Nirvana = 'a dry ECU' - got clever ideas?

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Help please. I have a 97 Discovery.
I am looking for some creative approaches to keep your ECU dry.
I have heard they need to stay vented due to the heat.

I pulled out my windshield washer reservoir to make room for your creative ideas.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
stop driving in water?

mike slade put his Serious one wiring in a tupperware box IIRC
pm him, or search on his site.

marc olivares said:
stop driving in water?

mike slade put his Serious one wiring in a tupperware box IIRC
pm him, or search on his site.

Mike's ECU is in a box either made by Pelican, or very similar to it. His truck uses a Holley pro-jection system (IIRC) so I don't know about its need to breathe. To be honest, I was more aghast over the busted up fenders to pay much attention to the injection system:D

As for keeping a GEMS ECU dry, I wonder if spraying the circuit boards with a poly product wouldn't be a good start, along with some dielectric grease on the connectors, silicone sealant on the seams of the box and a hose barb and long hose running to a high point to allow for some breathing of the box.

There was a car wash in Fort Wayne with my business card taped next to the phone. It seemed as though every time a GEMS Disco went through, I'd get a call about a non-running truck.

taskforce121

Mar 28, 2007
Bowling Green, KY
I opened my ECU up and sprayed it down with "Strike-Hold". I also sprayed the connecters and all other electrical components under the hood. No problems with rain and high humidity starting/ rough running issues since.

phil
94 and 97 Disco I

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
MM, great idea!
Marc, I live in swampland, hence water/mudd is our terrain. I tried that link, but it did not work. I will try to reach MS.
PT, what kind of Poly product were you thinking about?
Phil, I will try that stuff, especially on my guns, but cracking the ECU and spraying it inside.... ? That is gutsy to say the least, but no problems huh?

On my Disco, the ECU was bolted to the side panel and angled (standard arrangement I think). The lower portion of the ECU had a mud-line across and the lowest pin connectors were submurged so I can only imagine my previous di-electric pass helped some, but not enough.

Keep'em coming if anyone else has something creative.

gmookher

Oct 30, 2004
Grand Canyon State
I've resolved that a non diesel rover is just not a good candidate for submarine use... you can try to keep water out sometimes you just end up keeping water in...

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Thanks Paul.

GM, it's not typical that we submurge our rigs, however, it is typical (by choice of course) that we look for the trails that are, but I know what you mean and thanks.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
ALL RIGHT!
After reading older threads, I came across Phil's entry about his use of Strike-Hold for his connections. Sorry Phil, I was skeptical until I read your older post, which made me go to the SH site. Pretty impressive, hope I am not being fooled.

Phil, how often do you re-apply SH to your connections?

Looks like some type of box, grommets for harness, Strike-Hold for everything.

B

bazzle

If you put it in a box, put a tiny hole on one side thru a breather and run a T off your air compressor to pos pressure the box, only a small bleed in is required. You dont need a large airflow just enough to hold a few pounds pressure.

Bazzle

R_Lefebvre

Dec 10, 2007
For radio controlled boats, we put the radio reciever into a balloon, ziptie the end shut around the wires and then a bit of RTV to seal it up. I'm not sure how that could be done on a Disco, but just throwing it out there to generate ideas.

What about my 04? Does it need to be vented for heat?

The positive pressure idea is brilliant.

taskforce121

Mar 28, 2007
Bowling Green, KY
I have only recently began using the Strike-Hold. Removed the ECU, cleaned the outside, unscrewed one side, drenched the interior with SH, closed up, unscrewed the other side and repeated. Have only done this once, and the results have been: No return of rough idle on startup, starts and runs well in wet and high humidity (did not run well in these conditions, before I put the SH on the ECU). As to the process being scary, heck yeah I was scared the darn thing wouldn't start again, but when it fired right up, man I could have danced a jig. I keep a can of SH in each truck now. Additionally, I used Blue RTV on everything, and plugged the myriad of holes in the wheel well under the ECU, and in the harness, and in the drain from the windshield.

phil
94 and 97 Disco I

Last edited:

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Thanks Phil. That is exactly what I did to my ECU, opened her up, some mud on the bottom, cleaned, then sprayed S-H on front/back of each board.
Now the ECU has a good seal of silicone on the outside.
I have not plugged her back in yet since I am going through all connections and using di-electric grease after I soak these connections with S-H.
I even soaked my altenator with S-H.
I will update this thread once she is back together.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
I wanted to get the ECU inside a box. I searched high and low for anything that would fit the need, 10x9x3 that is waterproof. After searching, I found stuff, but hey, I am a cheap-bastard and did not want to drop $40 on a box that will be cut-up.
So I picked my brother?s brain and he said, ?build your own!?
?With what??
?Plexiglas, acrylic, lexan or what-ever?? Ahhhh, great idea!

Below are a few pictures of the end result, without the final top glued on.

Go-on, laugh it up, it is ugly, but hopefully functional. Besides, the ECU itself is sealed all around.
I am Ok with it for $7 for the acrylic sheet and $6 for the plastic epoxy.

Next weekend, she will be tested during the Florida Land Rover Spring Rally where we run through the Withlacoochee swamps.

No drain-holes nor breather lines, which can be added very easily.
The pink things are cut-up floaties for side/bottom cushion support.
The acrylic box itself is bolted to the brackets.
If the ECU has to come out, the box will get destroyed, but simple enough to build a better one.
If I had to do this again, the sides would be one continuous piece of acrylic and a bit thicker.

Attachments

• IMAGE_001.jpg
    IMAGE_001.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAGE_002.jpg
    IMAGE_002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAGE_003.jpg
    IMAGE_003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 108

taskforce121

Mar 28, 2007
Bowling Green, KY
Lutz, My that is quite the contraption, but bottom line, if it works, it's great. You may be in line to succeed Rube Goldberg as "Rover Creative Genius". Let us know how it turns out!!!

phil
67 Series IIA
94 and 97 Disco I

bodhizattva

Mar 5, 2007
New York
twitter.com
It was once suggested to me by a master tech/EU grease monkey to move it into the cabin and put it above the headliner.. I don't know how feasible this is but I thought I would offer it up to the boards for comment..

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Now that Rusty S mentioned my plexi glass ECU box in his water crossing 101 thread, time to respond on how it has held-up so far.

The box was covered with strips of that insulation-tape to prevent engine heat from possibly warping the box. Yea, kinda thin plexiglass.
Anywho, afer 3 recent runs in the swamps, each run taking water over the hood on crossings, mud everywhere inside the engine bay, the ECU box is dry inside. Since it is somewhat transparent, I can see everything inside this box and so far, no traces of anything.
Right now, I am happy with the results.