had their vehicles damaged when the accelerator cable stuck on their Disco 2?s as well. I think that it would have been nice to know that this was a problem before accidents occurred. This bulletin board is a great source for disseminating and receiving information. Fare is fare, if you have a know defect then step up to the plate and take responsibility for it by fixing it and getting the word out. By the way Dave, as far as the bad taste in your mouth goes, try taking your foot out of it first.

Let Her RIP Sport!!!!

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
farrdg said:
a result of having their foot stuck between the brake pedal and on the accelerator causing the vehicle to run-away out of control?

Dale,
You have every right to be pissed/upset/whatever about what happened and it effectign your carreer. did you try going after the dealership that it happened at? Which dealership was it btw? i sounds like the fault of the driver in this case.
What happened sucks, but id start local before going after LR as a whole. You deserve compensation, what have they done so far? Did the police report say that their foot was stuck between the brake and gas pedal?

F

farrdg

I am taking care of this locally and unfortunately accidents do happen. The National Transportation Highway Safety Act/Board (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm) (not the NTSB which investigates aircraft accidents) tracks allot of auto issues so that complaints can turn into recalls when serious problems are identified. The current question is in fact whether or not it was a stuck foot under the brake pedal that was wedged on top of the accelerator, or an accelerator cable that actually was stuck (per L/R recall), causing the driver to loose control? I?m waiting for a copy of the police report as well as a copy of the report from the insurance investigator. As far as reporting a defect, it costs nothing other than a few minutes of your time, and if enough complaints are filed due to numerous occurrences of the same event a recall is issued. Hopefully more accidents are prevented by identifying a problem that has the potential for tragic results. I am not out to slam anyone, but if something such as this can be prevented and it is the result of a suspected or known defect or design flaw then it should be reported. As far as the actual accident goes, you are on your own and responsible for all medical bills, lost wages etc. etc. until everything is stabilized, only then can you get your medical bills, lost wages etc. etc. paid for. This is the same thing that happens to you if you get T-boned in an intersection by another driver who ran a stop sign. It is called Third Party Liability and it?s your nickel until its all said and done. Check your insurance (hope your covered) since each state is different. I'm certainly not angry just inconvenienced. Enough said.

Thanks for the advice and information.

J

Javelinadave

farrdg said:
Dave you are pretty quick to judge without knowing facts.
farrdg,
Re-read your first set of posts. You came across like you were trying to find a bunch of LR owners to come testify in your lawsuit. Your last post explained things a lot better to all of us. I to am a professional pilot so I now understand where you are coming from and why. I am sure that the LR dealer has lots on liability insurance to cover the driving of their employees and the damage done to both you and your Disco. Good luck. :D

hywy61

May 25, 2004
atlanta, ga
give the guy a break

little harsh gentleman.

The accelerator cable is defective on DIIs so that could have been the reason. This guy was injured as a result or either the cable or the tech. Sounds like an accident but LR is responsible.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
inconvienced..
I'd be pissed.
Let me know when you file a complaint and if there is an ongoing file about it, ill file something to. I doubt the police report will say its a sticking throttle cable without proof, something they couldnt prove with my accident. hope everything works out.

nickb857

Apr 21, 2004
Las Vegas
Rick, I found that recall in Austrailia, it is for a throtle cable sticking, here it is and a link to the site.

Land Rover Discovery V8 Vehicles - Campaign D150
Date: 22/03/2004

Supplier: Premier Automotive Group Australia Pty Ltd - T/A Land Rover Australia

Category: Motor Vehicles

Product Info: Model Year 2003.

Defect details: The affected vehicles could experience the throttle sticking intermittently during operation; the exact point of sticking is not predictable and can result in a higher engine speed than expected.

Consumer action: Please contact your authorised Land Rover Dealer.

Make: Land Rover

Model: V8 Discovery Vehicles

Model Years From: 2003

Consequences: In the case where a throttle fails to return to idle after a high degree of engine throttle application, the driver will experience difficulty in bringing the vehicle to rest.

Campaign Number: D150

Market Coverage: National

Recall Coverage: National

http://www.recalls.gov.au/search.cfm?psa_id=10508&keyword=land rover&rcl_type=recalls_vehicle